Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #1

tugging with B&W companion 5th wheel

I am using a B&W companion 5th wheel to tow a 35' toy hauler. approx. loaded weight is 13000 lbs. My truck is a GMC 3500 dually. I get a tugging feeling going down the road that bothers me. The first time I mounted the B&W companion hitch I didn't have the post all the way into the B&W mount. I noticed a lot of movement from the tower when I was hooking up so I checked the hitch and seated the post deeper into the hitch socket. When I tow I get a tugging feeling from the trailer and I am wondering if that is typical for this type of hitch or if there is something wrong with my setup??
lambbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the same hitch and don't notice any tugging, but then, we have a Demco Glide Ride pin box on our fifth wheel.

Are you sure that all of your connections are at the right torque? If everything has been tightened to the correct torque, the hitch assembly shouldn't move at all...except for the head which does, of course, move.
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:49 AM   #3

It sounds like what you are experiencing is one of two things. Firs is slop in the hitch, either between the pin and head or loose fitting parts in the head assembly. Or second and the most likely, is the variations between the truck and trailers wheel bases. As you go down the road the expansion joints/cracks in the road set up a bounce and when the trailers axles hit the bump is bounces at a different rate. Best solution most people have found is an air ride pin box, and something like a Moreride suspension or air ride suspension on the trailer.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #4

Thank you for your input. I will look into an air ride pin box.
lambbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel problems, b&w, tugging