Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Right, I hear some driving 60 get as high as 12. looking at a 37' montana..

cuemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
The 2010 and up Ram heavy duty have a true crew cab. The no longer offer the quad cab of the old. Also, they have the regular cab and still the mega cab. Actually the ram crew cab has more room inside than gm trucks. Not sure about ford.
chad
As much as I love my VW V10 TDI Toaureg, I also have a 2012 Ram 2500 with the newer HO Cummins 6.7 (800lb-ft). It has 28k miles so it's broken in now and is a Mega Cab 2wd with a 3.73 rear.
Everything is OE stock. On the highway at 65-70mph I get a solid 20mpg. Towing our travel trailer we got about 12mpg around town and maybe 13-15mpg at 60mph on the highway, but our only highway run so far was a fairly short stint on flat terrain.
I'm up to 4 cars now and 3 of them are diesels.
I would agree with what was already said- don't worry too much about mileage. A well used (well maintained) diesel is a good choice. Slightly older ones have less emissions stuff and will ultimately be less of a headache, unless you are prepared to remove said equippment (for "offroad use only" of corse). Then your MPG will go up and your engine will live even longer, no matter if it's a VW, Cummins, Isuzu (Duramax), or Ford (who ever makes their diesels this year).

But no matter what you buy, DON'T use it as a daily driver around town (grocery getter) unless you do a solid 30 minutes on the highway on your commute. Short drives kill diesels, especially newer ones with all the emissions crap.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:02 AM   #17

8-12 mpg avg towing. Difference is weight and frontal area of rv. Basically a 8 foot sail being pulled down road at highway speeds. Faster you go the less mpg due to this. As far as the post stating maintenance is high on newer trucks I don't see it. DEF is only extra cost and it is cheap. I also put 225,000 on my 2005 Duramax and it was putting out more power then than new. Got new truck due to increased towing capacity. And this 2012 is a towing beast. Pulls our 21000# Teton well.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
With a 2010+, you are going to spend a good deal on maintenance alone.
???? I do not understand this broad comment.

Basically you can go with any of the big 3 manufactures for a new diesel truck. They are all pretty go now.

Ken
Old 02-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
???? I do not understand this broad comment.

Basically you can go with any of the big 3 manufactures for a new diesel truck. They are all pretty go now.

Ken
Guess I should have elaborated.

OP wanted, preferably, a 2010+. Those are not cheap on maintenance, compared to a gas vehicle. Most people do not understand an oil change is all it takes anymore.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuemaker View Post
what mileage can I expect in a 6.6 duramax gmc sierra denali dlually towing a 38' 5er...
I estimate 10 mpg based on my 2007 duramax. I get 10-11 towing a 6,000 lb TT, 10-11 towing a 9,000+ TT and 13-14 towing a low-boy trailer with 12,000 of steel.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Guess I should have elaborated.

OP wanted, preferably, a 2010+. Those are not cheap on maintenance, compared to a gas vehicle. Most people do not understand an oil change is all it takes anymore.
Why do you say that a gas engine is cheaper to maintain? It has been awhile but I know my diesel engine does not have spark plugs, spark plug wires, a coil or a distributor these all cost money to replace don't they? As I stated earlier my maintenance cost for my 08 Cummins is only $0.06 a mile which I think is really inexpensive compared to my 01 Chevy 6.0L gas truck cost me to maintain when I own one.

Jim W.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #22

I would agree a diesel is more expensive to repair. ( and I use 10 quarts of oil for my Duramax vs 5 for my gasser.) But it seems the folks taunting higher maintenance of diesels are the same folks driving gassers; especially those summarily passed by a Duramax, Cummins, or PowerStroke while climbing a three mile grade.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #23

Question, what happens if you do not use DEF, or run out of it, and keep on driving???
Surely people forget to put it in, or keep meaning to refill it, but never do...
What happens???
Old 02-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
Question, what happens if you do not use DEF, or run out of it, and keep on driving???
Surely people forget to put it in, or keep meaning to refill it, but never do...
What happens???
You are given warning 800-1000 miles ahead of time that it will be needed. Once you get to a certain point the PCM will reduce engine power to 30-50MPH roughly. If you continue then you will be stuck in idle only mode.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:57 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
This is from my owner's manual:
The following actions describe strategies required by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resource Board (CARB). The DEF messages relate to these strategies.
The DIC message EXHAUST FLUID RANGE: XXXX km (mi) displays at approximately 1600 km (1,000 mi) of fluid range remaining. This message appears again at approximately 500 km (300 mi) of remaining range before the exhaust fluid tank becomes empty.
Below 500 km (300 mi) of range remaining, these messages will appear every time the vehicle is started.
If these warnings are ignored and the DEF tank becomes empty, the DIC message EXHAUST FLUID EMPTY REFILL NOW - 644 KM (400 MI) UNTIL 105 KM/H (65 MPH) MAX SPEED displays. The displayed mileage will decrease as driving continues. A warning light also comes on.
When the mileage countdown is zero, the DIC message EXHAUST FLUID EMPTY REFILL NOW - TRANSITIONING TO 105 KM/H (65 MPH) MAX SPEED displays. A warning light and a chime also come on. Vehicle speed will be reduced to a maximum speed limit of 105 km/h (65 mph).

After the transition to 105 km/h (65 mph) is complete, the DIC message EXHAUST FLUID EMPTY REFILL NOW - SPEED LIMITED TO 105 KM/H (65 MPH) 120 KM (75 MI) UNTIL 89 KM/H (55 MPH) MAX SPEED displays. The displayed mileage will decrease as driving continues. A warning light and a chime also come on.

When the mileage countdown is zero, the DIC message EXHAUST FLUID EMPTY REFILL NOW - TRANSITIONING TO 89 KM/H (55 MPH) MAX SPEED displays. A flashing warning light and a chime also come on. Vehicle speed will be reduced to a maximum speed limit of 89 km/h (55 mph).
After the transition to 89 km/h (55 mph) is complete, the DIC message EXHAUST FLUID EMPTY REFILL NOW - SPEED LIMITED TO 89 KM/H (55 MPH)
120 KM (75 MI) UNTIL 7 KM/H (4 MPH) MAX SPEED displays. The displayed mileage will decrease as driving continues. A flashing warning light and a chime also come on.

When the mileage countdown is zero, the DIC message EXHAUST FLUID EMPTY REFILL NOW - TRANSITIONING TO 7 KM/H (4 MPH) MAX SPEED displays. A flashing warning light and a chime also come on. Vehicle speed will be reduced to a maximum speed limit of 7 km/h (4 mph).
After the transition to 7 km/h (4 mph) is complete, the DIC message EXHAUST FLUID EMPTY REFILL NOW - SPEED LIMITED TO 7 KM/H (4 MPH) displays. A flashing warning light and a chime also come on.
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:32 AM   #26

Very Interesting.
Other than the government imposed software disablement, which likely can easily be bypassed, is there any harm to the engine, by not using the DEF??
Just curious, as I am very interested in a diesel powered vehicle in the future.
But do not want to get stuck with some vehicle that requires some non availble product, or expensive product to run, that is no longer available, because the government changed the rules again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
This is from my owner's manual:
The following actions describe strategies required by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resource Board (CARB). The DEF messages relate to these strategies.
The DIC message EXHAUST FLUID RANGE: XXXX km (mi) displays at approximately 1600 km (1,000 mi) of fluid range remaining. This message appears again at approximately 500 km (300 mi) of remaining range before the exhaust fluid tank becomes empty.
Below 500 km (300 mi) of range remaining, these messages will appear every time the vehicle is started.
If these warnings are ignored and the DEF tank becomes empty, the DIC message EXHAUST FLUID EMPTY REFILL NOW - 644 KM (400 MI) UNTIL 105 KM/H (65 MPH) MAX SPEED displays. The displayed mileage will decrease as driving continues. A warning light also comes on.
When the mileage countdown is zero, the DIC message EXHAUST FLUID EMPTY REFILL NOW - TRANSITIONING TO 105 KM/H (65 MPH) MAX SPEED displays. A warning light and a chime also come on. Vehicle speed will be reduced to a maximum speed limit of 105 km/h (65 mph).

After the transition to 105 km/h (65 mph) is complete, the DIC message EXHAUST FLUID EMPTY REFILL NOW - SPEED LIMITED TO 105 KM/H (65 MPH) 120 KM (75 MI) UNTIL 89 KM/H (55 MPH) MAX SPEED displays. The displayed mileage will decrease as driving continues. A warning light and a chime also come on.

When the mileage countdown is zero, the DIC message EXHAUST FLUID EMPTY REFILL NOW - TRANSITIONING TO 89 KM/H (55 MPH) MAX SPEED displays. A flashing warning light and a chime also come on. Vehicle speed will be reduced to a maximum speed limit of 89 km/h (55 mph).
After the transition to 89 km/h (55 mph) is complete, the DIC message EXHAUST FLUID EMPTY REFILL NOW - SPEED LIMITED TO 89 KM/H (55 MPH)
120 KM (75 MI) UNTIL 7 KM/H (4 MPH) MAX SPEED displays. The displayed mileage will decrease as driving continues. A flashing warning light and a chime also come on.

When the mileage countdown is zero, the DIC message EXHAUST FLUID EMPTY REFILL NOW - TRANSITIONING TO 7 KM/H (4 MPH) MAX SPEED displays. A flashing warning light and a chime also come on. Vehicle speed will be reduced to a maximum speed limit of 7 km/h (4 mph).
After the transition to 7 km/h (4 mph) is complete, the DIC message EXHAUST FLUID EMPTY REFILL NOW - SPEED LIMITED TO 7 KM/H (4 MPH) displays. A flashing warning light and a chime also come on.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:53 AM   #27

Quote:
Very Interesting.
Other than the government imposed software disablement, which likely can easily be bypassed, is there any harm to the engine, by not using the DEF??
Just curious, as I am very interested in a diesel powered vehicle in the future.
But do not want to get stuck with some vehicle that requires some non availble product, or expensive product to run, that is no longer available, because the government changed the rules again.
Illegal, but yes, you can delete all emissions different "ways."
The product is widely available so no issue there. Not really expensive. And even if rules change, they won't apply to your truck.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:20 AM   #28

Quote:
Very Interesting.
When the truck runs out of DEF it will go into limp mode and when shut off it will not restart until the DEF fluid is present in the tank.
The DEF fluid is very easy to find all semi-truck plazas they have this at the diesel pumps for sale approximately $2.75 to $3.00 a gallon at Flying J-or Pilot. This is also sold at most Napa, stores, Walmart, Autozone and Oreillyauto stores to name a few. The price will range from $7.50 a gallon to $16 for 2.5 gallon containers.
There is a noticeable improvement in fuel mileage that has been noted in the 2013.5 and up Cummins engines over the original 6.7L engines from 2007.5 to 2012 engines. In fact the horsepower and torque of the 2013.5 and up engines is even higher than the same engine size in trucks from 2007.5 and up to 2010. Both in towing and non towing driving so the additional cost of the DEF solution is offset by the mileage improvement.
DEF is not a new product as such it has been used in Europe for diesel emission control long before it was introduced in the US.

Jim W.

Tags
diesel