Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #29

Predicted reliability?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Predicted reliability?
X2. Anyone quoting consumer report as some sort of bible is mistaken. The ONLY way to do a survey is to study and know what the real and unintended biases are and CR does none of that. It is well known that the CR survey's are uncontrolled reports of their uncontrolled reader base and are not real statistics. They have been (unintentionally) biased toward the Japanese automakers for many years.

Read these surveys with a grain of salt, but they are worth looking at if you realize what is going on.

Just saying.

I drive a 2007 (pre DEF) Chebby Duramax 3/4 ton short bed ext cab and LOVE it. Same length as a conventional pickup, and parks in a reasonable space. Plenty of tow and payload for up to a 32 fter (I have a 30 ft now).

Best of all worlds, but I am not bias, really, I'm not.. Really.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #31

My '78 has a 18 leaf rear suspension on the rear axle and has been towing trailers for 30 years you'll never read about a 2013 truck still towing 30 years from now. Replaced a water pump on the side of a Montana hwy it took two hours and cost me $64.00 for the parts and my sweat. I never have to budget truck repairs in my travels
Old 12-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgreenacres View Post
My '78 has a 18 leaf rear suspension on the rear axle and has been towing trailers for 30 years you'll never read about a 2013 truck still towing 30 years from now. Replaced a water pump on the side of a Montana hwy it took two hours and cost me $64.00 for the parts and my sweat. I never have to budget truck repairs in my travels
That's just [moderator edit] an opinion. You have no idea if a 2013 truck will be still pulling 30yrs from now.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #33

Aluminum engine blocks don't last 30 years and neither does plastic.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #34

Actually plastic lasts forever, lol! Today's half tons are rated for more weight than older 3/4 trucks. Personally I don't want to be changing water pumps on the side of the road and I love the new technology such as AC seats, built in navigation systems, Bluetooth capabilities and so on so I get a new one every 3 years. But to each their own. I used to not mind driving and working on older vehicles, but anymore I'd rather it not be my daily driver on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #35

We have a 13 F250 4X4 CC short bed which I ordered last spring. Rated to tow 15K fifth wheel. It has factory prep for fifth wheel or goose neck ball and factory bed liner and overload springs. 4.30 posi gears and the 6.2 V8. Factory trailer brake controller and aux switches. Heated cooled seats in front and heated in back. Will pull a 10 to 12K fiver with no problems, and some room to spare. I don't need a diesel dulley to pull what I pull by a pickup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	51667  
Old 12-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #36

But if I really want to haul the dually type loads, I like a 625 HP Cat, 18 speed auto, 3.55 full locking rear ends (both) and even heated leather seats. And Goodyear tires, lol. 2050 FPT.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	72
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	51669  
Old 12-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
But if I really want to haul the dually type loads, I like a 625 HP Cat, 18 speed auto, full locking rear ends (both) and even heated leather seats. And Goodyear tires, lol. 2050 FPT.
Kinda hard to park it at the Olive Garden after you unhook at the campground though, haha!
Old 12-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #38

Guess you need all the communication and navigation stuff to locate a dealer with a tow truck to come fix you're rig . As far as the heated and cooled seats I had my 78 interior done by a custom shop with air ride bucket seats heated and cooled for alot less than a new truck cost. But for some they can only work with a pen and check book the rest of us love to get our hands dirty and say I fixed it.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
Kinda hard to park it at the Olive Garden after you unhook at the campground though, haha!
Not any harder then this! Hooters maybe, don't much care for the Olive Garden. High priced bread, salad and pasta.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	65
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	51673  
Old 12-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus661 View Post
Since there is Ford, Dodge, and GMC I am sure everyone has a certain company/brand they prefer. What I am looking for is what brand, size, motor truck dually or not, 4WD or 2WD you use to pull your fifth wheel. I plan on purchasing a truck within 18 months and would like any input you can offer. Why did you purchase it over the others? What kind of fuel mileage do you get?
All I'm saying is that there is other options available. Going to a dealer and writing out a huge check for a new truck is one option I avoided you can find a old truck and fix it up to your liking for alot less. It's more fun rving when you don't have a loan payment every month
Old 12-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgreenacres View Post
Guess you need all the communication and navigation stuff to locate a dealer with a tow truck to come fix you're rig . As far as the heated and cooled seats I had my 78 interior done by a custom shop with air ride bucket seats heated and cooled for alot less than a new truck cost. But for some they can only work with a pen and check book the rest of us love to get our hands dirty and say I fixed it.
Ok, like I said to each their own, you have fun working on your truck on the side of the road and I'll have fun playing golf and we will both be happy!
Old 12-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #42

navigation,heated and cooled seats,DVD players, and all that BS does not make a truck pull any better. its what one can afford and what one needs. I use to work on trucks but not in the last 10 years or so,At that time the chevy was best in its class. Dodge was junk all it had going for it was the cummins option.Ford 350 was a well built truck but the diesels were causing all kinds of grief.GM had just come out with the duramax etc.fast forward to 2013 and I think one will find all three have their pros and cons but are all very comparable nowadays. again it all depends on the size of the 5er.I personally like the dually idea for a large 5er but then I don't like trying to park at the resturants etc so its what each persons personal wants and needs. I was a die hard chevy man but looking at 2014 trucks I think I would buy the one I could land the best overall deal on