Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Here is a post I found on Airstream website:

rip Report - Towing 28 foot international with TDI
We just finished a two week trip from Dallas, Texas to Canada crossing through Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado (Glacier, Yellowstone & Grand Teton Parks) on the return and the performance was, in a word: AWESOME.

The airstream was reasonably loaded with gear, food, and fresh water and the Touareg also carried twin honda 2000 generators in a Rhino Rack roof basket. The TDI put out more than enough torque to handle 8% grade ascents and decents on US89 for miles without hesitation and at a decent speed. (Easily maintained uphill speeds near the summit at 65mph with 2800 rpm after a 2-mile climb). All this and I averaged 15mph towing a full load.

My 2010 TDI is equipped:
3.6L TDI engine
Air Suspension
20" high performance, low profile wheels with big disc brakes at all four corners.
Factory Tow Package
ProPride P3 Hitch 1000# weight distribution bars
Hitch receiver reinforcement (welded bar support from receiver box to rear suspension structure) courtesy of Can-Am in London, Ontario.
Tenkonsha P3 Brake Controller (set to Large Trailer and boost at 8.0)

Assessment:
I am happy with my set up and thankful to everyone on here who provided wisdom and positive encouragement.

The rig stops straight and quickly, (even in emergency situations) is incredibly manuverable thanks to the ProPride Hitch, very stable at all speeds and on all road conditions (rough, windy, rainy, uphill, downhill), and a pleasure to drive with and without the A/S in tow. There were no "white knuckle" moments and 50 mph cross winds had little effect. For me (and my set up is NOT for everyone), I get the trailer I want and a great daily driving vehicle.

That said, I did my homework and paid to have my rig properly configured without cutting corners. Great trip, great adventure! And we're home safe and sound.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by natwwal
Apparently the hitch is designed for straight down weight, and an equalizing hitch puts some twist/torque on the hitch.
I have a Reese straight line dual cam. I have a dbl cab Tacoma and a 27' TT. I never notices until my last trip when I pulled into the campground and had the truck turned that there is a lot of twisting torque on the shank of the hitch. Say I am turned to the left. The shank is actually visibly torqued clockwise. As in the shank and rcvr have play and there are gaps on the top right and around. It has to do with the bars being tensioned higher one way when turning. My hitch is frame mounted and also tied into the bumper. My TT weighed in at 5500 off the line. I have been on 3 90+ mile one way trips and have had no problem. Slight sway with semi's but nothing that would make me stop towing.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd8bao

I have a Reese straight line dual cam. I have a dbl cab Tacoma and a 27' TT. I never notices until my last trip when I pulled into the campground and had the truck turned that there is a lot of twisting torque on the shank of the hitch. Say I am turned to the left. The shank is actually visibly torqued clockwise. As in the shank and rcvr have play and there are gaps on the top right and around. It has to do with the bars being tensioned higher one way when turning. My hitch is frame mounted and also tied into the bumper. My TT weighed in at 5500 off the line. I have been on 3 90+ mile one way trips and have had no problem. Slight sway with semi's but nothing that would make me stop towing.
PS I would love to have a TDI toureg. Good luck
Old 06-13-2017, 01:57 PM   #18

Smile

I know we're very late to this thread, but, we just got through with a 5,000+ mile maiden trip using our 2017 Touareg V6 pulling a 27' (box length, 32' from tongue to bumper) Forest River Flagstaff Super Light 27RLWS with a 6,500 dry weight. And it did extremely well!

It didn't like the mountains coming out of Sacramento into Utah, or some of those strong headwinds along the way, but, we didn't see many vehicles that did. We even saw one SUV that had caught fire on the side of the highway on its way up that very, very long mountain side!

Over that month and a half of traveling, and over 5,000 miles, we weren't the fastest vehicle. But, we certainly weren't the slowest, either. We averaged about 2,800-3,500 rpms during normal driving. Sometimes that would drop to 2,000 rpms, and sometimes it would climb to 4,300 rpms, just depending on conditions.

We definitely did the WDH with Sway Control and caught quite a bit of head and cross winds over those 5,000+ miles, and it never seemed out of control. Just took more focus. Which is what we hear EVERYONE goes through with those types of conditions.

We ended our trip by going on a canoe trip down in Missouri, on the Niangua River. Our first dry camping with our new trailer. We were even more loaded up for this trip, due to the two Honda Inverters, as well as multiple coolers, we took along for camping and the river. Leaving the NRO Campground, there is a massive dirt/gravel hill to get up to leave with (my best guess, based on mountain signs) at least a 10-20% incline. One of our fellow TT campers didn't even want to try to get their trailer up the hill with their truck, so they had one of our organizers pull it up for them, who had a larger truck than they did.

I'm extremely happy to say, we putted right up that dirt hill without a single issue! The Touareg is just a very misunderstood vehicle!

We think this is why:

It looks to be about the size of the a Chevy Equinox.

Equinox: 188″L x 73″W x 69″H, curb wt: 4,007 lbs., tow cap = 1,500 lbs.
Touareg: 189″L x 76″W x 68″H, curb wt: 4,696 lbs., tow cap = 7,716 lbs.

We got sooo many rubberneckers and "scratching their heads" looks at us on our journey. But, in the end, there were JUST as many rigs that we passed, as there were that passed us.

About the only thing we would change at this point, is that we would trade for the TDI. Compare 280 hp, 266 lb-ft. vs. 240 hp, 406 lb-ft. for the TDI, that added torque would, obviously, help out at times. Alas, we're not sure when VW will be selling those again, anytime soon.

Overall, we're extremely pleased with our Touareg and choice of trailer!

As always, ymmv...
Old 06-13-2017, 08:23 PM   #19

agree. as a weekender towing a 25' Airstream over rather short distances, the Touareg TDI worked well for me. overall, it's an excellent machine. I did miss not having towing mirrors. but for steady use over long distances, I find a pickup to be a more practical TV for many reasons: higher towing, cargo space, mirrors, fuel capacity, lower sticker price, etc.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:33 PM   #20

We have one at work as a crew car. I've driven it quite a bit and I would never tow anything with it. It's a mid size suv at best with stability issues that my wife's Trax puts to shame. I've towed with a 04 envoy that handled far better and feel far safer with 5k behind that then driving empty with the VW. This is just my 2 cents.

Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland