Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #1

Tundra Owners-any with 100k miles, & do you still trust the tranny for long distance?

Just like the title says. This is my first Toyota, bought it new in '09 and now has 104k gentle and well maintained miles...still goes like a champ. 5.7 TRD w/ 6-speed and towing package, and has towed very little since bought. I'm planning on towing a TT that will weigh about 5200 loaded from PA to Grand Canyon and back over 3 or 4 weeks. I plan on doing about 300 miles a day.

Again, I'm mainly interested in tranny opinions. Anybody with a similar high-mileage Tundra done a similar trip? How did the tranny hold up? Would you have qualms doing this with your Tundra? A few buddies (all Dodge boys) told me I was crazy last night.

And I'm really hoping this does not turn into a Tundra trashing post, or especially a "shouldn't tow that with a half-ton" post.

Thanks for any replies.

Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2016, 03:37 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
From a former 2005 Tundra and 2010 Tacoma owner, I suggest you ignore Toyota's "lifetime" transmission fluid idea and figure out how to flush and fill the tranny. If you don't have the factory trans cooler, don't sweat it. The aftermarket coolers from Hayden, etc., have much more cooling capacity. Do use synthetic fluid. Do use a ScanGauge or install a tranny fluid temperature gauge to monitor temps. They last a very long time if you change the fluid.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #3

As long as you've looked after it there should be little to concern yourself with. Agree with above though. Get your transmission serviced before you start pulling. New filter, synthetic fluid. I'd also get the differential(s) done at the same time. That truck should serve you well for many more miles.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #4

No problem, would not hurt to do fluid change, there is no filter in Toyota transmissions, just a screen, if you have towing package it has a cooler already as part of towing package. No problem towing that weight, I have thousands of miles towing my 9600 lb 30 ft 5th wheel. I was a Toyota tech for 22 years, have seen Tundras with 200K miles used in oil field with no problems so enjoy your tow, if up and downshifts frequently in drive with tow/haul on shift to S and that locks out 6th.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:31 PM   #5

The world standard transmission fluid used by Toyota is good stuff. There is in fact a filter that can be changed. There is no harm in doing a drain and refill and a filter replacement. Toyota is adamant that's you should not flush the transmission. I would trust your transmission for many more miles to come. You should change the gear oil in your rear differential too. The first thing to go is usually the pinion bearing.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #6

Sorry to disagree but have 22 years experience with Toyota as a master tech, never seen a filter in any of their transmissions, it is only a screen which can be washed out, we never pulled a pan when changing fluid, you are right on not flushing, we just changed the 4 quarts or so that comes out when drain pan, level must be checked at certain temperature by means of removing a plug on pan and adjusting fluid level to just dribble out at the specified temp as there is no dipstick. Fluid added through a plug in side of trans case.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:25 PM   #7

I think we are splitting hairs between a filter and a screen. It might be less than a filter but it's more than a screen.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #8

Just trying to help the OP not waste money on dropping the pan for a non existent filter, it is only a fine mesh screen and wont plug unless trans has totally failed and not seen one ever plugged.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
My son has an 07 that he bought new. He tows a 33' bumper pull trailer several times a year. He has 190,000 miles and never had a problem with anything, including transmission. I have an 07 also with 105,000 without any problems but I don't tow with it.
thebings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #10

Thanks for the replies guys...TECH1, so then are you recommending just a drain and refill (sounds like you are), or a complete flush? Most Tundra guys I've spoken with say to avoid a full flush b/c of possible metal getting loose.

Half the Toyota dealers I've called have told me they were advised by the factory to not do a flush and only a drain/fill, and the other half told me they recommended a flush.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:35 AM   #11

If you have never had anything done to tranny would not hurt to have dealer drain and refill, must use the WS fluid from Toyota and realize only less than half will drain out and be replaced, about 3.5 to 4 quarts. This just refreshes fluid. Pulling will be no stress at 5000 lbs unless your trailer has a straight up front. Wind resistance makes more difference towing than weight. Enjoy your trip, these transmissions very reliable unless abused badly. The ones I changed due to failure were nearly all oilfield trucks that had been badly abused. Hope this helps you! Just looked up your trailer and see front fairly vertical. I would advise you to tow in S which locks out 6th gear, put tow/haul on (there is controversy whether it is active in S, Toyota seems unclear on that) try it in 5th, if it wants to keep downshifting to 4th then lock it in 4th. I have found very little difference in fuel economy between 4th and 5th so I only use 5th when it will hold it without shifting back and forth.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #12

Thanks for the great advice man!
Old 03-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #13

You are most welcome.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:39 PM   #14

As a transmission shop owner I thank you now for your future business.

Besides what could possibly go wrong?

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.

Tags
rust