Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2015, 03:38 PM   #1

Trucks for Towing

I hve a 26 ft TT that weight 5800klbs dry. Currently towing with a toyota sequoia, it tows it, but I can tell I am reaching the top of its' capabilities.

I would like to buy a higher milage tow truck. I live in WV, so always going up and down hills. Looking for something in the 10-15 thousand range, the truck will only be used for towing my camper, home depot runs, and we may take it to the beach just to save miles on our regular car.

So, I would like to get a 3/4 ton truck, my question is for this weight is a gasser fine, like a silverado 6.0 or Dodge Hemi or should I be looking at diesel? Gassers, I can get a much newer version with lower miles for this price and getting a higher milage diesel just scares me as I'm worried a 200k desiel was probably beat up on some construction site.

Will a gaser be OK with this weight in the mountains? I would rather get too much tuck then not enough, but even fully loaded I don't think I will be much over 7k lbs.

Reccomendations?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A gas Silverado or F-250 will be fine. 3.73 rear axle gears will give it plenty of grunt for up to 10,000 pound gross trailer weight.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:42 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum!

Looking for something in the 10-15 thousand range.
You could find good used gassers or diesels in that dollar range.

getting a higher milage diesel just scares me as I'm worried a 200k desiel was probably beat up on some construction site.
200k is not high on a well maintained diesel truck.

Construction site trucks have signs in the interior from construction workers (rips, tears, dirt, grease stains).

Will a gaser be OK with this weight in the mountains I would rather get too much tuck then not enough, but even fully loaded I don't think I will be much over 7k lbs.
At work, we have an F450 V10 that we use to pull the same trailers as the F550's(7.3l, 6.4l, and 6.7l) in the yard. At times we will push the limits of the F450 loaded with work tools, 3 yards of material in the dump bed while pulling an excavator or vacuum trailer. Towing up hills is slow.

Gasser will get it done but you'll get worse fuel mileage than a diesel. Also, diesel will pull your load up the hill better than a gasser

Rich

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #4

Gasser would be fine. A new 150 Eco Boost would drag that trailer up any hill at any speed you want. You want a used truck but maintenance on diesels will kill your wallet. Look at a 250 reg cab 6.2 liter gas, under 30k.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Older 5.7L Tundra's ?? Actually maybe not..they tend to hold their value as a used vehicle. We had the Toyota 4Runner (05' 4.7L V-8) rated to tow 7200lb. Was towing a 5100lb. (wet) trailer (26'). Same thing here, wouldn't want to go any larger of a tt in the future. Upgraded to a 14' Tundra. rated at 9900lb. The new Sequoia's are crazy $$$ $60k+.

Your defiantly going to want a little extra power for those WV. hills. Spent a week at Blackwater Falls SP. last summer and checked out a few other state parks on the way home.

At a $10k or $15k budget, your going to have to carefully look at any older truck's suspension parts, steering box, rearend. My brother has gone thru a number of Ram trucks and $$$$ of suspension, steering box, spindles, tranny and rear end repairs. Just replaced his turbo in his latest Dodge. I'll stick with my Toyota's....(piece of mind = price-less)
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:32 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
It all depends upon your future plans. Is there any possibility of getting a larger trailer in the near to mid future. It seems like we have great intentions and then along comes the deal. A 350 will not be that much more expensive when buying used. It will broaden your market quite a bit as many think a 350 is too large.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:42 PM   #7

You may be disappointed with old pickup due to outdated power train technologies used there. Unless your Sequoia is the most basic 2004 model you should have at least 5 cogs in the transmission and dohc VVT V8. These engines like to rev and have to be pushed in order to make power. There is nothing wrong with hitting 4000 rpms when redline is above 6000. Just watch your coolant level and clean you radiator from dead bugs. Your objective is to keep up with right lane traffic, nothing else. My trailer is of the same size and weight as yours and I am totally fine with 6 pots
Old 02-22-2015, 07:21 AM   #8

That is a tough call. At that budget your options are.

1. Keep the Sequoia
2. Buy a gasoline powered 3/4 ton truck
3. Buy a diesel powered truck 3/4 ton truck.

Of these options / budget there is not a clear cut answer.

Here is one fact I learned while looking at trucks. A 1/2 ton truck weighs 5,700 lbs. while a 3/4 ton truck weighs 7,700 lbs.

A larger gasoline powered truck would not get pushed around by the trailer as much as the Seqouia. Any 3/4 ton truck would be much more stable but would struggle pulling a trailer up a WVA mountain.

Look for a F-350/250 with a 6.8 litre V10 gas engine or a GM truck with the 8.1 litre V8.

Good luck
Old 02-22-2015, 08:09 AM   #9

Thanks for all the comments. I'm keeping the sequoia regardless, love that car. Part of the reason I want a truck is the sequoia is my wife's main car, she drives about 30k mile/year so I need it to last.

Right now I use her sequoia for everything. Trips, going to the store to get wood or materials for all my weekend warrior projects.

So, the truck will be used for towing obviously, for mulch, hauling wood, and we will also take it on trips to save miles on the sequoia. I'm thinking about 3k miles/ yr will be put on it.

So, there is no way I am dropping $20-30k on a truck to put 3k miles/yr on it when I have a $60k sequoia sitting in the driveway. $10-15k I can pay cash for and be done with it.

Any preference on brands? Because I'm a guy, I would love the diesel, just because. The Duramax appears to be very reliable, the Dodge seems to be a beast, the only problem is those two trucks seem to be so good they are hard to find in my price range. There are plenty of ford 6.0 deals out there, but are they reliable? You hear so many bad things about them, but then I also hear most of the issues are from people putting after market chips in them causing issues. And you have to think, if you buy one with say 150k miles on it, wouldn't issues already have been fixed by this point?

If I go gas, Again the Chevy or Dodge seems to be the best. I would love that big 8.1 engine but they are hard to find. So the 6.0 Chevy or the Dodge hemi will probably be the ticket. Ford 250's, most of them in my price seem to be the 5.4 engine, which is smaller than what is in my sequoia.

So, any thoughts on the above trucks? Remember for 10-15k, it will either be a gasser with 120-150k miles or a diesel with 150-200k on it. Reliability at those levels? Will the fact that the truck will be sitting most of it's life make a difference? I don't know, do these trucks need driven, if they sit around will they break down?
Old 02-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #10

If the truck will be sitting most of the time then gasoline is the best way to go. You really do not want to leave a diesel sit for long periods of time.

I agree that the Ford 5.4 litre F-250 is not the truck you want. Not only is the engine small it is weak.

A Ram with 5.7 or Chevy 6.0 would be your best choices.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #11

I have a 2005 XL F250 extended cab 4 x 4 diesel. On my found list I show at least 6 available in the south at less then $10000. We use a compact car for everyday use because it's much easier to replace then the truck. We did 80000 miles on the truck after I bought it 8 years ago at $20000.
I have no plans on replacing it and surely can't see the value of a $70000 truck to tow a camper trailer. For the past 23 years I have kept my budget at less then $2000 depreciation per year and the last one the F250 has been closer to $1000. My first one was $500 per year. Never got satisfaction from new one that I kept for 9 years.
If I do replace it it will be a 2005 to 2007 unit for sure. Body condition, diesel and 4x4 will be my priorities.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #12

Jeremy, I recently picked up a 2011 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2 gas 6spd auto with 100k on it for $15.5k. I'm towing a 30 ft TT that scales at 7,400 and a flatbed grossing up to 13,000. It's doing the job well. It sure exceeds the GM HD2500 4x4 6.0 Auto it replaced in both towing ease and better mpg. I wouldn't be afraid to go coast to coast in it.

I only use my truck for hauling and towing and that amounts to about 3,500 miles a year. I know that the diesels will outperform it, but for lower purchase price and way lower maintanence costs it sure does the job for me. I can't justify parking $60,000 in the garage over 90% of the time.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #13

Rare, Low Milage, - RV & Motorhome Classifieds
DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yes, the Sequoia is a decent daily driver. If I remember correctly, I test drove either a 03' or 04' Sequoia which I think had the smaller 4.7 L V-8 and thought it was under powered. I waited till 05' when the 4.7L put into the 4Runner had the HP. raised from 235 HP. in the 03' & 04 Runner to 272PH. for the 05' 4Runner with the 4.7L V-8. They gave me $14k trade ( on a 14' Tundra) in on it for a 9 year old SUV. Still road like new...Even for a SUV it was the best riding vehicle I ever owned.

Kept maintained, the Sequoia will last forever. Great daily-driver as my 4Runner was. So keeping the SUV for your wife will make her happier than having to drive and park a rough & tough truck.

Yes, I agree above since your not going to put many miles on a truck as a tow vehicle, a gas one is the way to go. Stay away from the Ford 5.4L.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing