Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
The 3.5 Ford V6 has 365 HP and 425 FPT. And comes in the F150 with 20 plus mpg in a 4X4. And with the twin turbo it has diesel like torque at low rpms. And you wouldn't have to be ashamed to tell people what you drive!

The dodge with an 8 speed tranny and 3.0 diesel will probably get much better fuel mileage than that.

Diesel right now is about 15% more than 87 octane, however the F150 ecoboost can only tow with high octane 91+. Also most owners including consumer reports are seeing much worse fuel mileage than epa rated in ford turbo gas engines. Whereas everyone and consumer reports are claiming higher than EPA rate mpg in diesel engines. So as long at the diesels get 24mpg, you'll do better than breaking even in fuel costs. Not to mention the fact that i'd rather have a turbo diesel than a turbo gasser. I think the diesels will last longer in the long run.

And for towing, considering you have to use higher octane for the ecoboost. The cost of fuel is about the same, it's the towing mileage that'll determine fuel costs.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
gggplaya said:

"The dodge with an 8 speed tranny and 3.0 diesel will probably get much better fuel mileage than that."

8 speed transmission? Automatic or standard?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
8 speed transmission? Automatic or standard?
ZF 8-speed automatic. See HERE.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #18

Is Ram going to be the truck to have instead of Ford? I am not married to any brand. I really like what Ram is doing with the 2500 and 3500. And now the 1500.

In 2005 I looked at several trucks. I did not like any of them. In 2011 I looked again and liked all of the trucks.

Ford has the best 1/2 truck frame and now engines to move it.

The 2014 Chevy 1500 will be over shadowed by the diesel Ram 1500.

In heavy duty trucks now Ram and Chevy have better frames than Ford.

There are some great gas engines now from the Toyota 5.7, Ford Eco-Boost, Ford 5.0 litre, to Ram 5.7 Hemi. Chevy seems to be lagging.

If Ram can keep the price down and improve MPG enough the Ram diesel just might be the truck to have.

What I like, is even an idiot like me can't by a bad truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
The dodge with an 8 speed tranny and 3.0 diesel will probably get much better fuel mileage than that.

Diesel right now is about 15% more than 87 octane, however the F150 ecoboost can only tow with high octane 91+. Also most owners including consumer reports are seeing much worse fuel mileage than epa rated in ford turbo gas engines. Whereas everyone and consumer reports are claiming higher than EPA rate mpg in diesel engines. So as long at the diesels get 24mpg, you'll do better than breaking even in fuel costs. Not to mention the fact that i'd rather have a turbo diesel than a turbo gasser. I think the diesels will last longer in the long run.

And for towing, considering you have to use higher octane for the ecoboost. The cost of fuel is about the same, it's the towing mileage that'll determine fuel costs.
The 3.5 seems to tow great with 87 octain fuel. Just makes slightly less HP. Very few people even use ethyl in the Ecoboost Fords. I have had too 13 escapes with Ecoboost mills. The first being a 1.6 Ecoboost and the second being tHe 2.0 Ecoboost. They both run great and the 1.6 amazed me with its power. I only have 200 miles on the 2.0 but it has even more spunk. All I ever run is regular gas, and Ford rates the motors with a little more power on ethyl, but does not require it. And gas motors can last just as long as all the throw away diesels that come in pickups. A delivery man put over 1,000,000 miles on a ford van with no engine work other then general maintenance. I think the only thing the new ram has going for it is the air ride suspension. That will carry over to the completion in no time.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #20

Get ready for the diesel invasion as gas prices are forced up to boost the smaller engine sales. This is to bring the MPG average up. This time they are not able to fudge the EPA mileage up in favour of gas engines. Diesels have been much better then rated all the time ever since the new ratings were initiated. And the diesel engine suppliers ate realy not ready for it neither. Look at VW, BMW, Mazda,Fiat and others take the lead and leave the big 2 in the dust.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
Get ready for the diesel invasion as gas prices are forced up to boost the smaller engine sales. This is to bring the MPG average up. This time they are not able to fudge the EPA mileage up in favour of gas engines. Diesels have been much better then rated all the time ever since the new ratings were initiated. And the diesel engine suppliers ate realy not ready for it neither. Look at VW, BMW, Mazda,Fiat and others take the lead and leave the big 2 in the dust.
For some strange reason, they don't even rate the three quarter and one ton trucks. Being gas or diesel, I guess they don't want to scare us off! That being said I have a buddy with a 12 ram dully and one with a new ford dully, and they both say about 12 to 14 empty in all around driving. These are both diesels.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #22

Quote:
The 3.5 seems to tow great with 87 octain fuel. Just makes slightly less HP. Very few people even use ethyl in the Ecoboost Fords. I have had too 13 escapes with Ecoboost mills. The first being a 1.6 Ecoboost and the second being tHe 2.0 Ecoboost. They both run great and the 1.6 amazed me with its power. I only have 200 miles on the 2.0 but it has even more spunk. All I ever run is regular gas, and Ford rates the motors with a little more power on ethyl, but does not require it. And gas motors can last just as long as all the throw away diesels that come in pickups. A delivery man put over 1,000,000 miles on a ford van with no engine work other then general maintenance. I think the only thing the new ram has going for it is the air ride suspension. That will carry over to the completion in no time.

I don't know about the ecoboost escape, but the F150 ecoboost recommends higher octane for towing in the manual. I guess you'd have to take a log and tow a high load to see if it's knocking and pulling back timing for it.

Also, i'm not talking about NA gas engines. Those can last a very long time, especially when it's a big engine used for very light duty most of the time. Turbo charged engines are a much different beast. In my experience, they don't usually run anywhere near as long as NA engines, unless it's an engine at very low boost levels like the old Saabs which only ran about 6psi.

Regardless of octane my point still stands, we'll have to wait to see what towing mileage is for the 8 speed diesel ram. Most F150 Ecoboost owners are getting about 10mpg towing a 7000lb travel trailer.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
For some strange reason, they don't even rate the three quarter and one ton trucks.
Vehicles over 8,800 lbs GVWR (IIRC) are considered HD vehicles and aren't subject to EPA fuel economy ratings - at least heretofore. The EPA's new CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) regulations may change that.

My truck gets 10-10.5 MPG towing and 16-17 MPG on the Interstate running empty. That's about the same as my 2002 Cummins-powered Ram dually and much better than the 6.5 MPG towing and 13 MPG empty of my 1996 V-10 gasoline powered Ram dually. An 8000 lb truck capable of towing a 16K (or more) 5th wheel isn't going to get the same fuel mileage as a Toyota Prius.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
Regardless of octane my point still stands, we'll have to wait to see what towing mileage is for the 8 speed diesel ram. Most F150 Ecoboost owners are getting about 10mpg towing a 7000lb travel trailer.
If I get 12+ towing, I will be a happy camper
Old 02-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I wonder how the "Greens" will accept it?
[moderator edit] Newer diesels meet the new air pollution emissions standards designed to keep the air fit to breathe and children out of hospitals where asthema costs more than $12 billion in hospitalization costs alone. What a terrible thing to care about the health of children or the environment in which we all live. How is not being self centered and a mindless polluter a bad thing? Help to understand the logic and values that promote pollution as I do not see it.

The diesel for a truck is going to increase MPG but with diesel selling for 20% more than regular grade gasoline the truck is going to be more expensive to purchase, more expensive to operate, and more expensive to maintain.

With a heavy duty truck that is going to be towing 15,000 lbs. the diesel engine with its added torque and engine braking capabilites makes sense but on a 1/2 ton a diesel engine has only emotional appeal like a camo paint job.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
elkhornsun, I have no problem with reducing pollution in our air, The rest of the reasons for all the environmental stuff is just people pushing an agenda so let's agree to disagree on root causes OK?
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #27

Quote:
The 3.5 Ford V6 has 365 HP and 425 FPT. And comes in the F150 with 20 plus mpg in a 4X4. And with the twin turbo it has diesel like torque at low rpms. And you wouldn't have to be ashamed to tell people what you drive!
I would and I would have to hide my face. I have own three furds in the past and never again.

Jim W
Old 02-22-2013, 01:11 AM   #28

I past my MPG gauge to my meighbour for a week and his Ram(318) averaged less then 13mpg. On my 90 GM diesel1500 I averaged 23 MPG for every tank and 18mpg towing a 6k trailer. Ford Turbo charged cars in the 80's they were junk. The only difference is the synthetic oil. Gas engines need gasoline to cool down the pistons. Diesels have excess compressed air and fuel vaporization. And better build engines.