Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Weed View Post
I was told by dealer ships in Longview 7.3L was best they ever made and they couldn't understand why ford stop making them.
No way to make the 7.3L emissions friendly, I was told it was impossible, so the only choice was to quit making it...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know what "emissions friendly" is, but they are tightening and tightening the emissions standards for diesels in the USA... It's a part of why we have limited options.

I like the advent of DEF to help resolve this problem.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
I don't know what "emissions friendly" is, but they are tightening and tightening the emissions standards for diesels in the USA... It's a part of why we have limited options.

I like the advent of DEF to help resolve this problem.
Big change 2007 they went to the particulate filters on diesels, even the Sportchassis as well...thats why I bought mine with 2006 engine, has EGR, but no particulate filter to deal with...7.3L had nothing and they had to completely redesign...
Old 07-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #32

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Eight large to "bullet proof" a 6.0? Would love to know that guy's labor rate. In my case, new head gaskets, decked heads, new oil and EGR coolers and ARP head studs were the only "required" items, the new stainless exhaust, coolant filter system, and transmission fluid filter system were goodies. Three days of shop time that included a cab lift. Total goodies and labor? $5600. Well worth the improvements.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #33

I would agree that $8k to bulletproof the 6.0 is excessive. I would also say you need to research the various myths and facts about this engine. I also would suggest talking direct to a knowledgeable Ford diesel mechanic that has experience with this engine.

I needed a big SUV with serious pulling power. Diesel Suburbans are pretty rare so the Excursion was our choice. I researched it first, understood what I was getting into and moved forward. I got a good deal on a 2005 with 89k miles knowing I would be investing more money in it.

The FICM, EGR cooler, Oil cooler and headbolts were all known issues. The FICM was easy and cost me $450 doing it myself. I just paid to have both coolers replaced at the same time. Ford did the work and I used a Bulletproof brand EGR cooler. I bought most of the Ford parts (including several update parts) from Toulsey Ford and had my local dealer install for about $3k. The headbolts will wait. My belief from the research I did is that a majority of the problems are related to the Ford Gold coolant clogging up the poorly designed oil cooler system causing a cascade effect to the EGR system and eventually it can cause the weak headbolts to fail. I did an extensive flush of my cooling system first and found a ton of "sand" which people claim is either from the old Ford Gold coolant or casting sand or both. Either way it clogs the oil cooler and your problems start. I changed to the CAT EC-1 red coolant that was originally recommended by International who made the engine. I also put on a coolant filter just for piece of mind to protect the new oil cooler.

This worked for me based on what I needed and how long we plan to have the truck. I wouldn't be scared of the engine if you understand what the issues are going in. Just don't overpay for one that needs these repairs.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

Joe
Old 07-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenoit28 View Post
I would agree that $8k to bulletproof the 6.0 is excessive. I would also say you need to research the various myths and facts about this engine. I also would suggest talking direct to a knowledgeable Ford diesel mechanic that has experience with this engine.

I needed a big SUV with serious pulling power. Diesel Suburbans are pretty rare so the Excursion was our choice. I researched it first, understood what I was getting into and moved forward. I got a good deal on a 2005 with 89k miles knowing I would be investing more money in it.

The FICM, EGR cooler, Oil cooler and headbolts were all known issues. The FICM was easy and cost me $450 doing it myself. I just paid to have both coolers replaced at the same time. Ford did the work and I used a Bulletproof brand EGR cooler. I bought most of the Ford parts (including several update parts) from Toulsey Ford and had my local dealer install for about $3k. The headbolts will wait. My belief from the research I did is that a majority of the problems are related to the Ford Gold coolant clogging up the poorly designed oil cooler system causing a cascade effect to the EGR system and eventually it can cause the weak headbolts to fail. I did an extensive flush of my cooling system first and found a ton of "sand" which people claim is either from the old Ford Gold coolant or casting sand or both. Either way it clogs the oil cooler and your problems start. I changed to the CAT EC-1 red coolant that was originally recommended by International who made the engine. I also put on a coolant filter just for piece of mind to protect the new oil cooler.

This worked for me based on what I needed and how long we plan to have the truck. I wouldn't be scared of the engine if you understand what the issues are going in. Just don't overpay for one that needs these repairs.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

Joe
well said. About covers it. I also heard that its a balance either stock bolts or studs. The studs might cause other parts of the engiine to fail. So stock for me and so far gaskets are great due to EGR mods done early while the oil cooler was at 15 to 20 deg from coolent. Monitoring a 6oh is cheap with a ScangaugeII.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
His numbers was for a total tare down and rebuilt with all new parts and some HD parts, better coolers, better turbo, etc. Power wise the new engine would beat the pants off of a standard 6.0L. So he was not talking about a stock rebuild.

