Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
Tundra weight double check.

I have a 2010 double cab 4x4 tundra, and I want to double check my capability to tow. The TV has 1350 lbs cargo space left after gas and the driver. It has a GCWR of 16000. I have a TT with a GVWR of 6000 lbs. (I am looking at the max trailer weight not dry weight) I don't have a TT actual weight and can't get it until the weekend when we are leaving. I did measure the tongue and as it sits, with out water filled yet it is 671 lbs. when I get the trailer on a scale I can arrange the load so I have about %13 the weight on the tongue.

So between the other occupants of the truck at 400 lbs and the tongue weight I am at 1071 lbs out of 1350 leaving me with 279 lbs for when the water is added to the tank. I have a WDH to help spread it out over the front and trailer axels. So by my calculations I am almost at the limit I should be towing with my truck. Am I missing anything? I know many people say they tow an 8000 lbs dry trailer with the tundra no problem but once loaded they have to be far over one or more limits of the truck I would think.

Thanks in advance.

Scott.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 09:17 AM   #2
I pull a 8000lb (loaded) trailer with a 2011 Tundra Crewmax (5.7L with tow package) and have 10K miles so far.

You are right to consider the full loading of the truck (passengers, gear, and hitch weight). But also keep in mind, Toyota rates their trucks to SAE J2807 which already accounts for the weight of a driver 150lb and passenger of 150lb plus 100lb of "stuff" (see SAE J2807 section 3.2.2). But, it does not account for fuel (I use 6.3 lb/gallon for 91 octane/ethanol blend) in a 26 gallon tank (as you mention) plus 100 lb for the sway distribution equipment plus other people and personal stuff.

The SAE J2807 standard only measures how much trailer (& truck) weight can be pulled up ~3.4 degree grade hill at 65MPH for 11 miles with the truck Air Conditioner at full load. I would never go that fast up this kind of grade pulling a trailer as it would cause premature wear on the truck. But that's how this standard is applied. It also accounts for how the trailer is configured during the test and stopping capability.

As long as the weight distribution is properly configured and trailer brakes are working fine, your weight sounds very reasonable. Happy trails.

lmcleister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I'm assuming you have the 5.7L big boy under the hood. 2011 or so was about when Toyota started and tested by the SAE J2807 standard. My 14' tundra double cab 5.7 is rated at 9900 lbs. the trailer I'm towing is only 26' but has a dry tongue a hair under 600, so loaded I'll guess I'm in the 700 pound range. With a WDH has been no problem.

With the J2807 it did drop the towing limits a few 100 pounds, but you know now what the truck is " tested " to handle rather just leap-froging over a manufacturers competition. Not sure if any of the other manufacturers besides Toyota have tested under J2807. I know they use Davis Dam road. I thought it was a 7% grade they tested on.

With a properly set up WD hitch you are going to be fine.
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:29 AM   #4
Very correct; the J2807 is the Davis Dam drive from Bullhead City to Peak Union Pass. The full test is closer to 12 miles, but I used 11 miles up to 3500ft elevation. My simple geometry with my simple calculator puts this about 3 1/2 degree incline (on average). However, many parts of this test are 5 degrees with a few spots pushing the 7 degree incline. Pretty amazing to think a non-commercial truck is pulling ~5 tons up this steep hill at 65 MPH. Makes me wonder why we get wrapped around the axle shaving a few hundred pound on weight limits.
lmcleister is offline   Reply With Quote