Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2006, 08:06 PM   #1

I noticed a label on the pump I was using stated that it contained Ultra low sulpher diesel 15ppm sulpher content and was acceptable for use in 2007 up diesel engines (or similar wording). It was the first pump I have come across to be labled as such. I really don't know for sure but it seems like the mileage dropped while using it. The DIC was showing 10.5 mpg prior to filling and 8.5 after. I just bought a 06 chevy 2500 duramax and it only has 1200 miles on it so I don't have any towing mileage history yet. The DIC showed only 8.5 mpg towing my 31ft. 5th wheel. I sure hope if that true it gets better, especially since the 99 f250 I traded never got less than 10 mpg. Has anyone else pulled using ulsd?

99.5 F250 SC PSD LB
DHoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2006, 08:06 PM   #2

I noticed a label on the pump I was using stated that it contained Ultra low sulpher diesel 15ppm sulpher content and was acceptable for use in 2007 up diesel engines (or similar wording). It was the first pump I have come across to be labled as such. I really don't know for sure but it seems like the mileage dropped while using it. The DIC was showing 10.5 mpg prior to filling and 8.5 after. I just bought a 06 chevy 2500 duramax and it only has 1200 miles on it so I don't have any towing mileage history yet. The DIC showed only 8.5 mpg towing my 31ft. 5th wheel. I sure hope if that true it gets better, especially since the 99 f250 I traded never got less than 10 mpg. Has anyone else pulled using ulsd?

99.5 F250 SC PSD LB
DHoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:16 AM   #3

Haven't found it yet. But it supposedly has les BTUs then the current mix diesel. Less BTUs equal more work from the engine equals less fuel mileage.

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
HERE are a number of FAQs regarding ULSD.

Chevron says the reduced energy content should only result in an approximate 1% increase in fuel consumption.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
According to the Clean Diesel Fuel Alliance information, fuel economy will be reduced because the process that removes sulfur also reduces the energy content of the fuel.

I'm dreading the inevitable day that I'll have to start burning that stuff.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:13 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hitchhiker:
According to the Clean Diesel Fuel Alliance information, fuel economy will be reduced because the process that removes sulfur also reduces the energy content of the fuel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Right. The additional refining required to remove the sulfur also removes more aromatic constituents, reducing the energy content and lubricity. Supposedly the lubricity problem is compensated for with lubricity additives, but time will tell.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:49 PM   #7

All of the Texas stations have the low sulpher signs posted. My 2006 Chevy 3500HD is getting less milage than expected on the DIC. But dont trust it, the DIC is usally way off. Just got back from towing to Ark, and hand count showed I was avreging 12.4 towing, but the DIC showed 10.2 for the same trip. Your DIC will catch up in about 20,000 miles, but will never be accurate. Guess us pre-2007 folks will have to start running Bio-Diesel.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:01 AM   #8

The label posted on dispensers in Texas states that the diesel is still LSD (low sulfur diesel) and not ULSD (ultra low sulfur diesel) and should not be used in 2007 model vehicles with a diesel engine. The fuel in the tanks, in Texas anyway, is still the old fuel, the LSD I know this because I work for an oil company. Very few stations, if any, have converted to the ULSD and none of our have. My company accounts for about 20% of the fuel sold in Texas.

I believe this is still true for the ret of the country as well. I think the ULSD does not have to be in place until year end. Try to buy a 2007 diesel right now. Don't think you can due to the fuel issue.

"Lake House": 2001 Sierra 30BHSS
cdrsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:37 AM   #9

I have yet to see a station that has the USLD at the pumps. I have seen the new signs warning that the LSD is not approved of 07 and newer diesels and may harm them.

USLD does have a lower energy content. That will result in lower MPG. I will run LSD as long as it is available. I dread having to use USLD as it will cost more and produce less economey.
[b][i]100th ANNIVERSARY FLSTFI Black with air brushed real fire blue flames, #180
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:49 PM   #10

At my Mobil station in NJ the other night when I filled up there was a big sticker on the pump saying that it was not ultra low sulphur diesel and did not comply with 2007 and newer vehicle standards and could cause engine failure.

'04 Cedar Creek 362BBS
96PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:27 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
If the DIC on my 2006 2500HD is right I am unhappy it is showing around 15.6 mpg but I only got 700 miles on it now. I was getting 18-19 mpg with my old truck. I guess when the ultra low sulfer fuel is all we can get. I going to have to buy a additive. It reall makes sense for the goverment to change this with the shortage we now have, but that is the goverment.
Tom
Old 07-26-2006, 08:27 AM   #12

Here is an article on the ULSD.

http://www.ttnews.com/lmt/Feb06/monitor.asp

Here is another for guys with older trucks

http://www.mbm.net.au/b100/lsd.html

Dave