Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2006, 07:48 AM   #1

We had just purchased a 2007 Rockwoord 8315SS and took it out this past weekend and noticed a problem with the water pump, It does not shut off all the time. Of course it is under warranty but the dealer is 75 miles away and trying to keep from having to travel back and forth for something that might be a simple fix. When listening, I can tell when the pump is running to repressure the system while and after running water. Then the pump sets into a low humming noise.There was a few times it did shut off completely. I have checked for leaks around all fixtures and the pump, no leaks. Any ideas?

MSG (Ret), US Army
Armycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2006, 07:48 AM   #2

We had just purchased a 2007 Rockwoord 8315SS and took it out this past weekend and noticed a problem with the water pump, It does not shut off all the time. Of course it is under warranty but the dealer is 75 miles away and trying to keep from having to travel back and forth for something that might be a simple fix. When listening, I can tell when the pump is running to repressure the system while and after running water. Then the pump sets into a low humming noise.There was a few times it did shut off completely. I have checked for leaks around all fixtures and the pump, no leaks. Any ideas?

MSG (Ret), US Army
Old 07-24-2006, 08:35 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Not sure if it would cause your problem but there is a check valve in the fresh water system the switched between city water and the pump. Maybe it is stuck. The porblem I once had was water exiting the city water connection when using the water pump. I supplied water pressure thru the city water connection via a garden hose and then disconnected it and the problem went way.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to check that you have sufficient level in the tank to keep a good head on the pump. Next things to check are:
Is the pump strainer clean and full of water.
Make sure you do not have a leak on the inlet side of the pump which couuld be sucking air in.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:57 AM   #5

I have filled the tank full, hooked a hose up and pressured all the lines that way. Unhooked the hose, turned the pump on and still does not shut off. Checked all fittings and nothing is lose. I think it is the check vavle in the pump it's self, so I am going to ahv eit replaces and see if that fixes the problem. Thanks for the help

MSG (Ret), US Army
Old 07-30-2006, 03:32 AM   #6

Hi Bob, This has nothing to do with your water pump situation, but thought you may be interested in S*M*A*R*T.
Now about the pump, you might disassemble the pump from the motor and closely inspect the diaphram for pinholes, small cracks, manufacturing defect, a piece of debris under a valve seat seal, etc. When we first filled our fresh water tank to sanitize it, we flushed an amazing amount of debris and dirt out of the tank. Our pump then acted strangely, so I cleaned the screen filter, attached city water and allowed all faucets to run for a long time. It must have flushed out the pump for it works fine since then.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #7

Hey Bob,

We had the same problem in our 5er on our first trip. Took it back to the dealer who replaced the pump...it still does the same thing. I believe it has to do with the equalization between hot and cold water. We just run a bit more water until the pump builds up and then shuts itself off.

I would call the dealer to at least find out if they have any suggestions before the 75 mile trip.

Good luck with it!

Wife and kid maybe friends, maybe pets, maybe not, lost look in face,
rhoevinbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 02:23 AM   #8

When my fifth wheel was 3 years old my water pump went out. The warrenty on the trailer was over. I looked at the pump, which was from Shurflo, and saw it had a 5 year warrenty on it. I called them, and in turn sent it directly to shurflo. They repaired it and sent it back. The turnaround if I remember right was about a week total. If you aren't planning on using the trailer in a week or so and are pretty sure it is the pump at fault then this might be an option. You could even contact the pump manufacturer and talk to a tech to get some advice on it also.