Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2008, 09:40 AM   #1

I've been tracking MDT sales on ebay, truckpaper.com and that horse trailer site for about three weeks. Nothing is moving. Not one hauler/toter on ebay that I've followed has sold. I'm only tracking versatile haulers 300 hp or over. Nada. There are bids but generally $10k to $12k under the reserve or buy-it-now price.

I surmise we are in that phase where sellers are hoping for the market to come back a bit and are unwilling to let their trucks go well under what they 'think' they are worth. I'm wondering how much worse it will get. If I was a seller right now I'd be thinking that 3/4 of my price was better than nothing at all. I think we stand a good chance of reaching a point where one couldn't sell a MDT set up as a hauler for any price.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2008, 12:12 PM   #2

IF you want to get right down to it, you cannot give away a RV or a TV no matter what it is right now. Only thing that is moving at all are small fuel efficient cars and those are what I would call slow selling. With fuel prices eating up 35% of a persons Gross income just getting to work it is no wonder.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
When they get down to 30 to 50 cents on the dollar, let me know. $130K+ for a MDT RV toter is a little rich for my blood.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:42 AM   #4

It is not suprising. Anyone can buy a HDT conversion to RV toter for around $45K. More truck, less investment.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:01 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Most of those MDT's are fuel thirsty too; I read of claims of 15 mpg in ads but when I talk to guys in CG's they're talking 7 or 8 towing. Geesh, I get up to 11 (10 on average) with my 1 ton dually and the guys with Dodges do better than that.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by 450Donn:
With fuel prices eating up 35% of a persons Gross income just getting to work it is no wonder.
Where do you work???? 35% of your gross. I think I'd find another job some where, either that or you must drive a heck of alot of miles.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:18 AM   #7

If I were not retired, I would be spending close to $100 a week on fuel just to get to work if I were driving my truck. My job was about 40 miles from home. In the winter it would go up a bit because of the diesel mixture and cold.
Many people in Western Michigan travel that far to go to work for a $10 an hour job. Since NAFTA hit, a good share of out jobs have gone to Mexico and China. The fuel prices have killed the finances of a lot of folks here. There was a guy on TV a while back that quit his job because the cost to get there was reaching almost what he made in take home wages. He lived 60 miles from the job and had an older gas pickup truck that got 10-12 MPG. He was 62 and retired 3 years early. The price has gone up about 50 cents a gal since then.
Problem is that the ones that need the small cars for the mileage can't afford to purchase them and what they have to trade in is worthless.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #8

I have always known RV's are a lousy investment if you consider ROI. Well cars are rapidly becoming just as bad. In 4-5 years they will lose 50-60% of their value. Some dealers make no bones about not even wanting your gas guzzler at any price.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by RustyJC:
When they get down to 30 to 50 cents on the dollar, let me know. $130K+ for a MDT RV toter is a little rich for my blood.

Rusty
You might want to take a look at this site. There are a couple of real bargains.
http://mdt-bof.org/for-sale/for-sale.htm
Old 10-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by Hitchhiker:
Most of those MDT's are fuel thirsty too; I read of claims of 15 mpg in ads but when I talk to guys in CG's they're talking 7 or 8 towing. Geesh, I get up to 11 (10 on average) with my 1 ton dually and the guys with Dodges do better than that.
Depends on what you're towing. My '02 F-550 CC PSD with an 11' bed (automatic, 4,88's) gets about 14.5 bobtailing, 13 towing an 18' open hauler with a car; 11 towing my 24' enclosed with a car; or 8-ish towing the 39-footer (27,800 GCW).

I don't diddle around - I'm usually a running at the limit. The only mods to the truck are step 2 of a 3-step programmer (supposedly ~340HP).

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #11

Hi all,
The guy I bought my last 4 trucks from Cartec Motors in NJ), I think just went under as well. They recently got into hi-end MHs and toters, larger building as well. Sorry to see it. Always got great deals and trucks!

Rich
Old 02-21-2009, 07:00 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Guys,
Unless your investing in classic cars, or selling for a living, anything with wheels is not an investment.