Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #29
This is the first time the label deal did not work for me, but have not been looking at older trucks. Tried another 2003 and same thing, so guess there is a year past which they don't have them on the web.

'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #30
You can download as a PDF from the Ford website files with information on truck specs and on towing. Key number is the GCWR which is the total weight of the truck and load and trailer taken as a whole.

The rear axle gear ratio makes a great deal of difference. With Chevy the gas powered trucks with the 4.10 rear end have a 25% higher tow rating than the same trucks with the 3.73 rear end. It is a difference of 2500 lbs. in towing capacity. This shows up in the tow rating for the F-450 which is higher than the F-350 only due to the use of a 4.30 rear end gear ratio. The F-350 actually has a higher payload rating by 700 lbs. over the F-450.

elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #31
Location: Returned to home in CA to become a grandparent for the first time.
You may consider checking out this new web based app called Before You Buy RV. It's supposed to help ensure you're matching the correct towing combination.
David W. Gray - Fifth Wheel St. - Provides the only 13 point weight safety report.
Cyclone Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
You can download as a PDF from the Ford website files with information on truck specs and on towing. Key number is the GCWR which is the total weight of the truck and load and trailer taken as a whole.
The Ford Trailer Towing Guide has a huge flaw. It assumes your tow vehicle has enough payload capacity to handle the hitch weight of any trailer that has a wet and loaded weight that will not exceed the GCWR of the tow vehicle. The flaw is that most pickups with single rear wheels (SRW) do NOT have enough payload capacity to handle anywhere near the hitch weight of the heavier 5ers.

The GCWR indicates how much weight the truck can pull. But it ignores the amount of hitch weight the truck can haul.

2013 F-250 CrewCab 4x4 diesel has a GCWR of 23,500 pounds and a 5er "tow rating" of 15,900 pounds. But if you tie onto a 5er that weighs 15,900 pounds, you're going to be severely overloaded over the GVWR of your F-250. Why the obvious discrepancy? Because the tow rating assumes your wet and loaded truck weighs only 7,600 pounds before you tie onto the trailer.

The GVWR of the F-250 is only 10,000 pounds, and a wet and loaded pickup is going to weigh about 8,500 to 9,000 pounds when loaded with family, tools, 5er hitch, a full tank of diesel, etc. That leaves a max of 1,500 pounds for hitch weight.

1,500 pounds of hitch weight is a 5er with 20% hitch weight that has a max weight of 7,500 pounds.

If your 5er that weighs 15,900 pounds has a 20% hitch weight, the hitch weight is going to be over 3,000 pounds. So your F-250 is going to be overloaded by about 1,500 pounds over the GVWR of the pickup. That's called severely overloaded.

5er hitch weight varies from about 16% to about 24%, so using 20% is an estimate. Your wet and loaded 5er may have a bit more or less hitch weight (pin weight or kingpin weight) than 20%. But 20% is a good estimate if you don't have the wet and loaded trailer available to weigh.

So don't rely on the Ford (or Dodge or GM or Toyota) tow rating. If you have an SRW tow vehicle, compute the max payload you have for hitch weight after the tow vehicle is loaded with options, people, hitch and a full tank of fuel.

Without hitch weight, such as a wagon-style trailer, you can tow a trailer that will put you close to the GCWR without being overloaded. With a "bumper pull" trailer such as a travel trailer (TT), the hitch weight is only 12% to 15% of gross trailer weight, so you can tow a heavier TT than 5er without being overloaded. But with a 5er with 20% hitch weight, you probably cannot tow anywhere near the GCWR of the truck without being overloaded over the GVWR of the SRW tow vehicle.

Back off to half-ton pickups for another example. My 2012 F-150 CrewCab with 6.5' bed and EcoBoost engine has a GCWR of 14,000 and a tow rating of 8,400 pounds. But can I tow a TT that grosses 8,400 pounds without being overloaded? Heck no. My TT when wet and loaded on the road recently weighed 4,870 pounds (4,220 trailer axle weight plus 650 pounds hitch weight), but it overloaded my F-150 by 100 pounds over the GVWR of the truck. I "made do" with being slightly overloaded on a 4,200 mile towing trip, but I was disappointed that I didn't do a better job of matching my new truck to my new trailer.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Call your insurance agent and get a quote on a F350 and a F450. In my case, with a perfect driving record, for a F450 Farmers quoted $1200 / year above the cost for a F350. Said it's considered commercial, even though it is still a pickup. Insurance is regional and Texas is one of the highest for insurance rates, but my fleet salesman warned me about it.

Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote