Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #71

Texas Boomers Club
I never said that no Cummins B-series engines have any issues. Rather, I said that I haven't had any issues with mine. All brands have shops whose mechanics manage to make a pretty good living, so obviously maintenance and repairs are needed - if man built it, then by definition, it isn't perfect, regardless of whose brand is on the badge. Yes, even our large industrial diesels require service, so we maintain a worldwide field service group to support our customers. That's the nature of the machinery business.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Now, now boys. We all know every engine has "some" problems due to our dear old friend Mr. Murphy.

In this case, I will have to defer to Rusty for general engine engineering and design. Notice that I have a 6.7L Powerstroke.

However, having worked in the field in another industrial area, technicians are the eyes and ears we have to trust for some information from the field. But I have seen numerous times a technician take off down the wrong rabbit hole due to a lack of design knowledge.

But you do need maintenance to keep anything running.

So I think we have had enough discussion on this point as it is winding up as a whizzing contest that no one will win.

All of the big 3 build pretty decent trucks now, but they all have had certain issues. I still say, drive them all, and make your best deal for the one that is rated to pull your trailer.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #73
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
OK folks.

Let's knock off the personal comments and discuss the issue and not each other.

No one is required to justify their opinions, statements, thoughts, ideas, etc.

Members are required to respectfully disagree with one another.

Thanks.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:14 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus661 View Post
Since there is Ford, Dodge, and GMC I am sure everyone has a certain company/brand they prefer. What I am looking for is what brand, size, motor truck dually or not, 4WD or 2WD you use to pull your fifth wheel. I plan on purchasing a truck within 18 months and would like any input you can offer. Why did you purchase it over the others? What kind of fuel mileage do you get?
Soooooooooooooo, OP, have you been thoroughly enlightened and educated by all these responses ? You would think that some of these folks were told they had an ugly dog or a stupid kid. Sounds like instead of worrying about engines, transmissions, differentials, suspensions, and DEF, some need to worry about blood pressure.
Good luck and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOODNIGHT !
BigBill3111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:21 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBill3111 View Post
Soooooooooooooo, OP, have you been thoroughly enlightened and educated by all these responses ? You would think that some of these folks were told they had an ugly dog or a stupid kid. Sounds like instead of worrying about engines, transmissions, differentials, suspensions, and DEF, some need to worry about blood pressure.
Good luck and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOODNIGHT !
So true Bill. They all make good trucks now days, they just cost as much as my first two homes combined! We are in North Las Vegas, came out to escape the Kansas cold. Just to find more cold, but its a dry cold. Lol. The DW wants to drag me down your way tomorrow to look at another house. We are about 20 miles from the airport and she wants something closer. I kind of like it up here. But what I like may not be, what I get.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #76

2012 Ford F-350 SRW diesel CC

I am in the market for a new (to me) truck to tow my Montana Fifth wheel.

Since we only have one vehicle - a dually is out of the question,
Thinking of going an used 2012 or 2013 to keep the payments low.

I am finding a whole of 2012 F350 on the lots or in the classifies -
is/was there a problem with this year/model that I should avoid?

Can not find a single GMC 3500HD..

I have been using a 2005 RAM 2500 diesel (125K miles) replaced transmission at 90K - but the Montana seems to drag the truck down on grades. I have had many tell you got the best truck for towing - Do Not Trade up.

THANKS
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe in Texas View Post

I have been using a 2005 RAM 2500 diesel (125K miles) replaced transmission at 90K - but the Montana seems to drag the truck down on grades. I have had many tell you got the best truck for towing - Do Not Trade up.

THANKS
Don't waste your money on a used one. The best used truck is the one you know.
The tranny might need help but engine can be programmed for more torque.
I have been using Hypertech on my 2005 F250 for 7 years and it mows the hills.
If 2 wheel drive you might want to up the rear end ratio.
The trucks not on the lots are the best ones. A Ford I would wait till 2013. 2 years after rebuild.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #78

Send a message via Yahoo to ranchn2
On the duramax diesel pulling a 10,000# fifth wheel on the flat, in overdrive, what does the oil pressure read? Jim
ranchn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:00 AM   #79

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe in Texas View Post

THANKS
Your good to go with any Ford 2011 or later with the 6.7L. I drive a DRW as an every day driver. I logged 38K as it turned 1 year old last weekend. It can be done and there's no comparison in towing.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #80

Ram changed to the bigger 6.7L diesel around 2007 and went with the 6 speed transmission which pulls the hills awesome. A friend caravans with us using a 2012 3/4 as a tow vehicle pulling about 11,000 lbs 5er and it does great on the hills.
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post

Never heard that said about a Dodge transmission before, lol! Dodge has come a long way in the last few years. I looked at and wouldn't have even considered a 2010 ram. I do like the 13 rams though, they have much better fit and finish than the 10s and have incorporated more technology in the interiors. Didn't like the Chevys, the Duramax is a great motor but the interiors are lacking with poor fit and finish and the square fenders are ugly IMO. They have really went downhill in quality since 2008. My decision was between the Ram and the f350 Platinum 6.7. Ultimately I went with the Platinum because I heard nothing but great things about the powerstroke and heard that Dodge was having lots of problems with their emissions system. The interior on the Platinum was also a bit nicer and I absolutely love it! Only thing I don't like is the 26 gal fuel tank on the 6.5 bed, the 8ft ones have a 36 or something bigger. I will be replacing it soon with a 50 gal titan replacement tank and removing the emissions system and adding a tuner. Haven't towed much yet, just got it in August, 3000 miles so far. gets 18-19mpg at 68mph flat land no wind.
, got 23-24 at 55mph! My campers pretty light, only around 9000 pounds so I'm hoping I get much better than 10mpg towing it like people here are saying is their average towing mpgs. My f150 got 13mpg pulling it at 68mph, 2100 rpms. If you don't care too much about the exterior looks or the nicest interior with the best technology any of the three are very capable machines and should serve you well. Personally I would never buy a truck that wasn't 4x4, especially for towing, unless perhaps you never drive in snow and never leave the highway. i've seen 2wd trucks not pulling anything get stuck in wet grass, lol!
You better think real hard before you start pulling emmisons off . The factory ecm is pretty tricky to get around . Just saying.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post

You better think real hard before you start pulling emmisons off . The factory ecm is pretty tricky to get around . Just saying.
Actually its pretty easy, it's just expensive. You just have to press a button. Lots of people have done it.
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post

Actually its pretty easy, it's just expensive. You just have to press a button. Lots of people have done it.
When you break down and all your emisson garbage is at home dont plan on any warrenty engine work. I would wait untill the warrenty expired . JMO
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post

When you break down and all your emisson garbage is at home dont plan on any warrenty engine work. I would wait untill the warrenty expired . JMO
Fully aware of this, not worried about it. Fairly well guaranteed to increase reliability by removing the emissions crap. That's usually the first think to break. Lol
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote