Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Turbo Temp Monitor

I just put an ad in the classifieds for a diesel turbo temp monitor that automatically shuts off the engine when the turbo temp gets down to a preset point to extend the life of your turbo.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
I trust there is some warning prior to shut down? I can think of lots of very awkward situations with a disabled vehicle.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #3

No, after you turn the key off, it keeps the motor running to lower EGTs until they get so cool, then it shuts the truck off completely.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The Turbo Temp Monitor (TTM) when properly installed doesn't do anything until you turn off the key. Then it monitors exhaust gas temp (EGT), and keeps the engine running until the EGT falls to 300. The rationale is that if the EGT is 300 or lower, the motor oil in the turbo bearings can handle the heat of the hot turbo without turning to coal dust and ruining the turbo.

So the TTM is not going to kill the engine while you're in the middle of a tight situation. Surely you will be parked and ready to exit the vehicle before you turn off the key. If you want some warning, then also install a pyrometer, and notice the EGT as it cools off from a normal 500 or higher operating EGT to 300 or lower low-idle EGT.

You will get some double-takes from bystanders who notice you have already gone into the convenience store before your engine dies.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
You will get some double-takes from bystanders who notice you have already gone into the convenience store before your engine dies.
That's exactly why I'd get it.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #6

I always allow a fairly long idle after a sustained run at speed. My daddy taught me to never shut one down until oil had had a chance to cool the turbo bearings...

As an aside, I had a post-military job as a Captain on a large Motor Yacht. Spent two years around the world. It was 174 feet, 570 tons. Triple Maybach V-12's. Two V-6's butt to butt; each bank of 3 cylinders had a turbocharger that drove a gearbox that spun a centrifugal supercharger nestled in the V. The center engine was a V-drive with no transmission. That propeller was pitch controlled, and was simply unclutched and feathered if not needed. The outboard engines were direct drive conventional props and transmissions.

Long story short. Warmup, at idle before being loaded; 24 hours. Cooldown, after at speed and load; 48 hours. There was a diesel-fired boiler to preheat everything as well.

500 tons at speed..32 knots. 8 tons of fuel a day. We were buying 300 tons of fuel for .66 cents a gallon in Panama in those days.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Joe,
B D diesel products and edge products both make turbo timers, you might want to contact them direct and they can give you a part number that fits your application, and a dealer to contact. thinking a little more, Bully Dog also has products for medium and heavy duty diesels along with the pickup products. Another way would be to check with the Cat or Cummins engine shops or Detroit, which ever one that you have, the parts department may be able to help you. Hope this helps.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cummins says running down an off ramp or just driving on side roads to a campground is enough cool down time for their engines.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Guys, Joe has a unit for sale that he had purchased for his tow vehicle when he owned a 5th Wheel.

He doesn't need one for his Cummins driven coach. It was for his truck.

Just a heads up!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Cummins says running down an off ramp or just driving on side roads to a campground is enough cool down time for their engines.
I do the same thing and hardly need to wait. Cooldown at higher RPM sure works for me. But I have only owned standard Diesels for the past 20 years and downshifting helps.
Also warmups are much faster with a load. So I have been starting and taken off slowly. Again std helps with no shifting delays.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #11

In the Marine Corps, I was taught to cool down the diesel motor in the AAVP7 amphibious tracked vehicle by idiling (900rpm) 2-3 minutes or at a fast idle (1000-1200rpm) for 30-60 seconds to prevent damage to what your life may depend on working properly sometime. Moving 30 tons of steel and aluminum plus 26 combat armed and equipped Marines powered by 903 cubic inches of Turbo charged Cummings power builds a lot of heat. It even had an EXTREMELY large cooling system - 30-50 gallons, a 3' across cooling fan, 15-20 gallon radiator, and the rest of the water was in the floor to contact exchange heat while in water mode because running the fan isn't possible.

So your life may may not depend on your diesel motor, but cooling it down will prolong it's life.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^ hope the Cummins spelling MPs don't cite your post.

I'm with the crowd that lets the exit, slow roll and time checking in cool us down. Computer substantiates claim. Funny how it also serves to warm you up for entering highway. Whatever you do, please don't do it next to me at 6 am. :
Steve
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Joe,
Sorry, I misread your post, oops. Thought you were looking to buy one, not sell one. They are a good item to have, because we do sometimes forget and just shut down.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Joe,
Sorry, I misread your post, oops. Thought you were looking to buy one, not sell one. They are a good item to have, because we do sometimes forget and just shut down.
Frank
Frank, you had me going there! I couldn't figure out what the heck you were talking about! That's OK, I have those senior moments quite often!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote