Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2016, 10:55 AM   #1

TV tires

The stock totes on my 2011 F150 say..
Standard load ????
What does that mean???
Max. load 2205 @ 44 psi max
What load range ? C, D ,????
Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #2

What does it say on your door jamb?

Old 02-16-2016, 01:55 PM   #3

Rear gvar. 3850.
Trying to figure out load taking of tires.
Don't know what standard load means
. No. Load of A,B, c D,E or????
Any help???
Thanks
Old 02-16-2016, 02:04 PM   #4

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/bro.../loadRange.jsp

Switch to LT tires
Old 02-16-2016, 03:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjohn View Post
Rear gvar. 3850.
Trying to figure out load taking of tires.
Don't know what standard load means
. No. Load of A,B, c D,E or????
Any help???
Thanks
It means you have passenger tires rated at a standard load and at 44 PSI are softer and more flexible than extra load (XL) passenger tires which have a PSI rating of 51 PSI.

Although the tires say 2205# they have been derated to 2004# by the vehicle manufacturer for fitment to a Light Truck.

Passenger tires do not get very good owner reviews when used for towing.

Any retailer that carries both LT and P tires will be very helpful with recommendations for LT tire fitments for your TV.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:43 AM   #6

Coastal Campers
Depends on what size they are, the psi air they are rated for, and what type of tire it is (ST, LT, Passenger Car, etc.). My guess is they are some kind of car tire, because 2205 lb capacity is not one of the "standard" ST tire capacities. You should also check the date of manufacture. Trailer Tire Load/Inflation Chart | Maxxis Tires USA
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:20 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjohn View Post
My tires say standard load on my TV. What load range is this? C,D, ??
Standard load (SL) means P-series tires. There is no load range on P-series tires. However, the P-Series tires on my F-150 are a tiny bit more weight capacity than the same size LT tires with load range C.

Quote:
Send me link
All you want to know about tires is in the following link to a PDF file. Spend an hour or so studying it and you'll know a bunch about it.
https://toyotires2-1524598101.netdna...s_20151020.pdf
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

scrapperjohn, I replied in your duplicate thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Passenger tires do not get very good owner reviews when used for towing.
Baloney! The P-265/60R18 109T Michelin LTX A/T tires that were OEM stock tires on my F-150 are outstanding for towing my 5,000-pound TT or my 7,000-pound cargo trailer. And I have had them overloaded with an 8,000-pound 5er and a 20k gooseneck trailer, with no problems at all.

The 109 means weight capacity of 2,271 @ 35PSI, and the "T" means speed rated at a max of 118 MPH at 44 PSI. That's all you need if you don't overload your tow vehicle. My rear GAWR is 1,900 pounds on each rear tire, so that 2,271 pounds weight capacity per tire is more than adequate.

People that complain about their P-Series tires for towing probably don't know how to properly set up the weight-distributing hitch and/or properly distribute the weight in the trailer, and some don't inflate the tires to 44 PSI cold. Or maybe they're trying to get by with cheap tires instead of the excellent Michelins. And a lot of people try to get by with a cheap hitch instead of the very good weight-distributing hitches available for a little more money. My Reese Strait-Line hitch on my cargo trailer is a little more than $500 today, and you can buy a cheap hitch for less than $300. But if you tow with the cheap hitch, be ready to complain about your tires or something else on your rig.

LT tires are more forgiving for poor setup of the hitch and distributing the weight in the trailer, and for minor variations in tire inflation pressure. But for anyone with two brain cells to rub together, the P-Series tires are just fine for a half-ton tow vehicle with a good hitch.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post

The 109 means weight capacity of 2,271 @ 35PSI, and the "T" means speed rated at a max of 118 MPH at 44 PSI. That's all you need if you don't overload your tow vehicle. My rear GAWR is 1,900 pounds on each rear tire, so that 2,271 pounds weight capacity per tire is more than adequate.
All passenger type tires must have their maximum load capacity derated for usage on pick-up trucks/trailers by dividing it by 1.1. So the 2271# found on the tires sidewall becomes 2064#. All Original Equipment tires will have been deraterd by the vehicle manufacturer in accordance with FMVSS 571.110 or FMVSS 571.120.

You would have to look at a tire inflation chart for that specific tire to find it's load capacity at 35 PSI. The tire's maximum load capacity is determined by the PSI rating found on the tire. In other words, the tire's specifications you have listed would have a maximum load capacity of 2271# at 44 psi on a car and 2064# on a pick-up truck.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:40 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren
scrapperjohn, I replied in your duplicate thread.
But a moderator combined the two threads into this one, so my reply to your original question is now in this thread.

Tags
tires