Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by logsend View Post
The Jim's win for the most helpful info I've gotten since I started this pursuit! Thank you SO much for the replies. Since the truck will be a DD and parking at work and at home are needed a 1 ton isn't all too practical. It would make parking at work and at home near impossible, money isn't the reason for not wanting it. Now a SRW might fit the bill, if it will fit the being a dd, the garage and a parking space at work. The fifth wheel we were looking at was a Lifestyle with a weight of 16620, that put the pin weight at 3324 if my math is right. More research now with more reference sources!

Again, many thanks.
For estimating purposes using .2 may be on the light side. Common practice is using from .2 to .25 for pin weight. Then you have to add 150 - 200 for the hitch.

That means the difference between the RGAWR and the loaded rear axle weight (truck, you, DW, full fuel, all the extras you plan to carry in the truck will have to be a minimum of 3474.

As well the difference between the GVWR and the loaded weight of the truck will have to be a minimum of 3474.

I have not been following the ratings on the more recent trucks however I believe you will be in the 350/3500 size to achieve the necessary weights.

At that size for the RV there will be some concern with stability and a dual rear wheel will definitely be a better option. You may be farther ahead to buy a good second hand dually to tow the trailer and a small car for a dd.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #30

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Yeah, what Smokey said...in my research also found out that the difference in price for a SRW 350 was a very small increase in price over the 250. My daily driver work truck for several years was a 4x4 one ton dually with a utility bed, and had no problem maneuvering it around. But these days, a SRW would be fine for myself, my DW, and our two pooches. But, no intention to full time, I grew up living in trailers following the construction industry, much prefer sticks and bricks for a home. YMMV!

Cheers!
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:02 AM   #31

I am the OP a HER not a him btw

As for SRW/DRW Dh doesn't want to drive one for a DD. PERIOD. It's not money, it's not got anything to do with drive thru windows, or being afraid of main st. USA. Since it will be his primary ride, that's his call to make. My primary ride is a Jeep Wrangler and that was my call to make and I respect his choice just like he respected mine.

So that ends that discussion and takes the Lifestyle out of the equation.

He'll figure out what truck he wants and we will go from there on the fifth wheel and if it comes down to not being able to get a fifth wheel we want to go with the truck he got, we can always look at a DP and tow the Jeep
logsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:18 AM   #32

Real world numbers.

Info on our 2013 F350-DRW 2wd and Brookstone 354TS.

====350 Ratings===Without Trailer== With Trailer
GAW-F ==5,250.======4,500==============4,540.
GAW-R ==9,650.======4,000==============7,340.
TRLR===15,500.========================11,240. axles 2x7000
TRLR===15,500.========================14,580. total
GCWR===30,500.========================23,120.
GVWr===14,000.========================11,880.
CCC=====6,151
PIN======3,340

Truck and trailer loaded with fuel, water 2/3 full (about 55 gal).

That puts my pin at 22.9% of total trailer weight wet. About 2% heavier than dry.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #33

LA Gulf Coast Campers
I have had 5th wheels (2) and I have had TT. A properly rigged TT/Truck combination has some advantages. Look at them before rushing into a fifth.

1) TT has lower height. Wind resistance of fifth costs more to pull, regardless the TV.
2) TT has less weight for the same floor plan functionality.
3) With less weight, especially in the all aluminum ultra light models, you can buy a less costly truck that is more comfortable in daily drive mode.
5) A fifth is a bit easier to backup, but only slightly and has the drawback of the huge pin weight. A fifth gives shorter overall length, but requires a longer bed truck or sliding hitch to not crush the cab on tight turns.
6) With a travel trailer in tow you have the storage space of the truck bed available. We put a cap on to haul and lock lots of light weight stuff.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A 5th cheats more on corners. But lets not turn this into a TT vs 5th as there are many threads about that. I respect the 5th's and with more money I would consider one. My 31Ft tt gives me a 51 foot package and a 5th with the same room would probably cut 6 feet off that, but add 3K pounds. For some reason the Mfg's seem to put more quality in the 5th's over the TT's.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #35

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
A 5th cheats more on corners. But lets not turn this into a TT vs 5th as there are many threads about that. I respect the 5th's and with more money I would consider one. My 31Ft tt gives me a 51 foot package and a 5th with the same room would probably cut 6 feet off that, but add 3K pounds. For some reason the Mfg's seem to put more quality in the 5th's over the TT's.
Highway, the frame costs more to build on a fifth because of the two 90 degree angles that have to be super strong. Now, since the frame is stronger, a fifth can carry more.

Since a fifth carries more, it has a larger pin weight. The balance point is way forward. This makes it drive a bit easier.

Like I said, I have had them all, and as far as bang for the buck, the ultra light TT with lighter truck is good value and a good rig.