Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2012, 05:00 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Maxxis shows a UE-168 Commercial grade LT205/75-14 D load range @2271 lbs capacity. They also show several other 14" sizes. Check them out.
Good job, Jim. If you search for size 205/75R14 on the Maxxis website, they won't show you that one. Because you had a typo in the size. But if you search for UE-168 you can find LT205/80R14 and metric 205R14C, both with max load of 2,271 @ 65 PSI.

But go on down the list in the specs and you'll find metric 215/75R14 with service description 112Q, which is 2,460 max load and 99 MPH speed rating @ 70 PSI. They're equivalent to the now obsolete designations of 8-ply rating or load range D. For that one you must be sure your wheels are rated for 70 PSI.

I'll be leaving on a 4,000 mile round trip later this month. My new trailer came with Goodyear Marathon ST205/75R14C tires. If I have any tire problems on that trip, I'll replace all 4 tires with Maxxis UE-168 215/75R14 112Q, and maybe keep one of the Marathon bombs as a spare.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #16

Jayco Owners Club
Where do you find the wheel's air pressure rating?
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #17

It's usually stamped on the center section on the rim.

Well darn. Make a fool out of myself. I know I've seen them before, but I can't find the weigh rating on my trailer take-offs. I found Made in USA, a DOT number and two serial numbers. One for the rim and one for the center section, but nothing that looked like a date.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #18

Quality Truck Tires

I'm a newbie but this hit home. My story. Oct 2010 bought my first RV, a 1999 Fleetwood Prowler which had been used 4 times and then sat for 10 years. Took it from Seattle to AZ for the winter. Tires didn't lose any air. Folks told me I was nuts for driving on 11 yr old tires. I researched new trailer tires and read lots of horror stories. Did find one that seemed to not have many complaints. The common thread was they were made in countries which no one could pronounce the names of. I learned what could happen if a blow out occurred. Can take out your whole wheel well and then some. Just before I left I decided to try the RV tires I had found. I pulled my rig into a Goodyear Store who had ordered them for me. After I got there, a 5th wheel pulled in with his wheel well blown out. He had just bought new trailer tires up in Flagstaff and one had blown coming down I-17. I walked into the store and told the manager to forget the trailer tires and put on the best truck tires they had which turned out to be Michelans. I had to go to 16" rims but they got them. I also thanked the 5th wheel owner for showing me the error of my thinking. A year later I have had no trouble and they haven't lost any air. Oh, the make turns just fine. Did it cost more. Yes. But I value the safety for my wife, myself and others let alone the peace of mind.
Zanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
TOTALLY UNTRUE!
Michelin XPS Rib and BF Goodrich Commercial TA are both rated as trailer tires. If you buy ST tires you are buying a lower quality product likely made in China with little to no quality control, with a speed rating of 65 MPH. Proof is all the posts all over the internet concerning blow outs using them.
The Op is considering upgrading to LT tires, which IMHO is one of the best decision he could make for peace of mind
BTW that 60 MPH speed limit is for commercial vehicles only not private owned trailers.
Agree!

I changed my junk Chinese ST tires, after one threw a tread, for Bridgestone LT Montana's owner's manual said to use either ST or LT tires.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Timely thread - glad I found you guys !!!

SmokeyWren - you've been on some of the same ford forums I've haunted - Hi there!

I've got 4 BCT JK42 ST235/80R16's on my new 5th wheel and I too am considering swapping them out before summer towing season even though brand new

While the tire sidewall says max 80 psi and read that if + 10psi added then 75 mph was feasible without issues (even though it says 65mph max)

This thread has helped and know it's been asked, but more info please
Do I go with LT's or ?????
stay the same size or change ?

Thanks !
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #21

Johnboytoo,
Install LT23585R16 and go camping secure in the knowledge that you have good tires under your fiver. I swapped out my original 2005 tires for a set of BFGoodrich Commercial TA's to the tune of 800 dollars out the door, mount, balance and road hazard warranty. I figured that was the best investment I made this year.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #22

If serious about upgrading why not upgrade to another trailer tire? In the reference below read the overview, specs and warranty. At 3530# with 100 psi air pressure you will have some nice wiggle room. Nice upgrade if fitment is possible.

RY103 Commercial Van & Pickup Truck Tires | Yokohama Tire Corp.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
While the tire sidewall says max 80 psi and read that if + 10psi added then 75 mph was feasible without issues (even though it says 65mph max)
If your tires are rated for 65 MPH, then exceeding that speed is a sure blowout.

Quote:
Do I go with LT's or ?????
stay the same size or change ?
If the GVWR of the trailer is less than 13,500 pounds, I would go with Michelin XPS Rib in size LT235/85R16E. It has weight capacity of 3,042 @ 80 PSI, and speed symbol Q = 99 MPH. It is an all-wheel-position truck tire, which means it can be mounted on a drive axle, steer axle, or trailer axle. So it's a "trailer tire".

http://www.michelintruck.com/micheli...?tread=XPS RIB

You can also find the XPS Rib on Michelin's car&light truck website, www.Michelinman.com, and that's where you'll find the speed symbol of Q.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #24

[QUOTE=SmokeyWren;1179205]If your tires are rated for 65 MPH, then exceeding that speed is a sure blowout.

Not necessarily true. I found literature from at least one manufacturer stating to add +10psi and you get additional speed. It's probably my post elsewhere he's referring to.

they Yokos listed above only come in 17.5 and 22.5 diameters, and the 17.5 size is real close to a load range E in LT, although it's listed as a F.

That said, I plan on going with Commercial TA next time if I can get a 16" rim with my bolt pattern. Haven't found much in the 15" sizes.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
If your tires are rated for 65 MPH, then exceeding that speed is a sure blowout.

If the GVWR of the trailer is less than 13,500 pounds, I would go with Michelin XPS Rib in size LT235/85R16E. It has weight capacity of 3,042 @ 80 PSI, and speed symbol Q = 99 MPH. It is an all-wheel-position truck tire, which means it can be mounted on a drive axle, steer axle, or trailer axle. So it's a "trailer tire".

http://www.michelintruck.com/micheli...?tread=XPS RIB

You can also find the XPS Rib on Michelin's car&light truck website, www.Michelinman.com, and that's where you'll find the speed symbol of Q.
There are all kinds of "what if" things to post. So, if you email Michelin and ask them if the XPS Rib tire is a trailer tire they will say no. Ask them if it can be used on the trailer axle they will say yes. If you go to another Michelin web site describing their RV tires you will find the XPS has a speed restriction of 75 MPH on those self propelled RVs. The XPS Rib is marketed as a regional summer tire. Its retreadable and regrooveable with tall treads made of very dense compounds.

FastEagle
Old 05-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #26

[QUOTEthey Yokos listed above only come in 17.5 and 22.5 diameters, and the 17.5 size is real close to a load range E in LT, although it's listed as a F.

[QUOTE]

Sorry, that was posted for the OP.

FE
Old 05-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
Most LT tires are also ST tires and have stronger sidewalls.
And that comes from what authoritative source?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
If serious about upgrading why not upgrade to another trailer tire? In the reference below read the overview, specs and warranty. At 3530# with 100 psi air pressure you will have some nice wiggle room. Nice upgrade if fitment is possible.

RY103 Commercial Van & Pickup Truck Tires | Yokohama Tire Corp.

FastEagle
If upgrading tires on your original rims be sure and check the rating of the rims. No use putting a tire on that needs 80 psi if your rims will only take 60 psi.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires