RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2019, 08:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
You have already made one mistake by buying a trailer too big for your truck. Don't make another by wasting money trying to make it work. Stay local till you can get an appropriate tow vehicle.
This is the best advice. I made a similar mistake and had a Nissan Titan then bought a 30ft trailer was right at the max of what I could handle with the capacity of my truck. In the end I was 600lbs over capacity of the truck once loaded to travel and when it came to stopping I had problems. I traded the Titan in and moved up to a F250. Best move I ever made. Don't waste money that will ultimately not fix your problems and just be money lost in the end.

ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2019, 08:21 AM   #16

I will be interested in the result. I am looking at those big trailers also. The weight fits into the towing capacity and for my truck so will the tongue weight. But man, those trailers are big and long. Nice when set up, but towing...ugh.

I had a dually truck towing a 37' 5th wheel. I am thinking I should have kept the dually truck to tow a 37' travel trailer.

tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
You have already made one mistake by buying a trailer too big for your truck. Don't make another by wasting money trying to make it work. Stay local till you can get an appropriate tow vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTMedic View Post
This is the best advice. I made a similar mistake and had a Nissan Titan then bought a 30ft trailer was right at the max of what I could handle with the capacity of my truck. In the end I was 600lbs over capacity of the truck once loaded to travel and when it came to stopping I had problems. I traded the Titan in and moved up to a F250. Best move I ever made. Don't waste money that will ultimately not fix your problems and just be money lost in the end.

Yep, X3
Take all the money you would put into the TV and get a 2500 Hemi.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:06 AM   #18

Good luck if you are picking up your new Sunset Trail today.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #19

Congrat's on the new trailer. Glad I am not the one breaking the news to you. You have too much trailer for your current truck. You will be way over payload when ready to go camping.

If you choose to push your luck and try beefing up your truck, you will just be wasting your money. There is nothing you can do to increase payload.

Get a proper truck to pull your new trailer. Nothing worse than going on vacation and having to worry about your tow vehicle. If you choose to try it, you will not enjoy the towing experience. They call it white knuckle towing, meaning you will be gripping the steering wheel very hard trying to keep things steady.

Also, never take towing advice from RV or truck salesman. They will tell you anything to make the sale and are known to be the cause of many unhappy customers when they realize their truck is out matched by their trailer.

You will be a very happy camper with a proper tow vehicle for your trailer.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:25 AM   #20

Airbags can be moved from one vehicle to another and wont change your unloaded ride. We used an equalizer wdh to pull our jayco 324bhds down to florida on my inlaws 11 ram 1500. I know it was overweight but it did pretty well on the flats and thats not my point, ive since bought a truck thats up to towing the camper. The issue with using the wdh is that it flexed the hitch on the ram ALOT. we could only get so much out of the wdh before the trucks hitch was pushing up on the bumper. A very poor reciever design in my opinion. 1/2 ton trucks are exactly that. The 3/4 ton trucks on the market are derated single wheel 1 tons for the most part, its easier to stretch a 3/4 ton than a 1/2 ton.

All that being said, get a set of airbags for your ram 1500 as a bandaid. Once you decide the 1/2 ton isnt going to work as well as a bigger truck would pull the airbags, trade the 1/2 ton in on a gas 3/4. The money difference should be pretty close if you get similar mileage/yr. Put the airbags on the 3/4 ton once you get it and it wont be money youve just thrown away.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:16 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Great advise so far, let me take it one step further and suggest you trade that E2 hitch for a better one. That is a budget hitch and to control a trailer nearly 40' long when semis pass or there is wind you need at least one of the mid grade hitches with built-in sway control. Why save $100 on the part connecting two things you spent many thousands on? You don't have to spend much more to get a MUCH better hitch.

I would suggest an Equalizer 4 point or a BlueOx Sway-pro. You don't have to go all the way and get a Pro-Pride or Hensley although they are even better at controlling sway, but alot more money. At nearly 40' that might be warranted, that is a BIG trailer.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #22

The other issue is your truck is only rated to tow 7950 lbs according to the ram towing guide. You need the 3.92 gears to get 10000 lbs. So this trailer is to big for your truck.
happyvibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyvibe View Post
The other issue is your truck is only rated to tow 7950 lbs according to the ram towing guide. You need the 3.92 gears to get 10000 lbs. So this trailer is to big for your truck.
Exactly. Towing cushion is very important. Being at or close to max right out of the gate generally means a truck upgrade sooner than anyone wants. I'm going through something similar with my 2015 Ram 1500. I have 3.92 gears and factory tow package so even though my truck "can" tow 10,000 by the numbers, there is no way in heck I'm going to try. I just put a deposit on a new 28' tip to tail trailer that's 5,250 dry and 7,000 gvwr. This leaves me 30% cushion on weight from factory specs. Of course payload is the soft spot (my Ram is 1430). I just put XL rates tires on the truck and I'm replacing the rear springs and shocks (TTC1211 springs and Billstein 4600 shocks) on the rear. I'm not putting new springs to go above payload like many do. I will stay inside of payload no matter what but I also don't want the squat or bouncy ride that factory coils provide. I'll be running close to payload max so putting better springs and new shocks to better manage the load makes complete sense. Ram's rear suspension is very easy to work on as well so shocks and springs are less than $400 all in. Very small price to pay for pretty substantial upgrade if someone plans on towing regularly (I surely will).

This forum has been INVALUABLE with helping my family make an intelligent decision on what trailer to buy (or not to buy) when taking my TV into account. IMO- 7500 lbs gross and under 30' are 2 good numbers at or below for a 1/2 ton PU.
BobChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:44 PM   #24

Well I know it wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done but we took delivery of the trailer on Saturday. The WD hitch they got me was a heavier one, can't remember the name right now, we left the dealership and drove the access road for a while at 50 mph and felt comfortable with it. No bottoming out of the springs and no bouncy bouncy or wiggle wiggle. The WD hitch was a little lower to the ground than I'd like but it never hit the ground when going over bumps. We felt brave enough to get it up to 55, then 60 and it felt good. Next thing I knew we were comfortably moving along and we were doing 65 so I lowered my speed back down to 60 and set the cruise. There was no bad sway and when an 18 wheeler would pass you could feel it sway a little but it was easy to control. All in all is wasn't a bad ride.
I'm still looking for a 3/4 ton and will take care of that soon but just wanted to update you helpful folks on the situation.
Herewego3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:57 PM   #25

Now get yourself into a parkinglot and practice some skills. Backing, turning, basic maneuvering. One complaint that i have regarding this forum is that too many people think that they need a bigger truck to feel comfortable. Your skillset is the biggest contributor to what youre "comfortable" with. A bigger truck doesnt make you a better driver.

Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge, suspension