Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2006, 07:20 AM   #1

Overall I am happy with the Firestone Ride Rite rear air bags. I included the compressor kit with gauge in the cab. It has a very slow air leak that goes a little faster with a load, so I can monitor it while on a long trip. It improved the ride when towing our 33' 5er, even my wife notices the difference in the passenger seat. Doesn't rock and bounce as much. I measured the rear bumper before and after the install. At 75 or 80 psi, the rear bumper came up 4".

My only problem was with the installation. The rear springs on the F250 are at an angle to the ground. The bottom mounting base bolted on here. The top bracket got bolted on the frame paralell with the ground. This made it not even when traveling up and down. The front edge would have a longer measurement than the rear edge. The next day we left for Dumont Dunes, so I couln't have him work on it then. But brought it back as soon as we returned. He changed the spacers so the front bottom bracket is higher. It helped, but not perfect and now it doesn't line up straight up and down. Can't change the top braked because the holes are already drilled. Any help anyone? So I guess watch out for this.

[img]http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6%3DzqH%3AxxqUD7qRUrKxzX7BHpUUKx gXPol%3F87KR6xqpxQQGJxnaQxJG0xv8uOc5xQQQoeQ0PoeGoJ qpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPol%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442[/img]

sjseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2006, 07:20 AM   #2

Overall I am happy with the Firestone Ride Rite rear air bags. I included the compressor kit with gauge in the cab. It has a very slow air leak that goes a little faster with a load, so I can monitor it while on a long trip. It improved the ride when towing our 33' 5er, even my wife notices the difference in the passenger seat. Doesn't rock and bounce as much. I measured the rear bumper before and after the install. At 75 or 80 psi, the rear bumper came up 4".

My only problem was with the installation. The rear springs on the F250 are at an angle to the ground. The bottom mounting base bolted on here. The top bracket got bolted on the frame paralell with the ground. This made it not even when traveling up and down. The front edge would have a longer measurement than the rear edge. The next day we left for Dumont Dunes, so I couln't have him work on it then. But brought it back as soon as we returned. He changed the spacers so the front bottom bracket is higher. It helped, but not perfect and now it doesn't line up straight up and down. Can't change the top braked because the holes are already drilled. Any help anyone? So I guess watch out for this.

[img]http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6%3DzqH%3AxxqUD7qRUrKxzX7BHpUUKx gXPol%3F87KR6xqpxQQGJxnaQxJG0xv8uOc5xQQQoeQ0PoeGoJ qpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPol%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442[/img]

Old 09-25-2006, 12:39 PM   #3

There are a lot of lookers here. But does anyone know if this is a bad situation that I am in. Is this going to cause any damage to the truck and/or air bags?

Old 09-26-2006, 04:04 AM   #4

Did you get the right kit for your vehicle? Or a generic kit?
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:20 PM   #5

It is the Firestone Ride Rite Bags for the '04 F250 SD. Not generic. It was just installed not perfectly. That is the only problem. Will this effect anything?

Old 09-27-2006, 03:16 AM   #6

sjseng;
Why don't you move the bottom of the bag back to the rear where it was before? If the lower bracket is too high at the rear, just cut out enough to make the top and bottom brackets parallel and weld it back together. I had to do this once and it's very simple.
Good Luck, Jim
Old 09-28-2006, 07:20 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The top bracket got bolted on the frame paralell with the ground </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

when we did ours many moons aga on the 250
the two bag brakcets were moounted on the truck to be parrallel with each other, not the truck.
we attatched the spring mount then adjusted teh upper bracket so it would be even front to back then drilled the holes. is this what you did and they are still uneven?
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #8

Rob,

The company that I had install them did not line it up like you did. Wish they did. I agree from the very beginning that they should have been installed parrallel with each other. Unfortunatly, drilling new holes would not work, because thay would just elongate the ones he drilled or there would be very little frame from one hole to another.

Old 09-29-2006, 04:16 AM   #9

Sounds like you got a crappy install job. You may be stuck with it now. You might consider finding a welding shop to make new brackets that will work with the existing holes and be parallel.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote