Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2018, 01:05 PM   #1

Wax Paper as a hitch ball lubricant

Somewhere I remember someone saying that they used wax paper as a lubricant for the hitch ball instead of grease. Has anyone else heard that or tried it. It seems like the paper would get shredded after the first turn out of the driveway. Want to get rid of using grease on the hitch ball if possible.
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2018, 02:00 PM   #2

Humm, Intetesting...I would not use wax paper but maybe I will try candle wax. I know wax can be used as a lubricant in many applications., typically zippers.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:09 AM   #3

You should use grease. Yeah its messy but that's just the way it is. Throw a rag over it when you are Un hooked.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
You should use grease. Yeah its messy but that's just the way it is. Throw a rag over it when you are Un hooked.

Or use a ball cover or plastic grocery bag, etc.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:34 AM   #5

This topic has come up before, and I learned a lot of people do not lubricate the ball at all.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
This topic has come up before, and I learned a lot of people do not lubricate the ball at all.
I never have and never had any problems. What is suppose to happen if you don't lubricate the ball?
Old 05-01-2018, 07:00 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I've never used any grease on the ball. Towed a ski boat for years that way. Now tow the Harley on a trailer. After years of non-greased towing, the ball still looks good, and has no discernible wear marks. Just never seen the need for grease. In this particular case, I think the grease solves a problem that doesn't exist.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:27 AM   #8

You "non greasers" out there could be correct. I always grease the hitch balls because ... well for the last 60+ years I have always greased them! Just never thought about it much I guess. I'll have to try it the non-greased way and see how it goes.

Another idea is using a dry lubricant such as Liquid Wrench w/Cerflon. I use this stuff a lot now days. (several other quality manufactures also sell this product)

http://www.rscbrands.com/products/prodinfo/L512.PDF
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #9

While I do not have nor have I used one there are some greaseless balls out there. I know on my drop hitch you could buy it with regular chrome looking balls or they also had a greaseless ball option. I cant remember if it was more expensive or not. It had at least in the picture a black coating on it of some sort. My old pop up trailer was the only trailer I greased the ball for as it had a hard time going all the way down and seating correctly for whatever reason and grease seemed to make it a lot easier. Other than that trailer I never have greased my hitch ball. On my fifth wheel I do use a dry lube plate instead of grease.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryG20 View Post
While I do not have nor have I used one there are some greaseless balls out there. I know on my drop hitch you could buy it with regular chrome looking balls or they also had a greaseless ball option. I cant remember if it was more expensive or not. It had at least in the picture a black coating on it of some sort. My old pop up trailer was the only trailer I greased the ball for as it had a hard time going all the way down and seating correctly for whatever reason and grease seemed to make it a lot easier. Other than that trailer I never have greased my hitch ball. On my fifth wheel I do use a dry lube plate instead of grease.
I looked into the greaseless ball but as near as I can tell the 2 5/16 ball only comes with a one inch shank. Almost all regular 2 5/16 balls have a 1 1/4" shank. For my TT weight all the ball mounts have an 1 1/4" shank so it won't work. The Andersen Rapid Hitch comes in a 2 5/16" greaseless ball but you can't use any Sway or WDH with it.
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #11

Metal to Metal (coupler to hitch ball) = Friction = Wear

Same setup, using grease = less friction = less wear!

Pretty simple really.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Never greased a ball hitch.. the old trailers sometimes needed that "extra" electrical ground to the towing rig.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Metal to Metal (coupler to hitch ball) = Friction = Wear

Same setup, using grease = less friction = less wear!

Pretty simple really.
Have you ever seen a ball wear out due to friction? I haven't yet and have some pretty old balls.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #14

I expect my trailer itself to wear out and be thrown in the scrap pile long before the coupler (or ball) ever wears out.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote