Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2015, 07:24 AM   #1

Vehicle/capacity

We are new/first time owners of a hard side trailer - 2015 Jayco Jay Feather X23B - about 4200 lbs. We have a 2015 Ford Explorer w/towing. The trailer tows great. The towing capacity is 5000. We expect to stay within that capacity, but wondering if pulling at 5000 lbs is reasonable - or should we trade in the Explorer for a pickup. (which we do not want)
bugspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 07:53 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If it was me, I would trade up. That is too close to the max for me.

Happy Camping!
Old 04-30-2015, 09:01 AM   #3

You are stretching the capability of control. Towing it down the road is not the question. Braking, transmission longevity, and sway control will be the issue.

You don't have to get a pickup truck, but an Expedition or similar truck-based large SUV might serve you well for that trailer.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The new Explorer with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine is on my shopping list for my next "car". But I won't be towing with it. I'll use my F-150 with EcoBoost engine for towing my 5,000-pound TT.

Your Explorer is rated to tow up to 5,000 pounds with a weight-distributing hitch, PROVIDED you have the optional heavy duty towing package AND your don't exceed any of the other weight ratings of your crossover SUV. Your most likely problem is exceeding the GVWR of the Explorer.

And you are hiding facts from yourself. That trailer has GVWR of 4,950, with very little cargo carrying capacity.
2015 Jay Feather Ultra Lite X23B | Jayco, Inc.
So you can bet it's going to weigh close to 4,900 pounds when wet and loaded for a camping trip. Ideal tongue weight for that trailer will be 12% of gross trailer weight, so when loaded to 4,900 pounds trailer weight you can expect about 588 pounds of tongue weight.

If you don't want to be overloaded, then here's the drill.

1> load the Explorer with all your family, pets, coolers, suitcases and anything else that might be in the SUV when towing, along with the installed head of your weight-distributing (WD) hitch. Yes, a WD hitch is mandatory for two reasons. One, it's required by Ford to tow more than 2,000 pounds with your Explorer. Two, it's required because your receiver hitch is probably rated a lot less than 588 pounds of tongue weight without a WD hitch.

2> Drive to a truckstop that has a CAT scale and fill up with gas.

3> Weigh the wet and loaded SUV, including driver, passengers, pets, and everything else.

4> Subtract the weight of the SUV from the GVWR of the SUV, and the answer is the maximum hitch weight you can have without being overloaded. If that max hitch weight is less than 588 pounds, then you don't have enough tow vehicle for that trailer along with your family and stuff.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote