Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #1

Truck vs. Trailer tires

stock tire, 225/75 R15.
thinking of putting on 235/85 R16 (rim size, 16"x6"or7")
3 axels.

Would a load range E truck tire work, or do I need to use
a "trailer" tire?

Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #2

Any of the manufacturer web sites will give you the O.D. information that you will need to make the decision. IF you do go to the 16 inch upgrade get a quality LT tire. Michelin XPS Rib ,BF Goodrich Commercial TA are but two of the most popular 16 inch options. There are numerous sizes that should come very close to your existing tire diameter and still have the 3042 load rating. IF you decide to stick with ST tires remember they 65MPH speed rating and go with Maxxis.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Auto/truck tires are not designed for the extreme twisting that ST tires are made for when negotiating a tight turn.
If you stick to the speed limits for trailers in most states the 65 mph limit shouldn't be a problem. Here in WA it's 60 mph on I-5 and lower most everywhere else.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #4

Skrugs, I removed my junk chinese made tires that were the same size as yours with a load range E and did the wheel and tire swap to 16s...I used BFG Commercial TA radials load range E and had NO issues what so ever.
my toyhauler was too close to the limit with the 15" tires...and I couldn't buy a quality tire in the 15" so I opted for the 16"s.....this is a VERY common swap and works well and almost eliminates the china bomb tire worries
Old 04-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #5

where are you guys finding 16" rims with 5-lug centers? It's hard to find decent E-range 15s these days. I intend to make the ST to LT swap and it would be nice to have more choices.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #6

I tried Goodyear, Denman, Titan II, and Maxxis ST tires and all blew or separated.

I went with Yokohama 215/85-R16 and never had another failure.

Discount Tire should be able to find rims that will work.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
where are you guys finding 16" rims with 5-lug centers?
Give Scott at Trailer Tires and Wheels a call. If they're available, he'll have 'em.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Auto/truck tires are not designed for the extreme twisting that ST tires are made for when negotiating a tight turn.
If you stick to the speed limits for trailers in most states the 65 mph limit shouldn't be a problem. Here in WA it's 60 mph on I-5 and lower most everywhere else.

TOTALLY UNTRUE!
Michelin XPS Rib and BF Goodrich Commercial TA are both rated as trailer tires. If you buy ST tires you are buying a lower quality product likely made in China with little to no quality control, with a speed rating of 65 MPH. Proof is all the posts all over the internet concerning blow outs using them.
The Op is considering upgrading to LT tires, which IMHO is one of the best decision he could make for peace of mind
BTW that 60 MPH speed limit is for commercial vehicles only not private owned trailers.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #9

If possible, I always made my U turns on dirt or a very wide U turn, and still had problems with ST tires. If ST tires are made for the extreme twisting, then why are there so many ST tire failures?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #10

I put over 15K on my LT tires without a failure. Can't say that about any of the ST tires I used on my 5er. In fact, I don't think the combined mileage on my ST tires added up to 15K.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
If ST tires are made for the extreme twisting, then why are there so many ST tire failures?
Probably speed. ST tires have a speed limit of 65 MPH. When I'm cruising at 65 MPH cross country, I get passed by numerous TTs doing 70 to 75 MPH.

The speed limit from here to El Paso is 80 MPH for about 200 miles of that stretch, and 75 MPH for another hundred of those miles. And I often see folks dragging trailers at or above the 75 or 80 MPH speed limit. And yes, the tire store in Midland does a land offoce business replacing trailer tires.

The Michelin XPS is the trailer tire of choice. Michelin says it's an all-position commercial truck tire. "All-position" means it's a trailer tire as well as a steer axle and drive axle tire. Yeah, they cost you an arm and a leg, but they getter done on high-speed trailers.

As to upgrading from 15" wheels to 16" wheels on the trailer, you'll probably need at least new hubs with 6 studs. Any decent RV or trailer shop should be able to change the hubs to the 6 stud hubs. I'd probably go ahead and change out the axles/hubs/brakes. About $800 for two 5,200 pound axles with electric brakes. A little more if your trailer has a GVWR over 10,000 pounds so you need 7,000-pound axles.
http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...iler-axle.aspx
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #12

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Most LT tires are also ST tires and have stronger sidewalls.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
So... do the Michelin XPS tires come in 14" sizes, or are we doomed to having to use the China Bombs?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
So... do the Michelin XPS tires come in 14" sizes, or are we doomed to having to use the China Bombs?
Ribs don't come in 14" sizes however you may not be doomed to run ST tires depending on size and load range needed.

Goodyear Wrangler shows a LT185R14 load range C @ 1710 lb capacity.

Cooper SRM II show a LT 185R14 C and a LT195 C @ 2095 lbs capacity.

Maxxis shows a UE-168 Commercial grade LT205/75-14 D load range @2271 lbs capacity. They also show several other 14" sizes. Check them out.

Another 14" tire that has became popular with the general trailering public is the Kumho 857. Their a load range D tire at 65 psi.

Which ever tire you choose make sure your wheels are the proper width and have the proper PSI and load rating. Don't bit into the thing of mounting a higher rated tire on a lower rated wheel on a trailer. Works ok on a truck but the trailer tires need max pressures as they operate in a whole different invironment.

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires