Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #1

Truck wanted for 5th wheel

After a great deal of research and many thoughtful replies from this group, for which we are very grateful, we have advanced the process to locate a suitable truck for our new 5W. What appears best is an F350, Diesel, DRW, if possible 4x4 and the 4 door Lariat model or similar. The shorter wheel base is desired. We are open to a late model in very good condition. Location is flexible, east coast is better for us but not a deal breaker. And yes we will consider other truck manufacturers. My private email is chuckhm3@gmail.com. All pictures are most welcome. Our time frame is not immediate and oould be maybe as long as 4 to 6 months. Getting the right truck is more important than rushing into this and risking a bad decision.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
4x4 isn't needed for 5th wheel. Get a long bed for 5th wheel.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unless you plan to do some off-roading (with a DRW?) yo won't need a 4 x 4. We have been running DRW for over 10 years now and have never been to the point of wishing for or needing a 4 wheel drive truck. AA few others will have horror stories of not being able to move on a grass site with a 2 wheel drive truck.

But with a large 5er, you do want the long bed (8') and also the longer wheel base of a crew cab. The long wheel base trucks ride better than a short wheel base truck. Short wheel bases are more choppy on rough roads...same with cars.

I am not sure you can get a short bed DRW.

Of the later model trucks, Ford, Dodge Ram and Chevy (GMC) are all pretty good trucks. You do want to avoid any Ford with a 6.0L or 6.4L diesel engine. The 6.7L Ford diesl has been out over 2 years now and the problems have not been bad. Certain years of Chevy Duramax had some issues with injectors. Ram had some transmission issues in years past.

Ken
Old 09-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #4

I don't agree with the 'avoiding' the 6.4L, unless you are referring to fuel mileage. My 6.4 is at 152000 with no more problems than my neighbors with GM and Dodge. While the '08s had radiator problems, the '09s/'10s seem to be doing just fine--and for a real puller, the 450 is hard to match, unless you are looking at new units. GM and Dodge have caught up, it seems, in the '13s and '14s.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I don't agree with the 'avoiding' the 6.4L, unless you are referring to fuel mileage. My 6.4 is at 152000 with no more problems than my neighbors with GM and Dodge. While the '08s had radiator problems, the '09s/'10s seem to be doing just fine--and for a real puller, the 450 is hard to match, unless you are looking at new units. GM and Dodge have caught up, it seems, in the '13s and '14s.
Joe
And 60s out of warranty are great buys. The last of the tough easy to repair diesel.
ScangaugeII is a must and most owners are fully aware of the after market parts available to repair properly.
Own one and tow 15k with ease at 10psi boost with hypertech Max energy programing. Max mileage and comfort.
Fords big mistake of not supporting IH recomendations. I just made mine an IH by flushing the coolent 4 years ago.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes the 6.4L is a fuel HOG.

The only way to consider a 6.0L is to make sure all of the upgrades and mods have been made to make it a decent engine.

But I still feel that if you do not have one and looking for a truck, just avoid the 6.0L Fords...why buy a problem.

Ken
Old 09-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ditto

Long bed, even though many new fivers are shortbed friendly.

Nix the 4x4. Added weight, hight, and maintenance. None of which are worth it unless you really need to offroad.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #8

Did you look at pickuptrucks.com ?
Found my new, at the time, there.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

2008 model year was the last year for a Ford shorty dually. After that all Ford duallys have an 8' bed.

Ram is just the opposite. 2013 Duallys in MegaCab come only with 6.4" box. The Ram MegaCab is equivalent to the Ford CrewCab. So if you want a shorty dually, then look at the Ram MegaCab. http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_g...ion=heavy_duty

What Ram calls a CrewCab, which has a lot less room in it than a Ford CrewCab, can have either 6.4" or 8' box.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
2008 model year was the last year for a Ford shorty dually. After that all Ford duallys have an 8' bed.

Ram is just the opposite. 2013 Duallys in MegaCab come only with 6.4" box. The Ram MegaCab is equivalent to the Ford CrewCab. So if you want a shorty dually, then look at the Ram MegaCab. http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_g...ion=heavy_duty

What Ram calls a CrewCab, which has a lot less room in it than a Ford CrewCab, can have either 6.4" or 8' box.
I beg to differ. Since 2010 the Ram crew cab is exact same as Ford and GM crew cabs. The Ram mega cab is about 12" bigger inside than Ford and GM crews. The mega cab has more leg room and almost a foot of space behind rear seats for storage and allows the rear seats a 35 degree recline. I have a 2012 mega cab and folks riding in back love the reclining seats.
Chad
Old 09-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Be aware.... there are 200K huricane Sandy vehicles being peddled all over the counrty. Private sellers, auctions and even dealers are selling them. Some unknowingly. Some were completely covered in salt water the refurbed and dressed up. And dont trust Car Fax
Old 09-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Be aware.... there are 200K huricane Sandy vehicles being peddled all over the counrty. Private sellers, auctions and even dealers are selling them. Some unknowingly. Some were completely covered in salt water the refurbed and dressed up. And dont trust Car Fax
Good call. The first place to check is the seat frames. If you see rust or signs of water, chances are there was. In side of the door is a tell tale sign also but a little harder to inspect with out some sort of camera device in the door. Excessive frame rust or chassis rust on a newer truck can be a sign of water damage also. We have seen a few come through the dealer over the past few years and they went directly back to the auction.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Ram is just the opposite. 2013 Duallys in MegaCab come only with 6.4" box. The Ram MegaCab is equivalent to the Ford CrewCab. So if you want a shorty dually, then look at the Ram MegaCab. 2013 RAM Trucks | Towing & Payload Specifications | RAM Trucks

Incorrect information. Dodge went to a true Crew Cab in the 2500-5500 series trucks with the advent of the 4th generation trucks in the 2010 model year. The previous 4 door non MegaCab Dodges were called Quad Cabs, not Crew Cabs. Any 2010 and up Dodge 2500 and higher truck is available with a true Crew Cab and long bed - see my signature for proof.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Okay, so I don't keep up with Rams. But the OP doesn't want a long bed, he wants a dually shorty.

Tags
5th wheel