Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2008, 05:37 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Have traded up to bigger RV - 09 Excel Limited, dry hitch weight 2620,maximum GVWR 17,500. Pulled old RV, 14,000GVWR with 02 Silverado HD 2500 Duramax allison with tow package. Am thinking the 02 is at the towing edge with the new rig. 02 had 40,000 miles when I bought her, now has 110,000 trouble free miles. Thoughts on replacement. Prefer used diesel with less than 50,000. Thanks in advance for your help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2008, 05:37 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Have traded up to bigger RV - 09 Excel Limited, dry hitch weight 2620,maximum GVWR 17,500. Pulled old RV, 14,000GVWR with 02 Silverado HD 2500 Duramax allison with tow package. Am thinking the 02 is at the towing edge with the new rig. 02 had 40,000 miles when I bought her, now has 110,000 trouble free miles. Thoughts on replacement. Prefer used diesel with less than 50,000. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your `02 is not near the limit but rather way beyond its limits with your new rig. The 2500 is rated at a tad over 15K trailer weight.

Assuming your comment about a replacement TV with about 50,000 miles I looked thru the 2006 towing guide and even a 3500 DRW tow rating is in the mid 16K trailer range. Your new trailer is even too heavy for that TV. I saw nothing that indicated a 3500 having a tow limit anywhere near 17,500#.

In reality your are looking at a 4500/450 for that rig unless you are interested in going to an MDT.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #4

truck classifications may help some with your dilemma. Your present 2500 WILL NOT safely handle your proposed trailer.
I once towed with a 1996 Dodge BR2500HD, CTD. Our 5er had a GVW of 10,000#. This combination was well matched and towed comfortably. We purchased a new 5er with a GVW of 15,500#, The reliable old Dodge was now severely overloaded and under-powered. The trailer pushed the truck around in corners and cross-winds, making driving a tense, uncomfortable experience. I then bought a Chevy K3500,LB,CC dually to tow our new 2nd home. Towing once again became comfortable and relaxing at day's end.
Your proposed trailer is 2,000# heavier than my current trailer, I would be over-loaded and once again uncomfortable towing that load.
I commend you for facing the reality of buying a capable tow vehicle for the safety of your family.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With the new trailer and with it loaded, you are will in to the F350 Tow Boss package and possibly over that. Probably meed to look for F450's or the likes.

Ken
Old 01-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
you would be bumping the f350 tow boss, if you go with a crew cab dually long bed
mine as it sits should be able to safely pull 18100

and you said the new rig is 17500
so it would be real easy to go over your rated capacity
i would say move up to a 450 or a mdt, if you want to stay with a pickup look then ford f450 is your only option
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #7

Yeah, for that a dually would handle it OK probably, but would likely be over it's ratings.

A used MDT, M2 or something might be the ticket.

Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote