Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #1
Upgrading Brakes

I was just curious, when it has come time for new brake pads, rotors do most replace with OEM or have any gone to after market to beef up stopping power. If so wondering what brands you have had good results with. I am going to replace on my 2011 f350 DRW prior to heading out full time at the end of next month. I think the stopping part is an area folks tend to not think about until it is to late.

Kustom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have no problem with my standard brakes. 50K miles and still a lot of brake "meat" left. With a properly adjusted brake controller I don't think you have much to worry about in the stopping department. Even in a few panic stops, everything went well, except all that weight does take longer to stop.

I haven't given much thought about what I'll use as replacements when the time comes, so I'll be interested in what transpires in this thread.

BTW - welcome to iRV2

John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
If you are changing pads and rotors in the front look into Stop Tech rotors very good company and only a touch more than a factory rotor. And because they are slotted not cross drilled they will hold up very well under lots of stress.

And for front brake pads look into Hawk LTS brake pads. They are made for stoping heavy loads.

Rear if you just have drums check Hawk again not sure if they make rear brake shoes. If not look into going stick or maybe raybestos heavy duty seires.
2006 chevy colorado xtream.
Holiday Rambler 187qb.
Jason&Shantelle&Bella,the Weimaraner.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I bought a new F-250 back in '99.5, and put 197,000 mostly-towing miles on it. The original brakes lasted about 100,000 miles before they needed attention. Since the OEM brakes lasted so long, I replaced the brake pads with Ford OEM brake pads.

Ford OEM is not the same thing as Motorcraft. Motorcraft is Ford's aftermarket brand, and they may not be as good as Ford OEM. Ford OEM will come in a Ford box, not a Motorcraft box. Have a heart to heart discussion with a knowledgeable dealer parts department service manager to learn how to be sure you get Ford OEM parts.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
You don't say what brand your truck is, but that shouldn't matter with the major three.

I changed my 2001 Dodge 3500 DRW at 102K miles with Porterfield R4S street pads with new stock rotors. The Porterfield pads have more grab cold, so you get a better feel than oem pads. I am now at 185K with a little short of half the pad left.

I am going to upgrade my rotors to the 3rd generation Dodge rotors and calipers, which will give 2" more diameter on the rotors and double the brake pad sweep size. It will require me to also upgrade from 16" wheels to 17" wheels to fit the bigger rotors.

Hope this helps.

Jon_Celia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
I second the Hawk LTS pads. I replaced my calipers with OEM, but then did all of my rotors with Power Slot Cryo rotors, Hawk LTS pads all around, and then changed all the brake fluid with AP600 racing fluid. Truck really stops now and the wear rate has been great. StopTech rotors would have been even better. My truck is Excursion 4X4.
2005 Ford Excursion Diesel 4X4 with Roadmaster Active Suspension, F350 1 3/16" rear sway bar, Bilstein shocks & steering damper.
2012 Sprinter 311BHS
jbenoit28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
Power Slot is now Stop Tech.

Not sure when that happed but it did.
2006 chevy colorado xtream.
Holiday Rambler 187qb.
Jason&Shantelle&Bella,the Weimaraner.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #8
Appalachian Campers
My truck is at 127,000ish, factory rear pads and on it's second set of front pads. I'm upgrading it to Bendix MX semi metallics all the way around and Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors all the way around. The rears are shot, been on the wear indicators for awhile now and my right front had a slide stick and cook the outer pad recently. I've got it freed up and working fine but I want to go ahead and upgrade before my trip next month.
2001 HO Cummins powered Dodge 2500
2014 Sierra 346RETS
Nights camped in 2014-28
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #9
Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
X3 for Hawk from Geno's garage on-line
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #10
Thanks for the input I may check out the Stop Tech and also research the oem a bit more.
Kustom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #11
My F250 has 117K miles, and I'm getting some vibrations in my brake pedal. I assume I need the rotors turned, and I'm scrapping my 60K mile Hawk LTS brake pads at the same time. OEM 3/4 ton rotors are very heavy, last much longer than auto brake rotors, and they can be turned on a brake lathe.

I went on RockAuto.com and found Wagner Severe Duty pads for $20 and $25 per set plus transportation. That's 25% of what I paid for the Hawk pads. Wagners always fit well and shops have few "customer comebacks" with that brand. If they make too much noise, I'll change them to something less aggressive.

I suggest you research RockAuto's brake pads for your given vehicle. There are just so many fine brands of brake pads available.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
X3 for Hawk from Geno's garage on-line

Yup just installed them on my 98 2wd 5sp RAM. They were the SD pads.

I also did the GM larger wheel cylinder upgrade on the rears with NAPA's best shoe. It really stops great now!

genos.com is a great place to buy OE and other quality parts for your RAM at great prices and service.

Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote

brake, brakes