Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #15

go back to post #5 and click on the line ,you will have days of reading
in short
-no CDL
-mine weighs 16,000# get 9+ mpg
-tighter and shorter turning (more maneuverable) then my last pickup
-by FAR a more comfortable drive,double sealed doors 3" thick floor etc etc
-carry a car (I have seen a F150 on top) or a bunch of harleys
-pulls any grade any any legal speed........from a dead stop at the bottom
-cheaper and longer lasting then any pickup,and unless you need that 'new truck smell' by far cheaper
-even insurance was cheaper
overkill?
how?

hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #16

nothing wrong with overkill! It's the "underkill" that will get ya!

Old 01-17-2015, 01:57 PM   #17

Underkill is serious, You know I remember in High School I had a Chevy Luv p/u and I would load that thing down untill it almost rubbed the ground. Looking back at my silliness I will not do that anymore. I have a rule at my shop. "If you wont let your mother drive it then it isnt fixed." Once a officer stopped me while I was questionably towing a mobile home for a friend with a 6.9 ford 3/4 ton . And he said "what your doing is understandably illegal and do-able" but then with his grandpa look, he said "my wife and family , my daughter travels this rural road and I am just minutes in front of them. Would you mind to spare their lives? " He got back in his cruiser and left me alone. But I question from then on what I tow and how. Not what I can get away with.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #18

I was looking at a Sterling localy, 995,000 mi C15 10 spd. The CDL part doesnt bother me in the slightest. And at 9200.00 it seems a bargain. And I use these engines in the Yachts we repair at the shop so they don't scare me with miles. And 6-9 mpg isnt a big deal. I think a 1 ton gets about 8 pulling my camper. And in 1 post I saw where someone spoke of a MDT or HDT with a truck bed and that is what I think I will go with.
A HDT minus rear axle will be a MDT but with a kool f350 style bed or similar. My camper project is supposed to wrapped black with a brownish gold flare and I may re apply the front Teton decal? Unknown really if I want that. SO a black Sterling truck with flares will look pretty fancy yet inexpensive.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:49 PM   #19

Drive it first ,from what everybody says the long haul trucks (HDT) are the most comforable, Quiet and smooth.Regional trucks (day cabs) are rough and noisey and unless you are lucky -underpowered.
If your style is long distance travel ,get a long distance truck.There is always a few for sale on the HDT truck forum ready to go, full decks ,car loaders ,all sorted out.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #20

Another thing with the sterling is you can plate it 'motorhome' ? if you can't do that many of the benefits of "RV" are not available .
You may have to scale it , I don't . you may find plates and reg pricey,look into insurance,motorhomes are usually cheap to insure.
Long experience has led us to the set back axle HDT with a sleeper and auto,so the wife can drive it, or you if you suffer the slightest leg or hip injury,at least vacation is not ruined.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #21

I agree, the C15 is very overkill. yet the reliable CAT engines and especially their strait 6 configuration is a winner. The power is a bit more than I need at 430 hp new , probably somewhere in the 400 range now. I went for a drive in it. It is clean, drove well enough for a retired long haul truck. I have to take the information to the shop Monday
to see if it can be down classed and as I forgot , check with the insurance to see the amount. The truck store dropped the price by email if I jump in 7 days to 7200.00 so I may go batter up and see how cheap it may get? I wasn't really serious to buy now but that price has me thinking a good deal may come out of it?
I do see a engine rebuild in its future though, it is a owner operator truck and the hour meter was ridiculous , he must have had it idle a lot. But with paint,tires,batteries to make it new. I should still be under 10,000 and a in frame rebuild is about 4000.00 in parts. But it has another 100,000 mi easily before the need. I liked the body lines on it , it seems to look aerodynamic and it has a airdam on the sleeper for the camper.. Im not sure how to insert a image , but I am more curious on how this works , there are many choices for the truck.. I was amazed by the number of them available.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:23 PM   #22

They can be a bit of a challenge in a drive-thru, but doable. Usually have to turn the engine off to place an order. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
If you want to see a guy who builds real nice trucks go here RV Haulers | RV Haulers I have been following him almost from the begining, watch some of his videos nice stuff.
93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:47 PM   #24

We paid 19k for ours this past November. Can't buy a new dually for that! Volvo 610 that has 450k on it, air hitch, Cummins M11 and Rockwell 10 speed trans that you float shift.
Every time we move, I wonder why I didn't do this sooner.
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:41 PM   #25

Hello Rollondown, I think with my business and in the Houston are they have CDL enforcement out like mad. I been pulled with my goosneck 3 times and I barely escaped a ticket each time. Most of my competitors have already been hit so it will be a company truck for me. Now I can tow boats on the goosneck with no worries and the 5er when I want away.
And yes Harley, lol .. Turning the engine off at MCd's is a good idea . I hope they have a really tall employee to hand the food up..
How do you guys park in a rv park? Is it usually easy?
Old 01-18-2015, 06:37 AM   #26

I have been to every park I ever went to with my SD,When I said MORE maneuverable then my pickup I was not exaggerating -MORE- .The wheel cut of 50 degrees or more ,singled and only 2' longer then a long bed pickup I go to wal-mart with the wife and park anywhere
(back in)the footprint is the same , after all we all use the same width roads right?
Now the height of 13' keeps us out of the drivethrou.
State and provincial parks are not as diligent keeping trees trimmed back ,but branches brushing the steel sleeper is preferred to rubbing on the rubber roof of the trailer.
Duel use (commercial & RV) is a quagmire,two members on the escapees are DOT officers,one from Cali and the other Texas ,duel use is a big red flag and a instant pull over to them.
Trying to have your cake and eating it too is revenue for the state to them.
dont do it.
Have a dedicated hauler separate from any business,haul only your personal (rv) trailer and you will be fine .
Ask the amateur car racers or horse people evn if no money is made and all you get is a trophy or ribbon ,they consider you 'for profit'
and thats a nightmare
Old 01-18-2015, 11:34 PM   #28

I think the fear is having a DOT number and a class A or B? But that isnt that bad to get to be legal. I have a few cheap trucks in the past and I should have kept them if I would have known I was buying the big RV. I should and hopefully will finish this rv by summer so I am going to look around a bit and study just how I plan to use it. I would rather make money with it though to offset my toy cost. I do like the Volvo but my biggest want is modern slope nose with a tall sleeper. That only narrows it down to about 4 million used trucks..