RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #1

Using a higher weight rated distribution hitch than needed

I can get a 14,000 pound with 1000 to 1400 pound tongue weight
I can get a 12,000 pound with 800 to 1200 pound tongue weight rated.
They have sway control built into the bars and are Husky TS models.

I would like to know, if I used the higher weight hitch on a lower weight trailer, tongue weight say 800 pounds, what is the effect of doing this?

I was watching a video where an owner got too low weight rated hitch and his bars were visibly bending, he was 200 pounds over the rating of the hitch. So he had to get the higher rated hitch. I can imagine our stuff getting in the trailer and making it heavier on the tongue.

I dont mind getting a higher rated hitch, if itis not going to be a big problem.
Tow vehicle is a 2005 DRW Quad cab Ram 3500 with cummins diesel.

sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #2

I tow a 26' TT that is about 6500 loaded with 850 or so on the tongue, with a Husky TS and the 800-1200 lb bars. It tows great. No sway, no bounce.

Is is possible, I am told, to put too much stress on the trailer's A frame with bars that are wildly oversized.

What are you planning to tow?

steve52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:32 PM   #3

A travel trailer something between 30 and 34 feet. Yet to be determined. But I wanted to get the weight distributing hitch sooner.
Bars tension can be adjusted. I have read ride is stiffer with beefier bars. Truck is pretty beefy by itself and stiff. I was also thinking less wear and tear on a beefier hitch.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:52 PM   #4

As Steve52 mentioned, too heavy a bar can add stress to the frame but this shouldn't be too much of a problem when towing mainly on roads. Weekend Warrior had a big problem years ago with TT frames severely bending when towed off highway. Their recommendation was to disconnect the bars as soon as you leave the highway. Well that, and don't overload your toy hauler with an improperly rated frame.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:18 PM   #5

These centerline hitches say they can accommodate up to 8 inch trailer beam frame heights. What is the typical frame height for 30 to 34 foot TT?
Old 03-22-2019, 05:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I can get a 14,000 pound with 1000 to 1400 pound tongue weight
I can get a 12,000 pound with 800 to 1200 pound tongue weight rated.
They have sway control built into the bars and are Husky TS models.
That's an "economy" priced hitch. It's okay, but not nearly as good as other WD hitches that cost a bit more. The Husky Centerline HD 31390 is much better for sway control, but is now discontinued. If you can find one still in stock that will be a much better choice for you - but it will cost more than the TS.

Here's one on eBay right now. Note it's just the head, so you would need the spring bars and mounting brackets that are included in the Center Line Assembly pkg that's firther down the page in that link.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Husky-31390...-/263848280463

If you choose to not go to the trouble to build a Centerline HD. then other brands of WD hitches are probably just as good as the Centerline HD and better than the Centerline TS.

Equal-I-Zer 4P
Blue Ox SwayPro
Reese Strait-Line trunnion

Quote:
I would like to know, if I used the higher weight hitch on a lower weight trailer, tongue weight say 800 pounds, what is the effect of doing this?
No big problem. If your TW is less than the TW rating of the hitch, you simply don't tighten the spring bars as tight as they will go. Tighten the spring bars only as tight as required to return the distance from the lip of the front wheel well to close to unloaded height.

The ProPride hitch on my TT is rated for up to 1,400 pounds TW, but my actual TW is about 650 pounds. But I adjust the hitch to handle the actual TW and it tows great. The Strait-Line hitch on my cargo trailer is rated up to 800 pounds TW, and that's about what I have when hauling a trailer load of household goods, and that tows great too.

I have the Hensley ProPride hitch on my TT, and it's easy to adjust the tension on the springs to make the front end height perfect. With the Reese StraitLine trunnion bar hitch on my cargo trailer, it's a lot more trouble to get it close, and no way to get it perfect. That's because with the ProPride I can turn the spring bar jacks any amount to achieve a perfect front end rise. But the StraitLine uses chain lengths, and one length may be too much or too little to achieve a perfect front end height.

I dont mind getting a higher rated hitch, if itis not going to be a big problem.
Tow vehicle is a 2005 DRW Quad cab Ram 3500 with cummins diesel.[/QUOTE]
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (over 1,800 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:12 PM   #7

With that size of the truck all you need a wdh for is help with sway. That truck can handle tongue weight without a wdh.
kylemcmahon1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #8

I have a Husky Centerline HD 1400/14000 on my setup. Trailer gross is 9900, unladen 7300#, tongue weight before toys in the rear is 1200#. The trailer pulls very well with this setup. Front wheel well height returned to 70% of non hitched height. Some trailers are heavier in the tongue than others, so possibly err on the heavier side bars since you don't have a trailer yet.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 Max Tow
alb2tpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

In case my previous post confused you, when you drop the coupler of a loaded trailer onto the hitch ball of the tow vehicle, the rear end of the tow vehicle will squat and the front end will rise.

The result of a properly-adjusted WD hitch is to return the front end rise back down to near the unloaded height.

The floor of the trailer should be level, front to rear, after the spring bars are properly adjusted. If not, you need to adjust the position of the ball mount on the adjustable shank to result in a level trailer after it's all connected, adjusted, and ready to roll.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:37 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemcmahon1 View Post
With that size of the truck all you need a wdh for is help with sway. That truck can handle tongue weight without a wdh.
Agree. But sway is the killer. An all the good sway-control hitches also include weight distribution. I wouldn't leave home towing that trailer without a good WD/sway-control hitch.

And sway bars are not a good choice for sway control. That's the cheap solution to give you minimum sway control, but they won't do the job under severe sway-causing conditions.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #11

Having a hitch with too much capacity is not a problem. Having spring bars that are not matched to the weight of the trailer "may" reduce the effectiveness of the built-in sway control. Call Husky and ask about that.
tfryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Agree. But sway is the killer. An all the good sway-control hitches also include weight distribution. I wouldn't leave home towing that trailer without a good WD/sway-control hitch.

And sway bars are not a good choice for sway control. That's the cheap solution to give you minimum sway control, but they won't do the job under severe sway-causing conditions.

I would buy an Anderson wdh and be done. I put one with my 3/4 ton truck and 38 ft tt with a gvwr of 11,000 lbs. works great. Lite weight so easy to handle. No 100 lb hitch. Just chains. Easy to adjust to different load situations.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemcmahon1 View Post
I would buy an Anderson wdh and be done. I put one with my 3/4 ton truck and 38 ft tt with a gvwr of 11,000 lbs. works great. Lite weight so easy to handle. No 100 lb hitch. Just chains. Easy to adjust to different load situations.
Sorry, I decided I dont like it due to the plastic center cone. even the company makes mention of it working its way up, then they will send you another. But on some reviews some had that cone failing in a few days or weeks of use, so then say your out in the middle of your trip and what are you going to do? It feels fundamentally flawed to me. Should have been designed with a lip to keep the cone down but then so much pressure would destroy the plastic lip, I dont think its a good idea.
It is deforming under lots of weight because its a soft plastic cone, so its likely heating up then gets soft, then squeezing itself upwards.
Another reviewer complaint was the chain pin where it join to the head warped and they could not take it apart.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Sorry, I decided I dont like it due to the plastic center cone. even they make mention of it working its way up, then they will send you another. But on some reviews some had that cone failing in a few days or weeks of use, so then say your out in the middle of your trip and what are you going to do? It feels fundamentally flawed to me. Another reviewer complaint was the chain pin where it join to the head warped and they could not take it apart.

You should ask more people. The chain plate has been changed and works perfect. And I have towed my large tt over 10,000 miles on the same cone that came with it. No problems. Every now and then you reseat the cone which takes all of 5 minutes with snap rig pliers and a dead blow.

But to each his own. The good news is when it comes to things like this we can all be right. And have good points to think about.

Tags
weight