Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2014, 05:18 AM   #1

Truck was all over the place.. need some thoughts

so bought a sunnybrook lite 3008 SLe and i have a 2007 ford expedition for towing it. Went out with them both yesterday and have to say the trailer seemed like it was making the truck swerve all over the place, I have the stabilizer and weight reducers.. is there another trick or is that to much trailer for the expedition. The ford is supposed to be able to tow 9100 lbs and the trailer dry is 6100 lbs and i have many at absolute most 1300 lbs of stuff inside.. tongue weight off ?

any ideas would be great
NYtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2014, 06:20 AM   #2

Do you have a weight dist. hitch ? Plus i'm a little doughtful of you towing capacity. I'm a big believer in the 20% safety zone as far as towing capacities.

Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:38 AM   #3

There is quite a bit to setting up a weight equalizing hitch properly. Who did that for you? Did you have the truck and trailer there at the same time?

Ball height must be set correctly for trailer.
Equalizer bars must be sized properly, depending on tongue weight of trailer
Angle of head and bar chain tension must be correct for bars to be tensioned properly when the rig is level.
Some type of sway control properly installed.

Doesn't sound like much, but if each item isn't set correctly, the chances of your rig handling as well as it's supposed to are slim to none.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #4

[QUOTE=ahicks;2202540]There is quite a bit to setting up a weight equalizing hitch properly. Who did that for you? Did you have the truck and trailer there at the same time?

Angle of head and bar chain tension must be correct for bars to be tensioned properly when the rig is level.

Doesn't sound like much, but if each item isn't set correctly, the chances of your rig handling as well as it's supposed to are slim to none.[/QUOTE

No one really set it up for my truck, bought the trailer the other day and put a new hitch assembly on my truck with sway attachments. I am used to pulling a 15,ooo lbs equipment trailer behind my F-350 and never had any problems and when or if i did i just adjusted machine to compensate for tongue weight. I just calculated my tongue weight on the camper to be around 780 lbs. my trailer is about 6100 dry, guessing no more than 1000 lbs of gear.
NYtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #5

Ford 3500 to a Expedition, there's going to be a leaning curve ????
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #6

I could be all wet but I believe the Expedition may have P rated tires on the vehicle from the factory. Your F350 has LT tires on the truck which have stiffer side walls for load carrying ability. The P passenger tires that the Expedition has on it may be part of the problem when towing. The softer side wall construction that a P rated tire has for a smoother ride will not help for towing also they are rated less for towing loads if used for towing. Also what speed where you towing at?

I would also have the dealer check out the towing equipment to insure it is correctly adjusted for your trailer and vehicle.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
There is quite a bit to setting up a weight equalizing hitch properly. Who did that for you? Did you have the truck and trailer there at the same time?

Doesn't sound like much, but if each item isn't set correctly, the chances of your rig handling as well as it's supposed to are slim to none.

X2
If the ball height is wrong (not parallel to ground) that's how a trailer behaves (or mis-behaves). 20% more margin than the manufacturer already and probably allows is also a good thing.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
I don't care what the manufacture say's SUV's are not very good a towing travel trailers. Yes the can pull it. The brakes don't like it the 3rd member doesn't like it the trans doesn't like it! JMHO of course.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #9

I agree with those above--ball adjustment, cranking up the bars and sway control.

I'm also a big believer in having any tow vehicle's wheels aligned yearly--whether or not they need it. I want the suspension man to make sure my front suspension, shock absorbers and brakes are in 100% condition before I tow any heavy weight.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This may be of some help.

Many good videos on the net regarding set-up. Here is one of them.
This one by "Curt" manufacturing is a good one.
http://youtu.be/mkewkvU8Ot8

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #11

I towed a Sunnybrook 30FKS (9500GVWR, maybe 8500actual) with an '03 Expy--the only way I could get to behave was to put Michelin LT tires on it. Even then, it wasn't a great experience--eventually went to an F250.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #12

Add all the Band-Aids you want. Unless you have more TV than you need towing a TT is no fun!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #13

If guys were honest about it you would agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Add all the Band-Aids you want. Unless you have more TV than you need towing a TT is no fun!
This poster is absolutely right. BTW I have my shield up and my tin foil helmet on... I am sure to hear from that guy who towed a 30'TT weighing 4 tons w a chevy blazer and I don't question that. To me it's about how much you do or don't feel the trailer and how much it affects your TV going down the road.

We tow our light weight (5K) TT w a RAM 2500 CTD.. I like that my rig outweighs the TT by over a ton. Makes for easy-peasy, low stress travlin. Plus great gas mileage!
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:58 PM   #14

I agree with these two points that were already made:
#1- tires! You need strong sidewalls and I would try them at max pressure and see how it is

#2- ball hight. If the trailer in even slightly nose-high, it will be less stable. I run mine slightly low in the front.

To the second point, you may actually have too much weight distribution OR too little hitch weight. Make sure your tanks are empty and load some cargo forward in the trailer.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote