Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #1

v10 vs 6.0l for towing trailer?

I am looking at either a 2004 f350 v10 with 84xxx miles or a 2005 f350 6.0L with about the same mileage for a tow vehicle. Which would be better? Both are crew cab long box srw.
jcarpenter08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #2

The V10 engine would likely be the most bullet proof because that V10 is pretty robust. The 4R100 transmission has a very good track record but not as good as the torqshift 5 that is with the 6.0L. The 6.0L can be really reliable but it may take some money to get it there. The biggest issue is the coolant. Ford stated 100K on the coolant but that really is not so. The coolant will break down and clog the oil cooler. This in turn will cause the EGR cooler to over heat and fail. To test for a plugged oil cooler a scan tool will be needed and you will need to monitor ECT and EOT under heavy load. If you are over 15F, then the coolers will need to be replaced. Many people delete the EGR cooler if they do not have emissions testing. Using a coolant like CAT ELC or other coolant made for over the road trucks will help eliminate the plugged cooler issue.

Another weak point is the high pressure connector at the pump. The parts are pretty cheap but labor intensive, around 8 hours. Not all have the issue with the connector but many do. I would check the warranty history to see if it has been replaced. If so, you are golden.

Head gasket leaks can occur but are most common with tuned up trucks. Not all but most. Have seen a few stock trucks with head gasket issues. But also seen issues with Duramax and Cummins head gaskets also.

Oil changes are also a big must. The injectors are prone to sticktion with poor maintenance records. Not only mileage but engine hours. That counts to. There have been many injector issues taken care of with an oil additive called HotShot. It appears that they worked with International specifically for the 6.0L to prevent replacing injectors that could be cleaned with this additive.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #3

I believe the 2004 V10 is the 2-valve model--you should be looking for an '05 or later with the 3-valve configuration. More horsepower.
The 6.0L will pull the load much better, but can be problematic--an '07 6.0L would be the best of that engine model.

Check at thedieselstop.com for the 6.0L forums and find out more than you will ever think possible about that engine. There is also a V10 forum.
You might chech www.fte.com also for more Ford info.

I previously owned a 2002 V10 and it did well for me, just drank gas badly. Moved up to an '04 6.0 that did well til 124000 miles, then imploded. Got an '07 that lasted til I needed the 450 I have now.

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #4

A quick example is my sister 05 F250 with a 6.0L. It currently has 225K on the clock. Original turbo, injectors, head gaskets, transmission. The EGR cooler lasted 195K. It has been pretty trouble free for a truck that pulls a 7 place horse trailer with living quarters pretty much full time.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #5

I will make sure to check out the history of the 6.0L very thoroughly. I know the 6.4L can pull more but if I found an extended cab 6.4 L for about the same price would this be the wiser choice? I know the 6.4L is known bad gas mileage but that is not of a concern for me as it is a truck not a hybrid.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
6.0L PSD has had a lot of problems. I would pass on one unless it has had all the modes made to fix it so it will hold together.

The V-10 has a good service record. Friend has one with over 200K miles and still towing fine.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #7

If you want, send me the Vin and I will check warranty history. That should help to determine what ford paid in repairs.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #8

I have a '99 with the v10. 111k miles and haven't had any real problems. I tow a 30' 5th wheel.
fishinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #9

We have a 2006 F350 King Ranch, crew cab, 8' bed dually that just crossed over 50K miles. We pull a 2012 Montana 3750FL. The truck tows beautifully, handles the Montana's 15,740 GVWR just fine and we get 12 MPG on a flat tow. Drops to 9-10 MPG in the hills/mountains. All that has been said previously about the 6.0 International engine is true. Fortunately, when we bought ours about 1 1/2 years ago, we also bought a Ford extended warranty. It has now paid for itself many times over. If we did not have the ESP, I would be spitting nails, for sure. With it, we are hoping that anything else that wants to go wrong does so in the next three years. Routine engine maintenance is the BIG thing. If the truck you are considering has believable service records that document factory scheduled services have been performed, that's a comfort level. If you are buying from a dealer, inquire about the availability and cost of a Ford ESP. My Ford truck fleet center never bats an eye and so far they have replaced: alternator, a/c compressor, front wheel bearings, EGR cooler, oil cooler, turbo, head bolts, head gasket and repaired a coolant leak at the EGR cooler. Ford is into our truck well over $10K and I'm out of pocket $300 (plus the ESP cost, of course). The truck purrs now and we expect many 10,000's of miles of service life.
Thereugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:36 AM   #10

Do not buy a low mileage 6.0L Ford. Most higher mileage trucks have been repaired properly away from the dealership. These trucks were build to work hard. The trucks above year 04 can haul hug trailers with great economy compared to the 6.4.
For me I will keep mine for a long time.
All trouble for 6.0L,s are those that idle a lot and lower miles travelled. Turbos get dirty, coolent never flushed properly and EGR also get plugged. Injectors stick.
When I start mine it gets warmed up and driven hard. And I have mine programed with what I feel is best for towing using the Max Energy by Hypertech for over 6 years.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I would take jamesrxx951 up on his offer. Also his history on the 6.0L is pretty accurate.
I had an '04 SD 250 V10 and the mpg was 10 period. Didn't make a difference if empty or loaded.
I had a '05 SD 250 6.0L and got 17 empty and 11 towing 14k 5th wheeler.

If the diesel passes on all inquiries / inspections, I wouldn't be afraid of it.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #12

Are you sold on Ford for some reason? The V10 would probably be fine. I would pass on a 6.0. There are other diesels out there without all the potential problems. Even with some kind of warranty, who wants their truck in the shop all the time regardless of who's paying the bill.
The '03 F350 6.0 I drive for work starts hard, idles rough, has no power, and pukes coolant pulling an empty trailer on a cool day.
My personal '05 Chevy Duramax is so smooth, quiet, and powerful by comparison I'm amazed Ford sold any of their trucks.
The Cummins 5.9 Liter from similar years as your looking at was also a solid engine.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #13

Not an owner, but hope to be. The 6.0 scares the %#&%! out of me, but fixed properly (head bolts, etc.) can be a good engine.
Why SRW? A big trailer is a lot more comfortable with a DRW.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #14

"Are you sold on Ford for some reason?"
I like the Ford in looks and interior. I am sure like many diesel owners I would love that perfect truck with an allision transmission, Cummins engine and a ford body. Also there are very few Chevy and dodge trucks in my price range in my area up to 150 miles out.

I am not set on a trailer yet as my wife and I are still looking for one that will fit us and our three sons under the age of 10 the best. We are open to a srw or a drw. The truck will used likely as my daily driver so a srw would be better but both will work.