Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #1

Used Diesel Trucks- Mileage ????

Looking at used 250/2500 Diesel Trucks starting at 2010 models. How many miles are too much ??? Never bought a diesel before and it's going to be my commute vehicle to work for a few years till i retire in addition to our tow vehicle. I must confess to being a Dodge man, but they do not offer a cab plus like Ford, just a 4 door.

Thanks Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #2

Actually too little of milage is worse . Using a diesel engine for short trips is considered severe duty.
jrgreenacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #3

First question is why do you want a diesel truck for commuting to and from work? If you have several years before you will need one, then start saving by driving something very economical to and from work.

For me it's how many miles are too few. If a vehicle is not driven enough to warm up all the fluids frequently enough then you have a lot of condensation that has no where to go. A High Mileage vehicle in my opinion is a much better vehicle if there are service records to go along with the miles.

Good luck with your search.

Rod
lappir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #4

Fyi - in 2011 all three HD trucks were greatly improved. Especially the 2011 Chevy/GMC with a much improved frame with more high strength steal plus a new boxed design.

Twice I saw the new frame vs the old frame at RV/Boat shows.

The bad news is 2011 starts the use of DEF but the Chevy Duramax engine puts out more HP and Torque. I have a 2012 Ford. The DEF so far really is not an issue. I get approx. 3,000 miles on 2.5 gallon of DEF. That is a mix of towing 40% non towing 60%. The Ford tank holds 5 gallons of DEF. I think the Chevy is the same.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #5

With a 2010+, you are going to spend a good deal on maintenance alone.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #6

Low miles on a diesel are only bad if the truck is used for short hops. Nothing wrong with a diesel truck used for mainly towing and used sparingly in between.
For a 2010 I would go Dmax. Ford still had the gas hog 6.4 and Ram had teething issues with the 2010 6.7. Rams were mostly software emissions issues IIRC. Ford was on the last leg of the 6.0-6.4 Navistar debacle.
The Dmax and Allison tranny combo are well proven.
On a 2010 I wouldn't worry about mileage too much. I certainly wouldn't get one of the high mileage units, like 80,000 miles. I would look for something that had at least 12,000 a year on it. So maybe in the 45-50,000 range.
Not sure why you don't like the 4 door Dodge, it's really more of a smaller crew cab and isn't really much bigger than the super cab Ford offers. Just me but I hate those suicide opening doors on a super cab. Specially when parked next to another vehicle. Always have to play the musical door thing.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Looking at used 250/2500 Diesel Trucks starting at 2010 models. How many miles are too much ??? Never bought a diesel before and it's going to be my commute vehicle to work for a few years till i retire in addition to our tow vehicle. I must confess to being a Dodge man, but they do not offer a cab plus like Ford, just a 4 door.

Thanks Jim
I am not going to get into what model of truck is better than the other ones; as this is always a personal preference to the end user.
What I am providing is a link to a PDF booklet that can be downloaded for free from Turbo Diesel Register. Com. The booklet is called a Turbo Diesel Buyers Guide although the book is geared to the Ram trucks the general information can be used for any diesel truck.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/magazines/buyersguide.phtml

By the way everyone knows the Cummins engines are the best it just comes in a RAM wrapper. Don’t believe me just look at all of the conversion kits to put the Cummins engines in other pick-ups, you do not see these kits to allow a power stroke or a D-max engine to be placed in a Ram do you?

Jim W.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
With a 2010+, you are going to spend a good deal on maintenance alone.
Are you sure? I have an 2008 Ram Cummins Mega Cab and my maintenance cost is just $0.06 a mile for 70,000 miles so far. This includes two fuel filters every 10,000 miles and oil changes every 5,000 miles. Plus all of the required maintenance at the standard intervals for axles, transmission, air filters, tires for my truck and a set of batteries.

Jim W.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Low miles on a diesel are only bad if the truck is used for short hops. Nothing wrong with a diesel truck used for mainly towing and used sparingly in between.
For a 2010 I would go Dmax. Ford still had the gas hog 6.4 and Ram had teething issues with the 2010 6.7. Rams were mostly software emissions issues IIRC. Ford was on the last leg of the 6.0-6.4 Navistar debacle.
The Dmax and Allison tranny combo are well proven.
On a 2010 I wouldn't worry about mileage too much. I certainly wouldn't get one of the high mileage units, like 80,000 miles. I would look for something that had at least 12,000 a year on it. So maybe in the 45-50,000 range.
Not sure why you don't like the 4 door Dodge, it's really more of a smaller crew cab and isn't really much bigger than the super cab Ford offers. Just me but I hate those suicide opening doors on a super cab. Specially when parked next to another vehicle. Always have to play the musical door thing.
The 2010 and up Ram heavy duty have a true crew cab. The no longer offer the quad cab of the old. Also, they have the regular cab and still the mega cab. Actually the ram crew cab has more room inside than gm trucks. Not sure about ford.
chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lappir View Post
First question is why do you want a diesel truck for commuting to and from work? If you have several years before you will need one, then start saving by driving something very economical to and from work.

For me it's how many miles are too few. If a vehicle is not driven enough to warm up all the fluids frequently enough then you have a lot of condensation that has no where to go. A High Mileage vehicle in my opinion is a much better vehicle if there are service records to go along with the miles.

Good luck with your search.

Rod
Go with this advise because its the best advice you will get . no bs here
jrgreenacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was camped next to a guy last summer who had 365,000 miles on a 2007 half ton chevy pickup with the 4.8 gas engine. He changed oil when the change oil light came on and used Walmart regular brand...Supertech oil.

Based on that I'd say a diesel with a 150,000 miles would be a good buy as diesels go a lot longer than gas engines.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #12

Thanks Guys
Guess i'll just sit tight rite now with my Ram 1500 4.7 (until retirement ), it's doing fine, was just thinking about some better MPG.
Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
what mileage can I expect in a 6.6 duramax gmc sierra denali dlually towing a 38' 5er...
cuemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #14

Lots of "mileage" threads, but you'll average probably 8-12MPG. I give a +-4MPG window because you didn't say GVWR, wind profile, and there is head/tail/side winds to factor in.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel