Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #1

Want a New Truck. Want a New RV. Now My Head Hurts..

It seemed simple, but it's not..

We wanted to plan this all out. We want a new truck to use as a daily driver so gas milage is a factor and being able to park it not only at work but in garage is too. That eliminates a dualy.

So thought 3/4 ton, GMC or Ram would be good choice, but it seems that if we follow the charts and forms online that we can't hardly pull a couple of cows much less a big ol fifth wheel..

How the heck does one figure out what they can actually tow when they don't have the exact numbers????

My head hurts...
logsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #2

You buy the camper then the truck.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #3

Retired Fire Service RVer's
So, how about a one ton SRW, might get you a bit more hitch pin weight capacity...?

Or start looking at the "so-called", "half ton" fifth wheels...

Good luck

PS. Can't point you to a specific thread, but have seen more than a few dealing with very similar question...how much weight can I tow safely with a truck of X size? Originally I thought an F150 could do what I wanted, then after reading a bunch here, and using online u-build it tools, discovered that to get a capable 150 it took so many factory ordered options that a 250 (standard trim) had much better capacity for literally a few hundred bucks more. Then discovered that bumping up to a 350 was an even smaller financial bump. YMMV
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #4

I'm in a similar situation where I need to trade my Chevy 1500 for a heavier truck before I buy a different (used) RV. I looked at the towing guides and payload charts and determined that a late model 3/4 truck will pull the majority of TT and some 5ers, and a one tom SRW will pull about any TT plus any smaller 5er that I would conceivably be interested in. Like you I don't want a dually due to size and suitability as a daily driver.

Anyway, after reviewing towing and payload ratings for all 3 brands for 2008 and newer, I'm searching for a SRW one ton used truck 2008 or newer from any of the brands - as long as I stick to that I will be able to pull whatever camper I buy next. In reality many of the 3/4 ton trucks would probably pull my next camper, but by only looking at one ton it makes it dead simple to get enough payload capability without worrying over axle ratios and minutia like whether the installed optional subwoofer is going to put me over the rear axle weight rating.
archsnuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Hi there & welcome to iRV2. You'll get a lot of opinions here.

If you're wanting truck gas mileage & size to be the main factor, then you'll have to throw out wanting a "big ol" 5-r. Bigger doesn't equate to better. There are plenty of very nice, roomy smaller 5-r's you can safely tow with a 3/4t truck. Just be willing to do your homework & don't let the RV salesperson talk you into more than your truck can handle.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #6

Honestly, I don't understand the 3/4 ton interest. For 1.8% of your price for the truck, you can go from a 3/4 to a 1 ton. Get the extra leafs, etc that come with it and be done with it. If you can't afford a 1 ton, you can't afford a 3/4.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Asprin or Tylenol?? Best of luck on your search and decision. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #8

Yes you will get a lot of opinions and opinions. I try deal in facts and use a PDF from Ram called the Ram Body Builders Guide for Ram trucks. This will provide the information that you will need to make an informed decision with. Here is the link: http://www.rambodybuilder.com/year.pdf

Depending on year the difference between a 1 ton SRW truck and a 3/4 ton truck was just an extra leaf spring; such as 2008 and up to 2012. In 2013.5 Ram went and changed up the playing field added DEF to the trucks also with a different frame and suspension components between the two trucks. In 2014 the 3/4 ton truck and 1 ton share the same frame but suspension components are different. Got That???

So you can click on the model year then than style and then under technical information you will find Base weight/GCW/Payload/Trailer tow click this; you will then need to click 2500/3500 model and then cab style. I know this is a lot of clicks to get the information but this will provide the most accurate numbers. The most important numbers you should not exceed is the GCWR and the AXLE weight ratings for any truck.

As an example a 2014 3500 Crew Cab long box 4X4 truck with a Cummins diesel and the AISIN 6 speed auto the GCRW for this truck is 25,000 LBS; the axle ratings, rear are 7,000 LBS and the front is 6,000 LBS with a max trailer equipment weight of 16,880 LBS; this depends on trim level of the truck.

Now to me that means you could pull approximately a14,000 GVW trailer. A truck weight of approximately 8,500 LBS and a 14,000 LBS trailer will not exceed the 25,000 GCWR of the 1 ton SRW truck.

