Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #15
Yes, you will end up with 1,200lbs hitch weight.
Too much for a 1/2 ton for comfort and margin to carry any other stuff and people in the truck.

2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2015, 06:21 PM   #16
Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
The true towing capacity of your tow vehicle is the capacity published by the manufacturer which is the only figures that will stand up in court if you have an accident and injure someone. Dont listen to the salesman trying to sell you something or the expert wannabes on the forums or the different mags that get paid for advertising. Contact the manufacturer and get the facts. You are legally responsible for having an adequate tow vehicle.

wandering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #17
Thanks wandering1....called open range directly and the guy looked up all the real info. He told me that the true weight is 7600 lbs. When I take it off the lot. And I verified with ram what I can tow.
Russell986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:13 PM   #18
Originally Posted by coldfusion View Post
I have a 2012 Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 3.55 rear, 6'4" box, 6 speed tranny.

I tow a Jayco Jay Flight SLX 26 ft. Dry weight is 4500 lbs, about 5000 lbs with propane and water.

My truck tows fine. Lots of power but can feel the weight on little bumps. That's with a good WD hitch. No way would I attempt to go with any heavier or longer of a trailer without moving up to a 2500.

Just giving you my opinion as my truck is. I also upgraded my tires to an LT Goodyear Duratrac E load rated.
That's the voice of experience talking. Listen to him.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:20 PM   #19

True towing capacity

Originally Posted by Russell986 View Post
Thanks wandering1....called open range directly and the guy looked up all the real info. He told me that the true weight is 7600 lbs. When I take it off the lot. And I verified with ram what I can tow.

Did you ask him if the handling would be great, or if the tail would wag the dog?
Towing (power) is one thing. Handling (comfort) another
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #20
I have basically the same truck, in the Lonestar trim (1608 payload). I tow a 33'' over all TT (6104 dry weight, just shy of 7K loaded). Check my sig for numbers. It is close on the numbers. I had to learn how to pack differently to put heavy items like luggage, groceries, bikes and ice chests inside the trailer near the axels while towing to keep my tongue weight at 12% and still within the payload limits of the truck. There are 2 adults and a 35 lb dog inside the truck and little else.

I will also tell you that with the 1500 and a trailer that long you will want a QUALITY WDH, not the friction bar type. We started with the friction bar type and quickly upgraded to a Blue Ox which makes a big difference.

I would not go longer without a 2500. I'd be more comfortable if this were a little shorter. The weight isn't the issue so much as the amount of wind it takes with passing trucks or crosswinds. 33 foot of windsail is a lot for the 1500 to control.
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS Blue Ox WDH
2015 RAM 1500 4X2 CrewCab, 5'7'' bed, 3.93 gears, 5.7L 8-speed VVT, Payload 1608, Max tow 10,400
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
The true towing capacity of your tow vehicle is the capacity published by the manufacturer ...
Baloney! The towing capacity published by the manufacturer is extremely misleading for most folks that will load the truck an camper for a family camping trip. They all include a fine-print caveat that you should NEVER exceed either the GCWR or GVWR of the tow vehicle. But very few read and understand the fine print - most folks assume the tow rating is gospel.

The "tow rating" is proclaimed in bold print, but the tow rating ignores the GVWR. And the tow rating assumes a new truck with absolutely no options that aren't required to achieve the GCWR of the tow vehicle, and the only weight in the tow vehicle is a skinny driver. No passengers, pets, tools, jacks, campfire wood, nothing.

For example, my F-150's tow rating is 8,400 pounds, but I'm overloaded over the GVWR of my F-150 with my small TT that grosses only 4,870 pounds on the road. So much for the towing capacity published by the manufacturer.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

tow, towing