Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2015, 08:21 AM   #29

If you plate it 'motorhome' and most all are ,there are no DOT numbers no A or B or any kind of special licence.I did take a air brake course.
It sounds like you are in the industry ,look for a creampuff ,the truck where the owner took off his shoes whenever he left the drivers seat ,plate it motorhome or private vehicle ,don't use it for anything else ,vacation should not be a source of headaches .
good luck
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2015, 08:46 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
You still can run into the occasional enforcement officer who will consider it a commercial vehicle even with the "Not for Hire" placarding and private license plate.

The real trick is not to pull into weigh scales. Friend did that with his IH 4700 and 5er. They wanted cash for him to continue as he was out of state. He has a short fuse to told them to stuff it and turned around.

Will not happen often IMO.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #31

Gorden ,the escapees have a couple of 'incidents' of officers stopping members,its always a oups sorry and a wave 'be on your way'.Not for hire placarding is not universaly used and means nothing to DOT enforcement anyway,its the lack of dot numbering.
Lack holland(commercial) 5th wheel plate and air hoses is a dead give away.

no inspection , itia stickers on the truck is a dead give away, I have blown by scales for years and never got a second look.no one on the forum has ever reported anything but "cool rig" and "cary on" from DOT casual encounters.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
I think the officers stop rigs when they see something that attracts their eye (lane wandering, speed, erratic driving). Once they see who they are dealing with they likely give the person the benefit of doubt and having got the attention of the driver, send them on their way.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:25 AM   #33

I do wonder though with the same problem I am having with the total vehicle gross weight is my fifth wheel at 20,000 lbs and the truck still going to be at the 2601lb limit?
When the siding is replaced I may have to re weigh the fifth wheel? I bet this thing is more than the stated 19,999 factory. It is HEAVY....
jonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:23 PM   #34

Witj a trl and pin that heavy you will need a mid size truck. Or you can get a used class 8 but you will nwed to upgrade your license to a class 8 non commercial. Whatever you do there is not a production made pickup to handle a pinweight like that. JMO. Good luck
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Witj a trl and pin that heavy you will need a mid size truck. Or you can get a used class 8 but you will nwed to upgrade your license to a class 8 non commercial. Whatever you do there is not a production made pickup to handle a pinweight like that. JMO. Good luck
Incorrect
the only licence most of use is the same any motorhome owner has.
Read the links posted above from the escapees HDT forum.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:49 AM   #36

Our Teton weighs just under 20k. Our pin is 5280. We are just shy of 15k on axles. A pre 2012 truck would be seriously labored towing this. My 2012 Chevy does well. I could not level it with stock bed. Not trying to talk you out of an HDT. They are likely less money up front also. Braking is not a problem. I actually towed a 40 mile trip with not brakes on Teton. Not by choice. Corrected as soon as I could. But the Chevy brakes done well. I was impressed.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #37

Glenn you Teton is under 20k? I figured they were all heavy.
I towed with my 2007 & 08 3500 duramax's and they do have superior brake and great pull. But the vehicle weight was almost 11000 as I remember for my 4door 4x4 models. Witch would just make my ticket higher. I would then be over the 30,000 lb weight..
I have to be at 2601 combined weight or go bigger . But bigger is more weight. So where is the win?
Old 01-25-2015, 09:21 AM   #38

My truck weighs 9830#. This is with hauler bed and air hitch, boxes with my stuff in them also me. Yes we are over 2601 and I do have a Class A but by my choice. Never question at DMV. They always went by dry weight of published camper. We are Texas registration.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 01-25-2015, 09:28 AM   #39

We looked real hard at HDT. I still work and have to have a commute vehicle. That would be a Smart hauled sideways on HDT. The Smart is our dilemma, not the semi. I could not get the HDT in the parking lots I have to park in. We have plans to later taking our Teton to Mor/rde and getting I/S with disks and 4 point leveling.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:29 AM   #40

Thanks Glenn,
Only this year have I been questioned and also in Texas. The state has allowed my unknowing to register trailers for my boats over 18,000 lbs so combined to a diesel they weigh in at 28k or so. I have had all of them pulled over in Houston. My trailers weight of 18,000 capacity and superior braking was why I bought them. But they only carry 6-8,000 lbs. I want safe for families beside my work boats on the highway.
And it is hard to stop for a drunk or texting driver. I just want legal across the board . I dont mind a HDT converted. It is cheaper and the kool effect is nice but the comfort is by far awesome for the same overall cost .
Old 01-25-2015, 10:38 PM   #41

What is 4 point leveling ? I think I understand it although maybe not?
I am looking at the hub conversions now to disk, I am not sure if it is worth it?
My current brakes stop me easily at 6 wheel braking.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #42

Bigfoot auto 4 point levelers, jacks. Git rid of electric jacks. Mor/Ryde I/S system with disks. Mine stops well also. We do want the I/S system and just don't want to put the electric magnet system back on.