Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Vehicle Cameras

I know most vehicles come with back-up cameras and some are coming with front vision as well. If us folks with older model trucks having aftermarket cameras installed, will it help with insurance benefits? I gust bought one with built in GPS. shows speed too. Has 170 degree vision. I mounted it on the windshield behind where the rear view mirror is. Another question, will it help out in court if in a accident where it shows what happened? Just things i would like to know. Maybe others too...
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2018, 02:40 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dash cam is always a good idea in my opinion. Should put a waterproof one in the back of the rig as well, can never have too much coverage when things go bad.
Insurance discount - probably not.
Evidence in an accident - most definitely, but you have to ensure that the date and time stamp is correct on the camera, otherwise the opposite party's lawyer may be able to get the video thrown out on a technicality if it goes that far.
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #3

I called my insurance and asked and they don't discount dash camera. But o have heard some do so contact your insurance and ask. Worse answer you get is no.
Dan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It may help the other party also if you were in the wrong.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:14 AM   #5

I have a camera and if I was in the wrong, I dont know if I have a camera anymore lol. In sure my insurance wouldnt wamt me to present to the officer that I have a camera if I knew I was in the wrong. Insurance may drop you
Dan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:24 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have yet to hear of an insurance provider offering a discount for a dash camera but it can be a double edge sword.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:18 PM   #7

To me, the back-up cameras are great. Makes hooking up trailers very easy. Also in day to day driving I use it everytime I back up.

What is really an added benefit is the back-up camera is in back and can actually see better than I can if backing out of a parking space.

A dash cam is on my list of things to get. After I get a waterproof goPro and then a drone with a camera.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:59 AM   #8

My dash cam came with a second camera for the back. I mounted it to the front in the grill instead to eliminate the blind spot on my F350 when parking head on to other vehicles, posts, etc.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera