Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2006, 06:27 AM   #1

Hello, bare with me its kinda of a long post

I'm currently in the markert for a travel trailer.
So far I like the Trail Cruiser TS30BQSS.

The only problem I have is a have a 1/2 suburban 4x4.
5.7 motor
It does have a tow package with a 3.73
And according to the book can tow 6500lbs.

I'm pretty much need to keep this suburban, so trading up isn't an option at this time.

I have been told to stay under 80% of this weight and I would be in good shape. which would be 5200lbs.

The max this trailer can handle is 6027
The weight dry is 4439.
Hitch weight 431 pounds (sounds lite to me)

Seeing as I wouldn't pull this with water, I think I should be in good shape.
The trailer would probably only be used 2 weeks out of the year.
One long trip to Myrtle beach from Ohio.
And maybe once everyother year to Gatlinburg.

Suggestions or comments would be greatly be appreciated.

Also wanting advice on hitches too.
Hensley sounds wounderful until the price.

Thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2006, 06:27 AM   #2

Hello, bare with me its kinda of a long post

I'm currently in the markert for a travel trailer.
So far I like the Trail Cruiser TS30BQSS.

The only problem I have is a have a 1/2 suburban 4x4.
5.7 motor
It does have a tow package with a 3.73
And according to the book can tow 6500lbs.

I'm pretty much need to keep this suburban, so trading up isn't an option at this time.

I have been told to stay under 80% of this weight and I would be in good shape. which would be 5200lbs.

The max this trailer can handle is 6027
The weight dry is 4439.
Hitch weight 431 pounds (sounds lite to me)

Seeing as I wouldn't pull this with water, I think I should be in good shape.
The trailer would probably only be used 2 weeks out of the year.
One long trip to Myrtle beach from Ohio.
And maybe once everyother year to Gatlinburg.

Suggestions or comments would be greatly be appreciated.

Also wanting advice on hitches too.
Hensley sounds wounderful until the price.

Thanks in advance

Old 11-03-2006, 09:29 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What year is your Burb? if it is 1996 or later, you should have a CGWR of 12,000lbs (based on the drivetrain) I have a Tahoe with the same drive train - I tow a 24ft Arctic Fox that comes in at 5700 lbs w/o water. On the flat I can do 65-70 with ease. On the hills I get down to 45-55 in 2od pulling 3500-4000RPM. I am just at the top end of the CGWR. I have an EazLift hitch with 1000lb bars (750 would have probably worked but overkill is not a problem) A longer TT would probably require a sway control like the Eaz Lift Dual Cam unit. As far as the construction of the Trail Crusier (and other ultralightweights) Most of them have no studs and are comprised of a bonded sandwich of Filon, styrofoam, and luan. An aluminium frame is wrapped around the top of the side walls. Frankly having owned one of these units I was very happy to get back to a full framed unit.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:16 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Our first trailer was a 30 ft Trail Lite and my 1/2 GMC did just fine with it. It had the 5.3 motor 373 gears 4X4. My only problem was the shower way too small for me.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #5

Guess the year of the suburban would probably help...sorry about that its a 99
Old 11-06-2006, 09:03 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The longer wheelbase on the Burb (compared to my Tahoe) will help to make a longer TT feel better behind you. However the extra weight of the Burb over the Tahoe will mean that you can haul less since the CGWR for both of our rigs is the same 12,000lbs. Even though it sounds like you are only going to be on the road a couple of times a year, they sound like long trips where you want to keep white knuckles to a minimium. I therefore strongly recommend that you keep your overall weight in the 9000 - 10,000 lb range. Beware of listed weights in all TTs, as they usually are for a stripped down unit - you need to add the weights of any options - and while you are at it don't forget the LPG tanks and batteries (around 200 lbs) Read the fine print on the TT brochures - between the actual weight of the TT and options your NCC may be much much less than published. If you can find a unit on the lot - ask if they will take it to a scale before you buy it.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:53 PM   #7

Sounds like your vehicle will do the job, our xuv with cold air intake is approx 295 hp, 373 rear end and auto ride air susp. The hi -lo 22 foot is approx 4klbs. Our max tow rating is approx 6klbs Although you have technically a bigger truck I would warn you in strong cross winds you will feel it, as well as long grades.

The biggest thing to know is having the sway under control and the unit not overloaded in the rear of the trailer. Invest in good sway control and weight dist and take your time. Tow out of overdrive at all times/ and most of all have fun.

2004 GMC XUV
rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:18 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It is hard to compare a HI-LO or Trail Mannor with a full sized TT when it comes towing down the road. The lower wind drag on these units makes a huge difference in fuel mileage and the amount of HP required to keep it moving down the road. They are also better in head and side wind conditions. However at low speeds or when climbing a hill 4000 lbs is still 4000 lbs.