Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #1

V10 versus ford 6.0 diesel

I currently tow with a 1999 ford f350 cc drw with a v10 and 2wd. Runs great, looks like new about 111000 miles.
I saw a 2005 ford f350 drw cc 4x4 with the 6.0 diesel engine with 101000 miles for $16k.

Would it be worth looking into the 2005 diesel.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Not a bad price to me and it would make less engine noise, it's 4X4, 6 years newer and might get better fuel mph. BUT it has close to same mileage as your current truck, you know your maintenance scheduled, how you keep it up. Fords motors after 7.3L engine aren't holding up as good and are having major failure, google Ford 6.0L motor reviews, there are some good 6.0L. Get a carfax and asked whats been done to engine, I was looking at a 2011 Ford in Tyler. After seeing the carfax it had the last owner less than two months, one before that was 7 months, showed it had engine problems. IM not trying to knock Ford I promise.
That's the reason I went with a GMC and Allison 6 speed trans. I loved my Ford and IM loving my GMC.
Good luck

Old 07-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Definitely be aware of what you're getting into with the 6.0L. It can be a good motor, but is going to need proof of explicit types of maintenance to make sure it has a good long life. Historically they are high repair cost motors and they don't take well to "chipping".

I'll do better in MPG for sure.

I looked at two 2005 Class-Cs. I bought the gas version rather than the 6.0L simply because I didn't feel like dropping money into the thing initially to make it more reliable than the factory. I'd have no issue with a 7.3L diesel or the more modern 6.7L diesel... Again, just know what you're getting into.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #4

I have read up on the 6.0 and i have passed on one before. I saw the carfax. A port clinton, oh truck. Heavy snow/salt in the winters. I took a look at it tonight. Didnt start it or drive it but it definitely shows heavy salt use. Frame shows rust, doors show rust and needs 6 tires.

As said, i know my v10. I'll keep it and let the 6.0 go. I can't afford a money pit. I know i can get another 50k out of my '99 with minimal expense.

Thanks for the insights.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinjim View Post
I currently tow with a 1999 ford f350 cc drw with a v10 and 2wd. Runs great, looks like new about 111000 miles.
I saw a 2005 ford f350 drw cc 4x4 with the 6.0 diesel engine with 101000 miles for $16k.

Would it be worth looking into the 2005 diesel.

Thanks
Not enough info for me to give you an informed comment. Need more info: what are you towing?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #6

Bubwheat, i have a 30' sunnybrook 5th wheel. Bunkhouse w/ two slides.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #7

Might want to check out a few websites discussing the 6.0 powerstroke problems, here's one:

Common 6.0L Power Stroke Problems

Good luck

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No 6.0L ford diesel for me. I'd stick with the V-10.

ken
Old 07-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
No 6.0L ford diesel for me. I'd stick with the V-10.

ken

x2.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #10

As a certified Senior Master Ford tech, I would own a 6.0L. I know of them well enough to understand the maintenance that a diesel needs and some of the weak spots. The internet is full of theories and myths. For example, the link posted above is partially correct but a lot of misinformation also. Before I purchased my motorhome I was looking at getting a 5th wheel and a used Superduty with a 6.0L. But do to storage and insurance, I decided to stick with a motorhome. However, as you have stated, the trucks in the northern states can get quite rusted due to the salt. I would be looking at one in a lower state. But, if I had the V10 truck already, I would not be in a hurry to sell that truck and buy another. You know your truck and buying a truck with over 100K can be risky unless the owner has detailed maint records. Any truck with out proper maint will not likely give you reliable service. It is not uncommon to see 200-300K on these trucks come in for service with only minor repairs or maint required.

However, if a 6.7L superduty is in the budget, that is certainly the way go. Havent met a dissatisfied owner yet.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
And why did Ford spend in Excess of $20MM for warranty repairs on these trucks, the first 2 years...between engine repairs and repurchase of trucks.

My diesel mechanic says he can make the 6.0L into a good engine...takes a total rebuild and about $8K.

There us a reason the resale/used market has these trucks priced so cheaply.

Everyone I knew that had a 6.0L diesel had problems with them. My old 7.3L just kept on running and no visits to the Ford shop.

Ken
Old 07-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
And why did Ford spend in Excess of $20MM for warranty repairs on these trucks, the first 2 years...between engine repairs and repurchase of trucks.

My diesel mechanic says he can make the 6.0L into a good engine...takes a total rebuild and about $8K.

There us a reason the resale/used market has these trucks priced so cheaply.

Ken
I do not know exactly what was spent in warranty repairs but how many are in the market? These trucks outsold any other make out there and likely combined. Im not saying that there were some issues but many of them were a learning curve do the soccer moms using these trucks and excursions as daily drivers. The issue with that is the EGT is not high enough to burn off the soot from the EGR valves. This was probably the biggest issues. If you work the truck like a truck, you will not have hardly any issues. Many ambulances had EGR issues to the long idle times they are subject to. I believe there was a lawsuit for that and extended warranty on the engine and emission controls.

Your diesel mechanic is an idiot. He obviously does not know enough if that's what he says. We have transit companies here that have hundreds of Econolines with the 6.0L. They never see highway driving. All heavy city. The biggest issue with those vans is the aftermarket A/C not holding up. 200-300K of stop and go city driving with very little down time speaks for itself.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #13

I can tell you our local ambulance service here in my town in nc had three ambulance with ford 6.0 diesels and for two years had at least 2 of the 3 in the shop at any one time. Had to use the last 3 ambulance ( with 7.3 motors) as backup pretty much full time. They scrapped ford and went gm because of the problems. This was all stated in the local newspaper.
Chad
Old 07-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #14

James, you make an excellent point. 100k plus miles on an unknown truck can be a crapshoot. My '99 is cleaner than most of the trucks i've looked at. I'm not in any hurry to sell the old'gal as she's in great condition and 100% reliable.

Also, from what i have read, for Ford, the 6.7l is the engine to get. I was looking for honest opinions on the 6.0 and with everything i have read on both the 6.0 and 6.4, i am hesitant to sell my older v10.

Thanks.