Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #1
tt towing

I'm looking to purchase a tt that weights 6800 unloaded, i have a 2008 tahoe with 3:73 gears and tow package, any thoughts on whether my tahoe will pull without trouble ?

bigdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Have you read through the STICKY post , " Tow Vehicle Sizing and Weight Calculators " number one in this forum.
If 6800lbs , is the TRUE empty weight; factory dry weights seldom include the weight of options; I think you should expect the trailer to weigh at least 8,000 lbs. loaded for travel, and check your owners manual for tow weight rating, remembering that every bit of cargo, and passenger weight, in the vehicle has to be deducted from the towable trailer weight number.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
You don't mention which engine or if you have 4wd or 2wd. We would need both of those to even start. We would also need to know what the tongue weight of the trailer is. You will likely have payload issues with a Tahoe before you hit your max tow trailer capacity.

That said, I had a similar configuration to start with, a 2009 Silverado 4x4 5.3L with 3.73 gears. It's max tow weight was 7500 as configured. Pulling a 6400lbs dry trailer. It was a very tough pull for the truck. Adding a transmission cooler is mandatory, even if the truck has a factory one already. The 4L65 transmission is at a disadvantage in this setup. I've since regeared the truck to 4.56 gears, which helped tremendously, and MPG actually got better.

Get us the other numbers and we should be able to help out.
MagnaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:10 AM   #4
6800# unloaded sounds like a long trailer and the short wheelbase of the Tahoe doesn't sound like a good tow vehicle for a long trailer.
Bob and sometimes - Nina - a Staffordshire Terrier/a SPOILED pit and her kitty Spaz
2006 Dodge SLT 2500 4x4 Cummins Quad Cab w/AT and 3.73
2007 Salem Sport LE 26FBSRV (TH) w/ my Victory Motorcycle in it or a EZ GO Shuttle cart.
NFlcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:44 PM   #5
if you make the numbers work you may still need a Hensley or pro pride type wdh to keep the tt and tv managable
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #6

Gonna need a bigger boat
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:43 AM   #7
2008 still had the 4spd tranny I believe. 6spd would be better for the 5.3. Had an 03 suburban towing 6500lbs and it was a struggle on just overpasses unless I was doing 80mph. If you can't afford a new vehicle and have you heart set on that particular trailer then don't skimp on the hitch setup and drive in 3rd gear at 65. That seemed to be the best speed and gear to keep the rpms up for the 5.3 powerband
dcarver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:45 AM   #8
I have a 2012 tahoe and with that weight I wouldn't wanna go long distance nor interstate speeds. I do pull farm equipment and trailer at that weight and it can do it but I only do 30 thru the back roads never 60 on highways.
milkman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:50 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by bigdogger View Post
I'm looking to purchase a tt that weights 6800 unloaded, i have a 2008 tahoe with 3:73 gears and tow package, any thoughts on whether my tahoe will pull without trouble ?
Hi, bigdogger, and

The problem with an SUV is it can either PULL a small TT, or HAUL a family, but not both at the same time without being oveloaded

6,800 dry weight means around 8,000 wet and loaded trailer weight on the road. Average tongue weight is about 12.5% of gross trailer weight, or about 1,000 pounds for an 8,000 pound TT.

Since you have the SUV now, then here's the drill.

1]Load it with all the people, pets and gear that will be in when towing.

2] Drive to a truckstop that has a certified automated truck (CAT) scale, fill up with gas, and weigh the wet and loaded SUV.

3] If you don't have the weight-distributing hitch yet, then add 50 pounds to the weight of the SUV.

4] Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded SUV (including WD hitch) from the GVWR of the SUV. If the answer is not at least 1,000 pounds, then that's too much trailer for your SUV to handle the tongue weight.

5] Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded SUV from the GCWR of the SUV. If the answer is not at least 8,000 pounds, then that's too much trailer for your SUV to pull up hills and mountain passes without overheating something in the drivetrain, and without being the slowpoke holding up traffic on steep grades.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #10
Smokey is the Chief of the Weight Police. He knows the subject well.

The real problem with all SUV's is that they have very heavy frames in order for the bodies not to flex and have squeaks, etc. Their suspensions are just heavy enough for the people inside--and their stuff.

And since they're very heavy vehicles on their own, there's just not much suspension or motor left to tow ultra heavy weight travel trailers. No manufacturer makes 3/4 SUV's any longer.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #11
Check the door sticker for your available payload. I think you are going to find that after putting your family and a hitch on the Tahoe that you will not have enough payload left to accommodate such a heavy tongue weight. The sticker on your door will account for your trim level and options, and give you the real number you have to work with. If you keep heavy tools or a lot of stuff in your vehicle, you will have to account for that.

I tow a 6104 dry, 33 foot (overall) TT with a 2015 RAM 1500, crewcab, 5'7'' bed, 3.93 gears, 5.7L 8 speed VVT transmission, Lonestar trim. Payload is 1608. max tow is 10,400 (which means nothing, BTW). I had to make adjustments to what we carried in the truck with us to not be over the payload limit. I absolutely would not buy a heavier TT than this one without moving to a 3/4 truck. Frankly a 3/4 ton would tow this TT much better than my 1/2 ton, but I am still (barely) within specs.

One of the first things I had to do was upgrade the WDH to a Blue Ox. A Friction Sway setup was too squirrely for me when trucks passed me on the highway or we had crosswinds.

We can't take people with us in the truck even though we have seats for 3 more adults. We will go over payload if we put 400 pounds of people in the truck.

We can'y put heavy ice chests and bikes and grills in the back of the truck while towing, those have to go inside the TT or I'll overload the payload.

On 1/2 ton vehicles with big TT's, the payload is your hard limit. You will exceed it LONG before you ever see the max tow weight numbers.
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #12
My opinion as someone who pulled a trailer @ 4490 dry weight, closer to 7k loaded, No you do not have enough truck. I pulled with a Yukon XL and tried to make the truck tow better. Put a 6.0 in to replace the 5.3, upgraded suspension components from Hellwig and Spohn, but ended up buying a 3/4 ton truck two years after doing it and by god I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

You will SMOKE the brakes and transmission on a 1/2 ton Yukon XL/suburban pulling/stopping that trailer.
2014 F-250 CC 5-Star tuned 6.2 gas pulling a 2017 WolfPack 325 Pack13
defekticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #13
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Won't work.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote