Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2018, 07:12 AM   #1

Using Air Bags

Hello everyone. I’m trading in my 36 ft 5er toy hauler for a heavy truck camper on Monday. Lance 1172. I will be towing my Jeep on a trailer as well.
Wet weight of the camper will be about 5k. Plus another 500 when the Jeep is back there.

I have a 2011 Ram 3500 DRW with a Cummins . I installed some Airlift 7500 lb bags recently. I have never used bags before. So couple questions.

Do I want to raise the back of the truck up to the level it normally is when empty? Or is a little squat desired? .

When I load the camper should I have a little air in them, a lot of air? Basically should I prefill the bags?

I wasn’t sure if this should be in Truck Camper or tow vehicle? Move if necessary thank you.
Nwatkins176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwatkins176 View Post
Hello everyone. I’m trading in my 36 ft 5er toy hauler for a heavy truck camper on Monday. Lance 1172. I will be towing my Jeep on a trailer as well.
Wet weight of the camper will be about 5k. Plus another 500 when the Jeep is back there.

I have a 2011 Ram 3500 DRW with a Cummins . I installed some Airlift 7500 lb bags recently. I have never used bags before. So couple questions.

Do I want to raise the back of the truck up to the level it normally is when empty? Or is a little squat desired? .

When I load the camper should I have a little air in them, a lot of air? Basically should I prefill the bags?

I wasn’t sure if this should be in Truck Camper or tow vehicle? Move if necessary thank you.
The factory rear air puts the truck pretty much back where it started, so you could mimic that behavior with your aftermarket bags. That would at least get the headlights back to the level they started too.

As for loading the camper...I'm pretty sure most bag makers say not to run empty. There is likely some minimum pressure required. Also, the bag maker may be of some help with regards to recommended air specifically while loading the truck.

As for the Jeep. Have you considered selling the trailer and just towing it 4 down? Or maybe you have big mud tires you don't want torn up on the road...I don't know.

Anywho, enjoy and good luck!!

Ken
Old 05-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuffmanjr View Post
The factory rear air puts the truck pretty much back where it started, so you could mimic that behavior with your aftermarket bags. That would at least get the headlights back to the level they started too.

As for loading the camper...I'm pretty sure most bag makers say not to run empty. There is likely some minimum pressure required. Also, the bag maker may be of some help with regards to recommended air specifically while loading the truck.

As for the Jeep. Have you considered selling the trailer and just towing it 4 down? Or maybe you have big mud tires you don't want torn up on the road...I don't know.

Anywho, enjoy and good luck!!

Ken
Thanks for the help. Jeep is on 35's and mud terrains. We have to trailer it. We are going to be heavy and probably a little over payload fully loaded. Under the axle ratings. I think the truck will be fine. If not I guess i got to start looking at a new truck.
Nwatkins176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwatkins176 View Post
Thanks for the help. Jeep is on 35's and mud terrains. We have to trailer it. We are going to be heavy and probably a little over payload fully loaded. Under the axle ratings. I think the truck will be fine. If not I guess i got to start looking at a new truck.
If you want more payload than a RAM 3500 DRW, then you need to bump up to the 4500/5500. A custom bed or mounts for putting the camper in place and you should be set.

You could also load the Jeep in such a way as to be as light as possible on the truck's hitch, but then you'd be dealing with sway issues.

I'm all for staying within spec'd limits of the truck, but you're right, the truck should be fine. The problems come if you have an accident, and if the adjuster does that much work to find out you were over. They'll cover you, but not after that.

Safe option would be to go up to the heavier truck, I guess. Tough call!

Ken
Old 05-17-2018, 07:03 PM   #5

This is kinda what you want, I guess.

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/...ge-5500-10.jpg

Just call it a RAM 5500 and you have some idea of the possibilities.

Ken
Old 05-27-2018, 03:04 PM   #6

Since your question concerns only using your current truck of the 2011 model with the Lance camper and air bags. I will answer your question on how I would level the truck when using air bags!

I would measured the rear bumper height unloaded I.E. no camper in the bed of the truck. I would than install the camper on to the truck. Inflate the air bags to provide the same rear bumper height. This will placed the truck in the same position as stock. You can now play around with the inflation pressure to fine tune the ride and to insure your headlights are still aimed correctly. Ram has designed the truck for a little squat, about 2 inches. This still allows the head lights to be aimed correctly for on coming traffic
Old 05-31-2018, 03:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Since your question concerns only using your current truck of the 2011 model with the Lance camper and air bags. I will answer your question on how I would level the truck when using air bags!

I would measured the rear bumper height unloaded I.E. no camper in the bed of the truck. I would than install the camper on to the truck. Inflate the air bags to provide the same rear bumper height. This will placed the truck in the same position as stock. You can now play around with the inflation pressure to fine tune the ride and to insure your headlights are still aimed correctly. Ram has designed the truck for a little squat, about 2 inches. This still allows the head lights to be aimed correctly for on coming traffic
His second post suggested that he'd be open to looking for a new truck if the current truck was overloaded. Thanks.

Ken

Tags
air