Ken
Old 07-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Weed View Post
With the cost of parts $3105.00 and $4000 "Looking a roughly $4k????? maybe in labor." for labor James stated! The total price is pretty close to $7000.-8000. So sounds like Kens mechanic is in the right ball park.
What I've heard of 6.0L was not to get one, I know the mechanics personally, so I wouldn't have one. I was told by dealer ships in Longview 7.3L was best they ever made and they couldn't understand why ford stop making them.

So I guess the best we can say it's a draw and every one's trying to help.
Opinions are like hair cuts we all gottem. Just some aren't as good as others..

A little delayed here do to out camping over the last 4 days but a total rebuild was not mentioned. He just stated to make it reliable. A rebuild would be expensive as mentioned. However, in almost all cases, a rebuilt engine is not necessary. But, if you want some major stump puller engine that blows a lot of black smoke, then some internal engine mods would likely be in order.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #37

There is a REASON the 6.0 Ford diesels are commonly referred to as the "6.OH-NOOoooo" diesels from Ford...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Others had 2 wets of injectors replace (same truck), a couple with turbo problems and a couple with blown head gaskets. None of these trucks were chipped.

Ken
This goes back to identifying the root cause of the failure. Common since should take place here (mostly for the tech working on it) that this many injectors should not fail. I can understand one or two, but two sets indicates another root cause and it has been missed. The biggest thing that comes to mind is clogged fuel filters. If the filters are not changed when needed, the fuel pressure can drop and cause combustion pressure to push into the injector and damage it. A fuel pump can also cause this. In some cases the injector seals can go bad and cause a misfire symptom. If not properly diagnosed, the tech will replace the injector instead of the seals. This seal issue can also cause the injectors on that entire bank to "appear" bad.

A FICM failure can set all 8 injector circuit codes to set. Again, common sense should kick in at this point to see why so many codes are being set. Low charging voltage, low starting cranking voltage can also cause false circuit DTCs. I do not know the details on why 16 injectors needed to be replaced, but im guessing there was some misdiag here.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
Eight large to "bullet proof" a 6.0? Would love to know that guy's labor rate. In my case, new head gaskets, decked heads, new oil and EGR coolers and ARP head studs were the only "required" items, the new stainless exhaust, coolant filter system, and transmission fluid filter system were goodies. Three days of shop time that included a cab lift. Total goodies and labor? $5600. Well worth the improvements.
In an RV application, Class-C, can you get the heads off without lifting the cab?
Old 07-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
There is a REASON the 6.0 Ford diesels are commonly referred to as the "6.OH-NOOoooo" diesels from Ford...
I owned a 98 6.5 GM Diesel for 9 years with no prpblems whatsoever. Towed a trailer 50% heavier then GM recomended and with great satisfaction. Everyone I tell, I had one of those I get the coment, and how many Fuel Pump did you change.
They were so badly treated by GM that to save face the diesel option was only $3500 on the 2500 when I bought mine. Had fuel mileage problem from the start and relocated the fuel pump controls as recomended. Cost $340 and did it the 1st year. It pulled as well as any other diesel and at the end it ran like new with 200k.
So I did learn my lesson and bought this F250 for 8k cheaper the a GM with twice the mileage. Its working hard and well suited for my towing and with proper maintenance my operating cost is much less then a previous 1/4 ton Ranger. And I tow 3 times the trailer weight. The same can be said about a previous 1/2 ton with 1/2 the trailer capacity.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
In an RV application, Class-C, can you get the heads off without lifting the cab?
Nope, if the cab is secured to the body builders add on or there is an addon over the cab, the engine comes out the front. The boost is lowered in the van configurations thus the lower horsepower and torque ratings. No point in trying to make more power in a van configuration. Not enough heat extraction and the PCM will not allow it.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:29 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
This goes back to identifying the root cause of the failure. Common since should take place here (mostly for the tech working on it) that this many injectors should not fail. I can understand one or two, but two sets indicates another root cause and it has been missed. The biggest thing that comes to mind is clogged fuel filters. If the filters are not changed when needed, the fuel pressure can drop and cause combustion pressure to push into the injector and damage it. A fuel pump can also cause this. In some cases the injector seals can go bad and cause a misfire symptom. If not properly diagnosed, the tech will replace the injector instead of the seals. This seal issue can also cause the injectors on that entire bank to "appear" bad.

A FICM failure can set all 8 injector circuit codes to set. Again, common sense should kick in at this point to see why so many codes are being set. Low charging voltage, low starting cranking voltage can also cause false circuit DTCs. I do not know the details on why 16 injectors needed to be replaced, but im guessing there was some misdiag here.
None of the 6 X 6.0L engines that we owned either my Brother in Law or Myself were chipped either...all failures except for one and it was traded off before it had 22,000 miles on it...we did pull trailers with all of the engines as well from 6000 Lbs to 16,000 lbs...3 of the engines failed pulling 6000 Lb trailers...One reason I went with Sportchassis instead of International when I went to Medium Duty...the 6.0L were a great idea they just didn't work, I've had lots of those myself...