Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2016, 07:05 PM   #1

TT tires

I'm going to have our TT tires replaced here in the next week or so. I just wanted some input from those with experience, since I have none! I called my favorite local tire/vehicle repair place. I have been taking my vehicles there for over 20 years and have always been very pleased with them. The guys that work there have been there as long or longer. Anyway I asked for an E rated tire, I currently have D rated. Current tires are original, 6 years old. ST225/75/R15. They are recommending Trailer Kings 10 ply. $89/tire. I need 4.

I have a good friend who works at a large trailer company. They don't sell campers but just about every other kind of trailer you can imagine. Good folks. They quoted $580. I can't remember the brand off of the top of my head. I have no reason to think they aren't good. E rated as well.

Is there any reason to go a specialty trailer shop? Is anyone familiar with Trailer Kings? I'm used to Michelen, BFG, Bridgestone, etc, not so much trailer tires.

Thanks
skiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Why are you gong from D rated to E rated? Are D rated tires not able to carry the max GVW of the trailer?
Old 01-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
All TT tires are made overseas, mostly in China. We had tow max, affectionately called "blow max" which were OE on our 5h wheel. I got into the 4th season with these POS when one of the tires delaminated and the other one was on the way. After doing some research and looking at info on other threads we went with Michelin all position XPS rib. Cost more, but at least I have piece of mind that the tire isn't gonna delaminate. We also had a TPMS on the tires as well so the failure wasn't as a result of poor maintenance. Stay away from the Chinese built tire.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:55 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There is a lot of info on Chinese manufactured tires, some of it here:
RV Tire Safety: China
Old 01-21-2016, 09:03 PM   #5

There aren't any good choices in your size. If you could go to 16" wheels, then there are all kinds of truck tires available that are made countries other than China.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
The best tire, if you can't go to a light truck tire would be Maxxis. Good luck with your search and choice.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Why are you gong from D rated to E rated? Are D rated tires not able to carry the max GVW of the trailer?
D rated are able to carry the max weight. I felt like a 10 ply was a more durable tire.

Thanks for the link to the RV Safety Data, that's informative.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:27 AM   #8

For 15" tires, you're limited to the Maxxis M8008's. You'll hear of nothing but praise about them. Accept nothing less in quality.

Don't rely on any tire store salesman's suggestion to put any Chinese built tire on your trailer.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:47 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
You are experiencing what most TT owners experience. I have yet to see a TT built that was not built on the edge of destruction. We had 3 TT's and I'll never have another one. One that we had came with two 3,000# axles but it was rated as a 7,000 lb TT. So I'm starting out with a capacity that is 1,000 lbs under my max weight. Yes I know the tow vehicle carries the tongue weight but still. (Edge of destruction again)

The tires I finally had to buy were rates just a few lbs over the max weight with no margin for any extra. That is not a very comfortable way to travel.

As mentioned if you want safety then you'll have to increase in your rim size so you'll have more choices of tires. Our TT had 14" rims and we had two choices I think a C or D load rated tire. Even the D was just barely able to carry the weight. We just decided that TT's are just madness looking for a place to crash and traded for a MH.

We bought our first TT back in 2010 after we got it home I realized that it had no shock absorbers and the brakes were not self-adjusting. I have been in the auto teaching and repair business for 35 years. Somebody asked me why I didn't know or even notice those two issues??? My response was,

All vehicles since the mid to late 50's come from the factory with shocks and self adjusting brakes why would I even bother or think to look??? That's like going in to buy a vehicle today and finding out that the one you picked didn't have wipers or a heater. What if it was Summer and you checked the AC but didn't check for a heater until fall??? Why would you even look for something that has been standard equipment for 40 or more years?? They short change you so they can save some $$$$$.

TeJay
Old 01-22-2016, 08:01 AM   #10

Coastal Campers
I ended up with the Maaxis 8008's, but they are 85psi tires - if your wheels can't take that, an Goodyear Cargo G26n is worth looking. A 65psi tire with a good capacity rating. It comes in 225/70R15 which usually fits, but you need to check clearance. These are made in Europe for the eurostyle vans (Sprinter, etc.) and are commonly used on trailers - the are an "all position" tire.

WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:14 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Since your wheel size is smaller than mine I cannot offer much help other than to give you my experiences with trailer tires over the last 5 years.

My 12,000 lb trailer came with a variety of four LT235/85/16 tires. Over the following years I was replacing them with the same size light truck 10 ply E Load Range tires made by Wild Country XTX Sport. I continued to have problems with all of them until the last few months when I finally switched to a true trailer tire G rated. I now have four brand new Goodyear G-614 tires on my trailer size 235/85/16. These tires are HEAVY and are built like the 22.5 truck tires.

I did some research on the Internet in regards to using LT tires on trailers and found that the sidewalls of LT tires are not stiff enough for all of the flexing that they do while bouncing down the road. And since I was having sidewall problems of all sorts with the LT tires and the Goodyear G-614 tires had much stiffer sidewalls that convinced me to spend the extra money for trailer tires that are built for trailers.

JMHO and YMMV.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:19 AM   #12

I've upgraded two TT's to 225 75 15 E rated tires and been happy with them. Maxxis 8008 on one and currently own Tow Max STR's, which appear similar to Trailer King II's. My dealer replaced all 4 no charge when 3 started to delam.
I had to order the Maxxis to get them, so today, I'd look at Carlisle RH ST's due to availability and their speed rating.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:51 AM   #13

Thanks for the input folks. I'm going to try and find some Maxxis tires. I may get a price to upgrade to 16 inch wheels as well. Not sure if that's a good budget conscious decision. My plan was to have this trailer for 3-4 years, then upgrade.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you approach all prospective buyers that you made these upgrades trying to make the TT safer to use I don't believe you'll loose money when you're ready to upgrade.

All you have to do is research the many TT forums and there are many guys who spend 10 to 15K improving their TT suspension system with heavier axles, bigger rims and tires as well as better breaking because of exactly what you are attempting to consider doing. It is $$$$ well spent. The real question is why do owners have to do so they can travel safe????

Thanks for the Thanks!!
TeJay

Tags
tires