Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #1

Trucks

Hi all, just thought I would jump in here and ask a couple questions. I am looking to buy a new Truck and was wondering if there is anyone here that bought a Dually , and regretted it? We currently have a 28 ' Coachman travel trailer , so anything will do, however we want to purchase a new 5th wheel in the next couple of years. I recently pursued the Lemon Law on my 08 Dodge Diesel and won....thank goodness. Liked my truck , but couldn't keep it out of the dealership.

The trailers we are looking at are in the 15 to 16 thousand pound range, and right on the edge of the weight limit of a SRW 1 ton. I don't really want a Dually since we live in Southern Ca , and it is a pain to park anywhere. That being said , a couple weeks ago , my wife and I went to Quartzsite for a few days, I was amazed at what some people were towing , and how over loaded some of them were, it made me question my decision. I figured that there wasn't enough difference in a 1 ton Dually and an SRW, so I went and drove a new F450 ....Wow, I was amazed at how nice it rode for a truck like that. The truck I was considering is a 1 ton SRW long bed crew cab, basically the same length the only difference is the two extra tires, I don't really think that in the big scheme of things it would be any easier to park one over the other? Milage may suffer a bit, but not a big deal.

Another thing I did was have my wife drive it, she loved it, and as such I would feel much better if she ever did have to tow the trailer , with a truck like the 450.{ I am not being chauvinistic ladies, I just usually do all the driving}..lol

My wife sells Chevys, and I have no brand loyalty to one over the other, I just really like that big Ford. We are still only part timers and have a long way to go before we can retire, however when we do get the new trailer , I want to be on the safe side.

I appreciate your thoughts, and any suggestions you may have . Have a Great Day

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
When I was towing a fiver, I had an PSD SRW 4x4 F250. I never regretted having the SRW "until" I tried to pull too much fifth wheel. My truck was actually my daily driver.

Match the rig to the capacity of your truck and you'll do just fine. If you absolutely need to have that BIG fiver then you might need that F450. One of our emeritus partners Dave George may still have his F450 and he pulls a rather large Travel Supreme quite effortlessly.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #3

I had a 1 ton Ford Dually for 15 years.
I had pulled boats a TT, also bought an 11'-6" Lance camper that was on the truck for 10 years. I did take it off every so often if we were going to haul anything else.
I never had any trouble parking it. You just have to remember that you have another set of wheels back there!
It made for very stable towing in any condition; roads, weather or whatever mother nature threw at us!
Good Luck & Drive Safe!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #4

Way too much for any SRW truck. Get a dually. Remember not matter what, the widest point is the mirrors NOT the fenders! Now, having said all that, is a dually a bit harder to handle in town? yes, I have a dually and driving it can at times be the pitts, but there is no way I will ever pull any trailer/fiver over 10K GVWR ever again without one. BTDT and it aint any fun.

Now, as for brands.
GM doesels are on hold for retooling until the 2011 models come out. At that time they will require the addition of Urea to make them 2010 emission compliant. The only good thing it is the same basic motor.
Ford on the other hand is now going on their third variation of diesels motors. The dreaded 6.0, the almost as dreaded 6.4, both from IH. and now a mystery motor designed and built in house sort of. Desigled by Ford and built in Mexico at the Ford plant. It is a totally new design and so there will be zero history on it for a couple of years at least.
sadly you just got rid of probably the best of the new models when you got rid of the Dodge. I understand how you might not feel to pleased with another Dodge, but you at least own it to yourself to look at the new 2010 models.
That is my two cents worth.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #5

Don , although I had a poor experience with my 08 Dodge , I wasn't close minded to another one, however when I went and looked at the new 2010, I was truly disappointed. They wanted the same money as a Ford Lariot or a Chevy LTZ, and there was no comparison . The new interior was an improvement, but nothing close to the other two, and combined with the information on the Cummins site , about on going issues with the DPF , turbo, and cel , I am afraid I will not be looking any farther at Dodge

You are right about Ford and there track record with motor problems, and that concerns me as well. The current 6.4 has been no bed of roses, and the new one coming out has no real world testing. We currently have a Ford Excursion with the 6.0 and have no problems with it. Its a tough decision to make for sure , heck they can all have problems , but I don't want another like my Dodge . I think that the trade off for a better ride and an additional measure of safety, may well be worth looking harder at the Dually, what ever brand I choose, just hate to drive it around town. Oh well , everything has a consequence. Thanks for the response.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My preference would be a Chev 3500 4X DRW Long Bed. We pulled our 35' rig very comfortably with that setup. That truck served us well. If we go down to a smaller rig, 33' or less, I'd probably go down to that setup again. For now, I'll stay with our current choice for our full timing lifestyle.
Attached Images

Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Don , although I had a poor experience with my 08 Dodge , I wasn't close minded to another one, however when I went and looked at the new 2010, I was truly disappointed. They wanted the same money as a Ford Lariot or a Chevy LTZ, and there was no comparison . The new interior was an improvement, but nothing close to the other two, and combined with the information on the Cummins site , about on going issues with the DPF , turbo, and cel , I am afraid I will not be looking any farther at Dodge

You are right about Ford and there track record with motor problems, and that concerns me as well. The current 6.4 has been no bed of roses, and the new one coming out has no real world testing. We currently have a Ford Excursion with the 6.0 and have no problems with it. Its a tough decision to make for sure , heck they can all have problems , but I don't want another like my Dodge . I think that the trade off for a better ride and an additional measure of safety, may well be worth looking harder at the Dually, what ever brand I choose, just hate to drive it around town. Oh well , everything has a consequence. Thanks for the response.
From most all of my reading I think that the majority of problems with Dodge/Cummins emission equipment comes down to one or two causes.
One, people are lugging them around town all day and that is bad. And two, they do not drive them like they are made to be driven.
Mine has only been back for one emission related issue. And this is from a truck that is not a daily driver. If it is a daily driver it needs to be driven with a minimum of lugging or loafing and as little idling as possible. Both will load up the DPF very fast. I am not accusing you of doing this, but if you did that could be the cause of your problems. The latest flash for the trucks has largely taken care of the other issues. No Dodge, OK, I can accept that. But with a new untried emission systems on the Furds and GM's and the additional cost associated with them I doubt seriously that I will ever consider buying a new truck again. Good luck with your search.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Once you move up to the larger 5ers, you need to just accept the fact you really need a DRW truck, 1 ton, 450 or 550 to handle the pin weight. Remember little trucks for little trailers and big truck for big trailers.

Seriously, for the size trailer you are considering, the weights will lead to more than a SRW can carry within ratings.

As for driving a DRW, we have been using one for about 8 years now. Sometimes it is my daily driver and sometimes not. we fit very few drive in windows, now park farther out (DR. said to walk more any way) and have to use valet parking at most parking garages since they ususally have a few spaces for larger vehicles.

The wife drives it and will make the grocery runs of pick up the grandson at day care.

As for what some people do with large trailers and small tow vehicles, most of them do anot have a clue about their actual weights.

ken
Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 PM   #9

Scott,

Go with the biggest you can afford. You will find that each trailer gets a little bit bigger and heavier. I know the feeling of driving in Southern Cal with a dually. Spent several years there doing just that in LA. Believe it or not, the drivers in LA are NOT the worse, but that is another story. The DRWs will give you the extra capacity you will need for the pin weights of a 5vr. Currently I have a Chevy 3500, but am looking to upgrade in the near future. Sure wish GM hadn't stopped the 4500 or 5500. I had a small 29 ft fifth wheel, 13K lbs, I pulled with a 2500HD. After the first trip, I got the 3500. There is such a difference in stability and the braking capability with the 3500 having disc brakes all around making a big difference. Pulling my MS, I am at the limit and keep the weight down with the personal items.

Good idea having the wife try driving. My wife hates driving and has never driven my truck ever. Even to move it around in the yard. Something about the dual wheels. She has driven just a large vehicles before with the DRWs and had no problems. Guess it is a good thing I enjoy driving.

Good luck in your decision!
Wolf-Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf-Eagle View Post
Scott,

Go with the biggest you can afford. You will find that each trailer gets a little bit bigger and heavier.

Good idea having the wife try driving. My wife hates driving and has never driven my truck ever. Even to move it around in the yard. Something about the dual wheels. She has driven just a large vehicles before with the DRWs and had no problems. Guess it is a good thing I enjoy driving.

Good luck in your decision!
Wolf Eagle,
I agree wth you on going with the biggest you can afford. Our whole setup, '06 Volvo 670, Custom rear bed, by Herrin Welding in Kilgore, TX, & the '09 Smart car cost LESS than any new 450 or 550 available. We use the Smart for daily travel and have NO problems parking it anywhere. It is, IMHO, the best solution for those who want to fulltime in the bigger heavier rigs and stay safe on the road.

The best part is DW drives both vehicles. She's still learning in the Volvo but is not afraid of it at all. Just food for thought.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I looked at the new 10' 3500 Ram's last week. The old 5.7L Cummin's, would you agree was a well respected engine. The new for 10' 6.7L Cummins what can anyone say about them? From what the saleman said the required addition of Urea to make them 2010 emission compliant has been done a few years ago, so Dodge is ahead of the curve.

Quote:
people are lugging them around town all day and that is bad. And two, they do not drive them like they are made to be driven
450 Donn what do you mean by this. I'm also looking into a first time 5er down the road and know zippo about diesels....All I know they cost $$$$$ Might look at a lightly used one.

My brother has a 06' Ram diesel he beats the crap out of with no problems. I'm looking at a Carriage 5er product knowing a 3500 series diesel looks like the way I'll be going.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #12

Ford and GM when they restart production will be 2011 models and will require the addition of urea to a special tank to reduce emissions and meet the 2010 regulations. This tank will have to be refilled about every oil change (7000 miles). No one so far has been able to give an accurate cost of this refill service. As I understand it will NOT be an owner/operator service. Dodge/Cummins choose back in 2007 to introduce a system to do the same thing without the addition of urea. Now, for their 4500/5500 series truck, yes, they will use urea. But up to 3500 duallies, they will stay with the DPF system. Yes, they have had problems with the DPF system and after several computer flashes seem to have the problems ironed out. Even on the early trucks as we do not see many buy backs any more. The problem with the DPF system is that it needs heat to burn off the accumulation of soot. To do this, the engine needs to be at operating temps and injects raw diesel into the exhaust stream ahead of the filter to burn the soot off. This is accomplished generally at freeway speeds and takes anywhere from fifteen to forty minutes to do. Not doing this when it is time will result in a clogged DPF and require a trip to the dealer. So far, even though I do not drive my truck a lot I have only had one emission related CEL. And my truck has a late 2007 build date. The best advise I can offer when driving the 6.7L Cummins is to never let it lug around town. With the automatic, keep the transmission in third or fourth and the EB on all the time. Keeping the RPM's up helps keep the motor turning in the proper operating range. Let it work and you will almost never encounter issues with it. These motors love to work and pulling is the best way.
Hope I answered your questions as best I could.
Donn
Old 02-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I looked at the new 10' 3500 Ram's last week. The old 5.7L Cummin's, would you agree was a well respected engine. The new for 10' 6.7L Cummins what can anyone say about them? From what the saleman said the required addition of Urea to make them 2010 emission compliant has been done a few years ago, so Dodge is ahead of the curve.
The 6.7L Cummins used in the 2010 Dodges is a carryover engine that has met the 2010 emissions requirements since its introduction. It does not require urea in the 2010 Heavy Duty pickups.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Hi all, just thought I would jump in here and ask a couple questions. I am looking to buy a new Truck and was wondering if there is anyone here that bought a Dually , and regretted it? We currently have a 28 ' Coachman travel trailer , so anything will do, however we want to purchase a new 5th wheel in the next couple of years. I recently pursued the Lemon Law on my 08 Dodge Diesel and won....thank goodness. Liked my truck , but couldn't keep it out of the dealership.

The trailers we are looking at are in the 15 to 16 thousand pound range, and right on the edge of the weight limit of a SRW 1 ton. I don't really want a Dually since we live in Southern Ca , and it is a pain to park anywhere. That being said , a couple weeks ago , my wife and I went to Quartzsite for a few days, I was amazed at what some people were towing , and how over loaded some of them were, it made me question my decision. I figured that there wasn't enough difference in a 1 ton Dually and an SRW, so I went and drove a new F450 ....Wow, I was amazed at how nice it rode for a truck like that. The truck I was considering is a 1 ton SRW long bed crew cab, basically the same length the only difference is the two extra tires, I don't really think that in the big scheme of things it would be any easier to park one over the other? Milage may suffer a bit, but not a big deal.

Another thing I did was have my wife drive it, she loved it, and as such I would feel much better if she ever did have to tow the trailer , with a truck like the 450.{ I am not being chauvinistic ladies, I just usually do all the driving}..lol

My wife sells Chevys, and I have no brand loyalty to one over the other, I just really like that big Ford. We are still only part timers and have a long way to go before we can retire, however when we do get the new trailer , I want to be on the safe side.

Actually, I'd only get a dually if I needed it. (Part of the fun is deciding if you need it! ) We're quite please with our F450 and my spouse considers it hers (and she does the majority of the driving when towing). But we need it. I do enjoy the truck. Does a great job with our trailer (pulling and stopping - but we have disc brakes on the trailer). Handled the cross winds of Wyoming, Montana, Kansas, and Nebraska just fine. Don't enjoy the fuel mileage. Was concerned how the truck would handle snow. It's handling these mid-atlantic snows just fine. It's just when you're 22 ft long and 100 inches wide, you have to be a little more careful in parking. If I found a trailer that we wanted needed a dually to pull it, I get the dually without hesitation. (Wait a minute - I think that's what we did...) Enjoy the research!!! David