Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

VW Touareg and WD/ anti-sway

Hi folks this is my first attempt at asking a question about my TV. I have a 2010 Touareg TDI rated at 7700TW &770 on tongue. VW states DO NOT USE W/D hitch.I plan to purchase a 23 ft. TT approx. 3800lbs. 380 TW. If in fact w/d hitch is not requirered I would still like anti-sway is there a product for anti-sway without W/D . Any one have any thoughts on this. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by shackman View Post
Hi folks this is my first attempt at asking a question about my TV. I have a 2010 Touareg TDI rated at 7700TW &770 on tongue. VW states DO NOT USE W/D hitch.I plan to purchase a 23 ft. TT approx. 3800lbs. 380 TW. If in fact w/d hitch is not requirered I would still like anti-sway is there a product for anti-sway without W/D . Any one have any thoughts on this. Thanks
I would check with VW first to see if there is a "tow kit" available for your Touareg. We have a 2012 Tiguan and there is a specific tow kit for the vehicle (used the same kit on our 2010 Tiguan also). The towing kit is plug and play in the vehicle and has a 7 pin harness to tie into a braked trailer.

In addition to the braked trailer tie in, it also adds stability control when towing, bulb out notification and trailer anti-theft.

This is the OEM kit for the Tiguan Electrical Kit for Trailer Hitch Installation - Deutsche Auto Parts - Volkswagen and Audi Parts Supplier - Online Discounted Parts Store I'm not sure if the Touareg offers the same part, or already has it built in

2Labs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a link from a Touareg forum talking about a factory kit Factory Tow Package Benefits versus After-market - Club Touareg Forums
2Labs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #4

Quote:
2" reciever hitch? If so, in another thread (here; Without Wgt Distrb Bars ) SmokeyWren shows a hitch adapter set up to accept a friction type sway control bar. Wouldn't hurt and I'd use it on any TT over 16' long that didn't require weight distribution if I were towing with a short wheel base vehicle.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:10 AM   #5

Touareg is equipped with 2" receiver, factory installed tow package. I do not have air lift option,VW states if I stay within weight limits W/D will not be needed? In fact in manual it states if W/D hitch is used it could cause it to break away from vehicle. Have not tried lowering any 380# on hitch yet but will be pleasantly surprized if front end does not lift.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
While 380# is about average for a 22' tt, that 380# will easily push to 500#. When we had our 24" tt (hybrid) it was 320# dry hitch and about 450# wet. We used just a friction sway control, with no W/D. Yes, we were not towing level.

Our new tt 550# dry hitch we went with a W/D hitch. In hindsight, we should have added the W/D for the previous tt. We tow with a v-8 powered Toyota 4Runner and trailer a tow vehicle are towing level. Also improves sway much more than just having the friction sway control only.

Your Touareg might be even a shorter wheelbased TV. A W/D hitch would really help in keeping you level and to help sway, especially in a rather short wheelbase TV.

Just wonder why VW would not want a W/D used. What would a person do if they had a heavy hitch weighted tt in the 600-700# range.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #7

I agree with you, I find it hard to understand that VW would produce a vehicle and advertise its great tow capabilities and then say don't use W/D. I can see T/W creeping up to 500# range as well. Can't see putting 7700#and 770.# on tongue without W/D . Touareg is built somewhat like myself short and stocky.but with approx. 25ft out back I think it would be foolish to not have anti-sway .
Old 10-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I would call VW and ask for the tech dept to see exactly why no W/D can be used. There has to be a good reason...

Or try calling Etrailer.com or Reese-Hitches.com I used Reese to buy my W/D and they were very helpful in explaining what I needed. They have been in the towing business for many years and would know why.

The Touareg was a TV I was thinking about, but come to find they were out of my price range...Ended up ordering a Tundra yesterday.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #9

Not Needed

Depending on your options. Air suspension is amazing.
My TT is 26' long and I use nothing. No issues at all.
Have also towed a little boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.jpg
Views:	1745
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	48683  
Old 10-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #10

Have tried to find out reason for the DO NOT USE W/D warning from VW and dealer, only reply is : its not required . And as for the price , your right they are high, I was able to land a 2010 TDI with tow and sport package ( more ridged suspension) winter tires and rims, roof racks and trailer mirrors,only had 56K on it . Seemed to be just what we were looking for.We rented a 21ft Roo,traveled from Ontario to Outer Banks NC lots of hills ,averaged 22 mpg. hope this will help offset purchase price over next few years?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #11

Quote:
. Touareg is built somewhat like myself short and stocky.but with approx. 25ft out back I think it would be foolish to not have anti-sway .

Wheelbase is the same as a Chevy Tahoe, just doesn't have the excessive overhang beyond the wheels, so the hitch is REALLY close to the rear axle. My curb weight is about 5,800lbs (more than a Suburban). Sway control is electronically integrated via the stability control program. It will brake individual corners of the car AND apply the trailer brake independently in thousandths of a second if it detects any abnormal rotation, so you never even feel it. Unlike most friction based sway systems which only try to control sway once it starts.
The Hensey style hitches are good at sway control (if you needed it), but very expensive and heavy.

Without air suspension, you may get some rear sag. With, it will completely level out. Some people I know do use WD but the concern is that it puts an unnatural load on the hitch mounting points.
Try without first if you have steel springs. Get it later if you feel the need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chestatee-20130801-00013.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	48687  
Old 10-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #12

Quote:
...averaged 22 mpg. hope this will help offset purchase price over next few years?
It will help, but what's to offset? Have you checked the sticker on pickups, much less a superduty diesel that will struggle to get half as far on a gallon? Remember also that TDIs have crazy resale value.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #13

I researched this issue extensively in the past, both from forum posts and from Andy Thomson's articles, BTW there is his article The Culture of Towing on canamrv.ca in the Hitch Hints part. It will definitely bring more clarity to the problem. European vehicles are designed to be used without WD because European trailers are very light on the hitch do they can be pulled even by a car. Sway resistance of any German SUV is considerable so in Europe sway control is not necessary; 300 lb of hitch weight is definitely not enough to upset the vehicle balance and compromise stability and handling.
On this continent hitch weight is much heavier and trailers are typically longer and higher which make them more challenging to handle.
People who started using Germans for towing real trailers, in accordance with real towing capacity of these vehicles, quickly found that vehicles will get unbalanced due to the load, and they were exceeding hitch ratings by hundreds of pounds. The attempts to use WD caused multiple hitch failures and hitch recalls in early MLs. The problem is that hitch receivers became a breaking point, they are not designed for twisting WD forces.
WV receiver is simply bolted to the unibody by 4 (8?) bolts (I forgot the diagram, sorry). Later ML receivers are better, the connection to the body is very different, more like in full frame vehicles, so WD is not prohibited, but they are still rated for only 600 lb, with or without WD.
I would not be comfortable towing my trailer without having my receiver reinforced. Period.
TDI-Minnie is getting away without WD, good for him. But his WV is unique, most people don't have locomotive engine upfront and generally, Germans prefer to have axle weight distribution of empty vehicle as close to 50/50 as possible.
Overall, there are 2 safe choices with Euro SUVs:
1. Don't tow big loads
2. Get hitch receiver reinforced.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #14

Thanks TDI Minnie for shedding some light on this subject I know that the Touareg recognizes the trailer as soon as you connect 7 pin connector. I knew it automatically changed shift pattern of tranny (IE; holds in gear longer before up shift,and recognizes down hill and braking ) Question does ESP feature also engage at time of 7 pin hook up or do you press ESP in console while towing?