Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRvnut View Post
navigation,heated and cooled seats,DVD players, and all that BS does not make a truck pull any better. its what one can afford and what one needs. I use to work on trucks but not in the last 10 years or so,At that time the chevy was best in its class. Dodge was junk all it had going for it was the cummins option.Ford 350 was a well built truck but the diesels were causing all kinds of grief.GM had just come out with the duramax etc.fast forward to 2013 and I think one will find all three have their pros and cons but are all very comparable nowadays. again it all depends on the size of the 5er.I personally like the dually idea for a large 5er but then I don't like trying to park at the resturants etc so its what each persons personal wants and needs. I was a die hard chevy man but looking at 2014 trucks I think I would buy the one I could land the best overall deal on
I agree with everything you said except for the last part, I like the extras, makes the journey so much more enjoyable. I use the ac seats even in the winter on long trips, it's great. It really depends on the size of your trailer as to how much truck you need but the newer 1/2 tons are rated for more weight than the 70s 3/4 ton trucks. The 70s fords are great trucks though, they really do last forever, I have a 67, 70, 75 and two 79 Ford 1/2 tons on the farm and still use them for various tasks. Not gonna take them on a long road trip when I can take a 2013 instead though.
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRvnut
navigation,heated and cooled seats,DVD players, and all that BS does not make a truck pull any better. its what one can afford and what one needs. I use to work on trucks but not in the last 10 years or so,At that time the chevy was best in its class. Dodge was junk all it had going for it was the cummins option.Ford 350 was a well built truck but the diesels were causing all kinds of grief.GM had just come out with the duramax etc.fast forward to 2013 and I think one will find all three have their pros and cons but are all very comparable nowadays. again it all depends on the size of the 5er.I personally like the dually idea for a large 5er but then I don't like trying to park at the resturants etc so its what each persons personal wants and needs. I was a die hard chevy man but looking at 2014 trucks I think I would buy the one I could land the best overall deal on

I agree with everything you said except for the last part, I like the extras, makes the journey so much more enjoyable. I use the ac seats even in the winter on long trips, it's great. It really depends on the size of your trailer as to how much truck you need but the newer 1/2 tons are rated for more weight than the 70s 3/4 ton trucks. The 70s fords are great trucks though, they really do last forever, I have a 67, 70, 75 and two 79 Ford 1/2 tons on the farm and still use them for various tasks. Not gonna take them on a long road trip when I can take a 2013 instead though.

Ok what don't you agree with regarding what I posted regarding the the purchase of any 2014
McRvnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #45

Going for the cheapest one and not getting all the extra features/nicest interior. I thought I was pretty clear. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
Going for the cheapest one and not getting all the extra features/nicest interior. I thought I was pretty clear. Sorry for the confusion.
Ok but you said "I agree with everything you said except for the last part,"

you should have said "first part" that's where the confusion comes from
thanks for the reply
McRvnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRvnut View Post

Ok but you said "I agree with everything you said except for the last part,"

you should have said "first part" that's where the confusion comes from
thanks for the reply
Yea sorry, I agree with the first part though, it doesn't make it pull any better, but I still like it, lol!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I have been a member of the oldest Ram/Cummins forum - Turbodiesel Register - since 2000 and don't see "lots of owners" complaining about emissions system problems. These types of unsubstantiated statements are specifically what iRV2's Community Rules prohibiting brand wars are addressing.

Rusty

I am a Ford tech but have been hearing similar things (a co-workers son works for a local Ram dealer). A fleet customer of ours got rid of their 6.0L truck because of issues and purchased a 13 Ram with a Cummins. They have been having multiple issues with (emissions and turbo related). They are not happy to say the least. I cant remember if it was 4500 and 5500 that were having the issues or the 2500/3500. But im pretty sure it was the 4500/5500 engines based on their current fleet.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #49

Texas Boomers Club
It's strange to me that a Ford tech is so current on 6.7L Cummins problems that those of us who have them don't seem to experience but doesn't bother to mention C&C exhaust valve failures (cracked valves that take out pistons, heads and require a long block replacement), turbocharger failures, fuel pump problems, etc. with the Powerstroke 6.7L. I guess you've never seen any of those?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #50

Let's not be starting brand wars now, it's against the rules!
Old 12-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #51

Texas Boomers Club
Just demonstrating that the blade slices both directions. This is specifically why brand wars are not permitted.

Rusty
Old 12-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #52

And don't forget volvo semi trucks with the cylinder sleeves dropping. And cat who stopped building road engines because the epa standards were ridiculous. It doesn't matter what name is on the hood government regulations are rediculous and should be stopped. Remove all the emissions get better mileage use less fuel and produce less pollution.
jrgreenacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #53

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgreenacres View Post
It doesn't matter what name is on the hood government regulations are rediculous and should be stopped. Remove all the emissions get better mileage use less fuel and produce less pollution.
Not gonna happen. In case you haven't noticed, the EPA is wise to the "deletes" and is cracking down on the tuner companies (Edge, H&S, Smarty, etc.) who have been supplying them. Edge got smacked with a $500,000 fine - see HERE.

Rusty
Old 12-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #54

Quote:
Just demonstrating that the blade slices both directions. This is specifically why brand wars are not permitted.

Rusty
Haha, ya, you seem the most intent to start one though, I actually like the rams. Good thing you aren't a chevy guy, you probably would've banned me, lol!
Old 12-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #55

Quote:
It's strange to me that a Ford tech is so current on 6.7L Cummins problems that those of us who have them don't seem to experience but doesn't bother to mention C&C exhaust valve failures (cracked valves that take out pistons, heads and require a long block replacement), turbocharger failures, fuel pump problems, etc. with the Powerstroke 6.7L. I guess you've never seen any of those?

Rusty
I didn't know we were talking about the Ford 6.7L. I don't rely on internet forums to get my info. I was just stating what an actual Ram tech and current Ram owner was saying. That is why I started out with where I work. Guess I got your panties in a bunch a little stating first hand info and not internet info. I never said they were junk or unreliable. NEVER ONCE did I bad mouth anything or anyone so chill.

But yes, the first few months of Ford 6.7L chassis cab (F450/F550) had an issue with faulty exhaust valves (TSB). Turbos are very rare for failures (again I have first hand knowledge on these and not internet knowledge) and some high pressure fuel pump failures. But when brand F sells almost 50% more trucks than brand R, there will be some issues. 2011 and 2012, brand F sold 322,097 Superduties, brand R sold 170,592.

BTW, I have a good friend that has one of the first 6.7Ls in a chassis cab configuration. He has almost 90K trouble free miles. However I did tell him about the valve issue and recommended an extended warranty up to 200K. Just in case. I don't hide anything.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #56

Government is out of control . They have the do as I say not as I do attitude. If emissions is such a problem then all government vehicles should be battery operated.lol
jrgreenacres is offline   Reply With Quote