Hope this helps?

Jim W.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #9

The Dodge/Ram Body Builders Guide is the only way to go with towing and hauling specs fore the Ram as it gives separate towing specs/payloads for each package. Learn to use it and become familiar with it as its as close as we can get for what we need.

For the GM use this GM Online Order / Reference Guide .
Follow the guide to GM weights calculator which will give you the trucks actual payloads/tow ratings for the base weight and all added options for that particular truck. It also give FAWR/RAWR and GVWR numbers for each truck. Great website once you learn how to use its features.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #10

Want a New Truck. Want a New RV. Now My Head Hurts..

Every manufacturer has the specs on their website. I was towing our 24' TT (not a lite or ultra lite ) with a Chevy Tahoe. One round trip to Zion NP from Las Vegas was all it took for me to know that even though it had the tow haul package, etc., I wanted more power up hills than the gas engine provided, and I SURE knew I wanted a longer wheelbase to help with sway. I have a 2015 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax / Allison crew cab short bed on order. Same PULLING power as in 1 ton, even dually. I knew it will be overkill for pulling the TT but I would rather have too much, than not enough. We may upgrade to a smaller 5th wheel later, and I will just have to stay within the pin weight to not be over the payload rating. It is just the two of us and I have NO need for a monster size 5th wheel. Each step up to either 1 ton or 1 ton dually will give you increased payload and gross vehicle weight capacity. You just have to think ahead and hope to get at least as much truck as you will need and hopefully more. Downside to my purchase is that my Tahoe will fit into my garage lengthwise but the truck won't. Sooooo, I I have already spent $2,000.00 on a metal carport to keep the brutal NV sun off it when it comes. Nobody said RVing was cheap nor always simple and easy, haaaa. Regarding some comments about getting a 1 ton for not much more money, I wanted to order mine the way I wanted, and don't ask me why Chevy will let you get some things and not others on different trucks. Good luck with it.
BigBill3111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:52 AM   #11

The Jim's win for the most helpful info I've gotten since I started this pursuit! Thank you SO much for the replies. Since the truck will be a DD and parking at work and at home are needed a 1 ton isn't all too practical. It would make parking at work and at home near impossible, money isn't the reason for not wanting it. Now a SRW might fit the bill, if it will fit the being a dd, the garage and a parking space at work. The fifth wheel we were looking at was a Lifestyle with a weight of 16620, that put the pin weight at 3324 if my math is right. More research now with more reference sources!

Again, many thanks.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
logsend,
With that trailer, you are looking at dually territory to stay within the manufacturers ratings. Even a SWR 1 ton is going to be over its GVWR with that much pin weight. My dually weighs in at 8000# loaded, and am over 11000# with my 16,400# 5er hooked up. It is an 03 and 2wd. the newer pickups are heavier, plus 4wd is even heavier. The Fords weigh in over 8000# with no hitch or passengers, and approach 9000# ready to travel, that leaves less than 3000# for pin weight on a 1 ton SWR, the Dodges are a little lighter, and the GMs are about 1000# lighter than the Fords, but you will still be over your GVWR of all 3 with the SWR. A 3/4 ton is out of the question, way overloaded with that trailer. The SWR 1 ton and the same body style 3/4 ton are the same size, the difference is in the wheels, tires and suspension, not the bodies.
The choice is yours, a bigger truck to stay within specs, or a lighter trailer. Also you didn't say if the weight given was the empty weight or the GVWR of the trailer, I would guess that the weight you gave was the empty weight and that the GVWR is some were around 18,000# with a pin weight of between 3600 and 4000#, which is at the top side of a dually capacity and is approaching MDT territory.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:37 AM   #13

No that was the total GVWR for that trailer. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
logsend,
Then you will be good for any make 1 ton, but you will need a dually to stay within the specs. I am full timing and the dually is no problem as a daily driver, you just have to park a little further out in parking lots, and most drive-thrus you won't fit. A good rule of thumb is, if the mirrors fit, the hips will fit. Also, the comfort level while towing is unbelievable compared to a SWR truck.
I am not trying to talk you into a DWR truck, just stating the facts, I tow a similar weight trailer and know from personal experience.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote