Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2016, 09:27 AM   #1

Wanting to downsize

Life changes have me ready to downsize.

I have been out of the little truck market for 15 years. How do the new small trucks rate?

Talking about the new Chevy Canyon, New Toyota Tacoma, and any word on a new small Ford?

I looked at and liked the new F-150 2.7 litre eco-boost but a full size truck will not fit at my new address so I got to go smaller.

I will be towing no more that 4,000 lbs. Thinking I will sell my current rig and buy a small truck and teardrop trailer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2016, 02:52 PM   #2

I bought a GMC Canyon LTD 4X4 and really like it. Has all the extras. It has a 1450 lbs payload and is rated to tow 7000 lbs. It tows our 5000 lb boat easily. I sort of miss the low end torque of a V8 but the gas mileage is great. Attention to detail is really good but the cost is not much less than a full size. The diesel should make a good TV but it cost several grand more.

Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:19 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You can get a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 hemi and 8 speed trans and 4x4. For something smaller than full size it might be the nicest one. It also comes with the 3.0 Eco-diesel and 8 speed.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a Toy fan. But the Toy Taco didn't have enough guts for my use, and the Toy half-ton didn't have an engine to compete with the Ford EcoBoost. So I bought the Ford. My other car is a Toy Venza. Toy has now discontinued the Venza, so my next "car" will probably be a Highlander.

The strongest Taco (with V6 towing pkg) will be reliable and dependable if it has enough guts for your use. Consumer Reports rates the Taco as much better than average reliability. You must order the V6 towing pkg if you want to tow more than a rowboat. CrewCab Limited with V6 towing pkg specs:

6800 tow rating (About 6,000 actual max trailer weight). My Nomad 196S has GVWR of 5,600 and it's perfect for two retired folks on the road.

1,370 payload (with 780 pounds tongue weight of a 6k trailer, that leaves you just 590 pounds available payload capacity for people, pets, tools, jacks, etc. Tight as a fiddle string. Skinny driver, skinny bride, and shank+head of a good WD hitch and you're probably maxed out of payload capacity.

GCWR 11,360
Curb weight 4,230
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:03 AM   #5

I read the the T@B teardrop camper is around 1,800 lbs dry.
My friends have an Egg camper that they like but I need to ask them to see it again and looks at it real close.

From my limited research that I started yesterday seems the new Chevy / GMC Canyon is the best small truck out there.

I have some time before I need to make my switch from dually truck / 5th wheel to small truck small camper.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

2016 Colorado 2WD CrewCab shorty 3.6L V6 3.42 axle

GCWR 12,700 = 7,000 tow rating when wet and loaded truck weighs 5,700
GVWR 5,800 = miniscule payload capacity

Diesel engine available for a lot more money raises tow rating to 7,700 and GVWR to 6,200. I can't find payload capacity, but it's probably still miniscule.

Given GM's history of bankruptcy and less reliability, I would order the Taco V6 with V6 towing pkg.

My 84-year-old Sweetheart would veto the T@b camper, primarily because of lack of a real bed. When we were shopping for a new small trailer, she insisted on:

--- Walk-around queen-size bed, so she doesn't have to crawl around on the bed to make it up, and we can replace the cheap standard mattress with a quality EuroTop mattress.

--- Bathroom with separate shower so she doesn't have to sit on the pottie to bathe.

--- Roomy closet that will hold two weeks worth of clothes for long trips. Small wardrobes won't do.

--- Normal self-contained features such as hot water, AC, refrigerator, cooktop, oven.

We settled on the Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, which was discontinued recently. Replacement is the Nomad Dart 188RB,which is very similar but without our roomy closet off the bathroom. If you can get by with the "Double wardrobes in bedroom", then that one might be the one for you.
188RB - Skyline Recreational Vehicles
Old 01-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I edited the above post to add more info on our trailer, but IRV2 wouldn't allow it to be posted because more than an hour had elapsed. Stupid rule.

If your DW insists on more closet space that the RB188 has, then maybe look for a used Joey Select 196 (196S).
Skyline Nomad Joey Select 196S - Bing images

Skyline also produced the exact same trailer under brand names Layton and Aljo and something else (Mountain West?). So maybe search on Joey 196S
Old 01-25-2016, 12:56 PM   #8

Agree that the DW with good judgement will insist on a walk around bed. But it is very easy to get into trailers that will push the limits of the small trucks.

And the T@B lacks comforts.

I may be able to keep a heavy trailer 1 mile from where I want to use it. For 1 mile on county roads would you tow a 8,000lb TT? I would.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Agree that the DW with good judgement will insist on a walk around bed. But it is very easy to get into trailers that will push the limits of the small trucks.

And the T@B lacks comforts.

I may be able to keep a heavy trailer 1 mile from where I want to use it. For 1 mile on county roads would you tow a 8,000lb TT? I would.
For 1 mile on country roads, I'd pay someone to move it and get whatever trailer I wanted without consideration of the tow vehicle. Where I'm camped, plenty of people that have fifth wheels don't own a tow vehicle.