Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #1

USA Today - Ram 1500 to get diesel engine

This will be a 1st for a light duty truck and should be interesting. The engine is going to be a V6 Italian made diesel. The engine company is 1/2 owned by Fiat (figures) and 1/2 owned by GM. 240hp and 420 ft lbs. torque.

Should be interesting how they market and price it. It seems to overlap their 5.7 litre hemi gas engine.

We should know sometime late summer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I wonder how the "Greens" will accept it?

Old 02-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fix It Again Tony. You are right, this will be interesting.

I'm not a big fan Of Fiats.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #4

Forgot to say - it will be interesting because you do not get 'more' truck. Just a diesel engine. We will not all of the sudden see Ram 1500's towing 5th wheels.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post

Europe is way ahead of the pack in diesel technology because US is forcing the use of battery/gas cars. We just have to go back to the 80s when GM had very efficient but powerless diesels. Had one and loved it. Remember that Ford and GM went overseas for their diesel success.
And diesel trucks is the only solution for the new MPG improvement requirements coming on. To bad we need laws written by inexperienced people thus forcing a hurried introduction of the diesel engines in the US.
Ford has a great Ranger sold all over the world except north America.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
Europe is way ahead of the pack in diesel technology because US is forcing the use of battery/gas cars. We just have to go back to the 80s when GM had very efficient but powerless diesels. Had one and loved it. Remember that Ford and GM went overseas for their diesel success.
And diesel trucks is the only solution for the new MPG improvement requirements coming on. To bad we need laws written by inexperienced people thus forcing a hurried introduction of the diesel engines in the US.
Ford has a great Ranger sold all over the world except north America.
Good point. However there are diesels and there are diesels.

Mercedes Benz comes to mind.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The VM Motori connection to Fiat/GM is a little more complex than it might appear on the surface.

Quote:
VM Motori was founded by two entrepreneurs, Claudio Vancini and Ugo Martelli (hence the "VM") in 1947.

VM merged with Stabilimenti Meccanici Triestini in Trieste in 1971, then Finmeccanica took a majority stake in the combined company.

In 1989, Finmeccanica restructured, selling its stake in VM Motori to company managers and Midland Montague in a leveraged buyout, leaving the company with its single Cento plant.

Detroit Diesel Corporation (DDC) bought VM Motori in 1995.

In 2000 the DDC was purchased by DaimlerChrysler AG.

In 2003, Penske Corporation purchased a 51% stake in VM Motori; in 2007, Penske bought the remaining 49% from DaimlerChrysler and subsequently sold 50% of it to General Motors.[1] As of 2007, both deals were awaiting European regulatory approval and the value of the deal was not known.

In September 2008, GAZ Group announced plans to purchase a 50% stake from Penske Corp.[2] but ultimately cancelled them in February 2009.[3] January 11, 2011 Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera published news that Fiat S.p.A. is about to purchase 50% stake from Penske.[4] In February 11 Fiat Powertrain Technologies confirmed it has bought the 50 percent stake.[5]
SOURCE

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #8

I have the VM 2.8 in my Jeep. I like it a lot. I was considering the Grand Cherokee, but this is now my next vehicle... Pending any moves from the competition.

The naysayers will be naysayers. But this is a great move for those of us who want a pickup but have no need for 3/4 ton plus.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #9

The downside, U.S. diesel fuel prices are quite a bit higher than gasoline -with no end in sight. I'm all for diesel engines. The VW TDI has been a great engine for many decades, the 80's TDI's still sell for a premium.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #10

ChooChooman7 - there are a lot of great gasoline engines already in the light duty pick-up truck area. If I wanted a light duty truck I would not let the lack of a diesel engine stop me from buying one.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #11

FIAT: Fix It Again Tony

FORD: Found On the Road Dead

GM: Government Motors

Japanese Research & Development (R & D): Review and Duplicate

These are all entertaining but, even though some people believe, are not necessarily true (although Toyota admitted the original big Lexus was a reverse engineered Mercedes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #12

The 3.5 Ford V6 has 365 HP and 425 FPT. And comes in the F150 with 20 plus mpg in a 4X4. And with the twin turbo it has diesel like torque at low rpms. And you wouldn't have to be ashamed to tell people what you drive!
Old 02-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #13

Why would anyone be ashamed about a dodge. Its not like they built 8 or 9 years worth of sorry diesel engines in trucks and sold them at premium prices.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
ChooChooman7 - there are a lot of great gasoline engines already in the light duty pick-up truck area. If I wanted a light duty truck I would not let the lack of a diesel engine stop me from buying one.
Some people prefer gas. Others diesel. I had a 6.9 witb a hypermax turbo, 7.3 with a banks, a lull of cheap cars, and now my 2.8 Jeep. I am the one that prefers a diesel.