Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2016, 11:16 PM   #1

WD system setup...little ground clearance

When I purchased my 2015 Keystone Hideout the dealer setup the WD hitch and said I need a new shank to help level the trailer. I was a rookie to the towing world so I went with the story and figured they knew best. Now that I'm heading into my second year towing the trailer I'm starting to realize the WD bars are very low.

I have attached a picture showing the setup. The clearance from bar to ground is only about 3-4 inches. The trailer sits pretty level and the wheel well gap says about the same before and after hook up.Click image for larger version

Name:	23fc9c81-7fc1-4f3c-88b5-538300e1aac0.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	133657

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to increase the ground clearance of the bars without having to raise the axle on the trailer.

I have also noticed that the coupler frame is mounted underneath the main frame of the trailer. This gives it a lot lower profile and I do not see many other trailers like that.

Comments and Suggestions are welcome

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 07:12 AM   #2

Here is a hitch with the bars higher:

Old 07-20-2016, 08:04 AM   #3

Is your trailer level??
Old 07-20-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenrag View Post
I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to increase the ground clearance of the bars without having to raise the axle on the trailer.
I can't tell for certain by looking at your photo, but I'm pretty sure you have a round-bar hitch. The big reason to not buy a round-bar hitch is because the spring bars come out of the bottom of the ball mount and go down before curving back up and heading for the trailer tongue. The result is reduced ground clearance between the bottom of the spring bars and the ground.

The fix is to sell that round-bar WD hitch and replace it with a trunnion bar hitch. The trunnion bars come out of the back of the ball mount and go to the tongue of the trailer without first going down towards the ground. Replacing the hitch would probably be less expensive than lifting the trailer and raising the ball mount on the current hitch.

Trunnion bar hitches include Equal-I-Zer and Blue Ox, as well as Reese Strait-Line. Here is a link to myReese Strait-Line WD hitch with trunnion bars:
http://www.etrailer.com/static/image...on_15_1000.jpg

Reese also makes the Strait-Line hitch with round bars. Here is a link to the Strait-Line hitch with round bars so you can see the difference in ground clearance.
Strait-Line Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Round Bar - 10,000 lbs GTW, 800 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66087
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #5

It is hard to tell from the picture because I'm parked on a bit of a slope but the trailer has about a 1 inch drop in the front when parked on level ground.
I will check into the other WD bar systems are mentioned because I don't really want to flip the axle because the weight transfer becomes unstable. With the mountain road around here that is the last thing I want.

Thank for the feedback
Old 07-20-2016, 09:49 AM   #6

I just phoned my local RV parts store and got a quote for two different systems. I was shocked at the price variance and the lady on the phone could not explain why one was double the price. (These are Cdn $). Can anyone provide feedback on these two options.

$464
750# PRO-SERIES TRUNNION W/D
Pro Series™ Trunnion Wt. Dist. Kit w/#63970 Shank, 10,000 lbs. (GTW), 800 lbs. (TW)

$880
800# STRAIT-LINE TRUNNION BAR
Strait-Line® 800 lbs. Trunnion Bar
Old 07-21-2016, 08:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenrag View Post
Can anyone provide feedback on these two options.

$464
750# PRO-SERIES TRUNNION W/D
Pro Series™ Trunnion Wt. Dist. Kit w/#63970 Shank, 10,000 lbs. (GTW), 800 lbs. (TW)

$880
800# STRAIT-LINE TRUNNION BAR
Strait-Line® 800 lbs. Trunnion Bar
The Pro-Series is the economy line from Reese. IOW, that's a cheap hitch. The Strait-Line is much, much better, especially the sway prevention. Spend the money and go with the Strait-Line.

Other brands work about as good as the Strait-Line, but the ones that do cost about as much as the Strait-Line. Equal-I-Zer and Blue Ox are good sway-control/WD hitches, and they don't make "economy" hitches.

You can save a few bucks on the good hitches by ordering them from an on-line discount trailer parts dealer, such as ETrailer.com. Here's the Strait-Line with 800 pounds tongue weight. (Ignore the GTW and go by the TW). Less than $550.
Reese Strait-Line Trunnion bar WD hitch with 800 pounds TW

You want the tongue weight rating to be higher than maximum tongue weight you might have. 800 pounds TW is good for a TT that grosses less than 6,154 pounds. If your TT has GVWR more than 6,154, then you should move up to the 1,200 pounds TW rating.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:00 PM   #8

We had a keystone hideout and had the same exact problem. I ended up flipping the axles. That gave me decent ground clearance.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:21 AM   #9

Your trailer has the A frame of the tongue attached under the main frame of the trailer which is not only weaker but also causes ground clearance problems. Take a look at Arctic Fox trailers and Outdoors RV, they have videos on their site showing the difference. Your best bet is to flip the axles for more clearance. It will not cause instability, many trailers come that way now for access to forest service roads.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:10 PM   #10

I will be calling the mechanic tomorrow to quote me on flipping the axle. Are there any other alternatives to flipping the axle?
Old 07-24-2016, 08:27 PM   #11

Flip the axles in your driveway. I did. But the best thing I did was sell it. Hideouts are junk.