Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2015, 01:53 PM   #1

WD Hitch Recommendation

I have the unfortunate opportunity to buy a new WD hitch. Mine was stolen at a family friendly campground Saturday night.

I'm trying to look at the positive side and figure I have a chance to look at other options, the one stolen was the only one I've ever had so nothing to compare it to.

I had an Equalizer w/ 4 point. Pros for EQ are: good WD, good sway control, macro and micro adjustments possible with combo of spacers and bracket heights, no need to disconnect for backing up/sharp turns. Cons: Squeaky and dirty. Overall I've been happy with it. I feel safe. I borrowed a chain style (not sure of brand) WD hitch to get my trailer home yesterday and it had noticeably more vertical bounce, but in fairness I couldn't hook up the sway control for my short trip home. Not sure if that would have helped dampen bounce at all.

I'm sure there's a bunch of opinions out there about WD options. Has anyone used more than one type of system and have some input?

Current TV = F150 EB with Max Tow package, TR = Outback 300RB, 8500lbs loaded, tongue weight 1200 - 1300 depending on propane and water tanks.
immarkhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #2

I have the Blue Ox Swaypro for mine. I did a fair amount of research before the purchase. Got to say it doesn't get much easier to set up and use. Also not a greasy mess like the others.

2015 Keystone Bullet 230BHS
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCSB
Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
CFDfireman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #3

Evergreen Owners Club
I have the Equalizer on my 2015. Altho a little noisy I think it is the best I have had. The others used the chains. The noise does not bother me one little bit. This is the best sway control I have had and no need for the screw tightening sway bars. 65 mph with a 35 mph side wind absolutely no sway on a 34 ft travel trailer @ 10,000 lbs.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The main thing is to not buy a cheap hitch. If you can buy one for less than $500 from online discount sources, that's a cheap hitch. I would recommend one of these four in the $1,000 list price class, that you can buy complete with adjustable shank for about $550 to $650 online from Amazon.com or etrailer.com or similar source.

One is your Equal-I-Zer.

Another is the Reese Strait-Line with trunnion bars.

And the Husky Centerline.

And last but not least is the slightly more expensive Blue Ox SwayPro.

Get one of the above rated for 1,400 pounds tongue weight.

Or better but two or three times the price is the ProPride, or the older Hensley Arrow, or PullRite. But those premium priced WD no-sway hitches will cost over $2,000 each.

I now have the ProPride on my TT, and I've had years of experience with the Reese Strait-Line. I prefer the ProPride because I can adjust it to add or subtract just a tiny bit more or less tension on the spring bars. With the Strait-Line, I have to go at least one chain-link, and that's often too much change when I need to distribute only a few more or less pounds off the rear axle of the tow vehicle.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. I've been looking at the Blue Ox sway pro installation videos and reviews. I don't really see how it provides sway control. Can someone explain that?

And also reading reviews it doesn't have adjustments for the head angle. Is that just a "benefit" of the cam design?

If i go back to Equalizer I'll definitely step up to the 1400 lb. bars. I only had 1200 and they bowed some, not a lot, but could never quite get as much weight as I'd like off the back axle.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by immarkhe View Post
Thanks for the input. I've been looking at the Blue Ox sway pro installation videos and reviews. I don't really see how it provides sway control. Can someone explain that?
From etrailer.com: "Another type of active sway control can be found in the Blue Ox SwayPro weight-distribution system. This system features unique rotating brackets that are designed to take up far more slack in the lift chains than is possible with traditional weight-distribution systems. This creates a situation where the spring bars are pulled so taut that they are able to exert enough force on your trailer to effectively keep it from shifting side to side.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrailer.com
Blue Ox SwayPro Weight-Distribution System with Active Sway Control
Blue Ox SwayPro Weight Distribution
The SwayPro offers four points of built-in sway control. Within the head assembly the trunnions are designed to hold the spring bars securely in position, placing just enough tension on them to cause them to constantly force your trailer to remain in line. At the other end of this weight-distribution system, the rotating brackets ensure that the lift chains are pulled as taut as possible. This limits the movement of the spring bars so that they can exert more force on your trailer to effectively keep it from shifting side-to-side.

Perhaps the most attractive asset of the SwayPro is the rotating latch brackets. All you have to do to attach the spring bars to the trailer frame is insert the lift chain into the bracket slot and rotate the bracket with the included wrench until the lock pin engages.

Sway Control
•Active tension sway control
◦Wrap-around design of lift brackets keep chains secure and taut
◦Trunnion bars are held tightly in place to limit movement of system

Trailer Brake Compatibility
•Electric brakes
•Surge or hydraulic brakes

Head Adjustment Method
•No adjustment needed

Lift Brackets
•Rotating latch brackets

Spring Bars
•Trunnion bars only
•Steel construction

Quote:
And also reading reviews it doesn't have adjustments for the head angle. Is that just a "benefit" of the cam design?
The SwayPro is designed so that it doesn't need adjustments to the head.

Quote:
If i go back to Equalizer I'll definitely step up to the 1400 lb. bars. I only had 1200 and they bowed some, not a lot, but could never quite get as much weight as I'd like off the back axle.
If your trailer has 1,200 to 1,300 pounds of tongue weight, then you definitely need the 1,400-pound spring bars. A WD hitch should always be rated for more than the max tongue weight you might have. You can ease up on the tension on the spring bars if you have an empty trailer or different tongue weight than the hitch was designed to handle. My ProPride is rated 1,400 pounds, but it's easy to adjust the spring bars to handle the 650 pounds of my TT's tongue weight.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
I have the Equalizer on my 2015. Altho a little noisy I think it is the best I have had. The others used the chains. The noise does not bother me one little bit. This is the best sway control I have had and no need for the screw tightening sway bars. 65 mph with a 35 mph side wind absolutely no sway on a 34 ft travel trailer @ 10,000 lbs.
x2 Used to pull a 30 ft. Bullet TT and used a Equalizer with it and had
great results.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:32 PM   #8

I've been really pleased with the Blue Ox. Took about an hour to install and set up the first time.

Don't loose the wrench, or keep a socket wrench of the same size in your tool box just in case!
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #9

Been enjoying this thread, i also, am considering a new hitch. Anyone had any experience with the CURT 17500 TruTrack Trunnion Bar Weight Distribution Hitch with Active Sway Control, find the ball bearing system in the head interesting, in addition to the Equalizer style system .
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #10

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/17500
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post

Don't loose the wrench, or keep a socket wrench of the same size in your tool box just in case!
I use a socket on an 18" breaker bar; makes it a little easier if I have to put a little strain on it, or if there's still strain on it when releasing.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:07 PM   #12

Just to close out on this. I purchased a new equalizer 14000lb wd hitch. They are great solutions and had no compelling reason to get something different after all the research.

Haven't set it up yet but will let you know if its anything but sweet
Old 08-19-2015, 08:50 PM   #13

Too late to the party. Love my Blue Ox and works as designed. Install and setup was a breeze, hookup even easier.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by immarkhe View Post
Just to close out on this. I purchased a new equalizer 14000lb wd hitch. ...
I quieted my Equal-i-zer a LOT by using their Sway Bracket Jackets, and with little greasy mess by using a paraffin product (*) on the bar socket surfaces.

(*) I use a bicycle chain-lube product called White Lightning. It's a paraffin in a solvent carrier which wicks in, then the solvent evaporates. No noticeable reduction in sway control, lots less noise (and yes, Equal-i-zer says it is acceptable to lube the bar sockets this way).
austex is offline   Reply With Quote