Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2016, 07:58 PM   #1

WD with sway. Go a little heavy or light?

I have pretty much decided to go with the Blue Ox Sway Pro. My question is that I anticipate a loaded tongue weight of around 700 lbs. Also, I realize as I keep adding more and more cargo thru the years that will rise. So do I go with the 750lb or 1000lb Sway Pro? I haven't purchased my trailer yet. I am trying to keep all my weights in line and that will ultimately help me decide on the trailer I purchase. Again, this 700-750 is not the "listed dry hitch weight" it what I will be shooting for with my loaded trailer. And I will have a hitch scale to measure my tongue weight so I can play with load distributin while keeping between acceptable ranges on tongue weight. Will 1000lb be too stiff or 750 to light if it does TW does go up to 800? Input appreciated.
8ptspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Go with the one that is closest to 13% of the trailer GVWR. If you want to be prepared for the worst, use 15% the math.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:01 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'd go with the 1000 lb bars. I don't think its too much. I had the stiffer bars (equalizer) with our first trailer which was a small 16ft. Nash. It didn't make anything feel too stiff.
Sounds like you're doing a good job researching weights before you decide on a TT.

Have fun shopping around!
infowars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You want the WD hitch rated for the most tongue weight you might ever need to tow with it. Too light a hitch is not good. There is almost no such thing as too heavy duty a hitch if it is adjustable. The Blue Ox is adjustable, so go with the 1,000 pound spring bars. Just don't tighten the spring bars as tight as possible.

My tongue weight is around 650 pounds, and my infinitely-adjustable ProPride hitch is rated for up to 1,400 pounds TW. So I crank the spring bars up to only about half as tight as they will go, and it works great.

For a Blue Ox that uses chain lengths to adjust the tension on the spring bars, one whole chain length may be too much adjustment to hit the sweet spot. In that case, adjust the u-bolt where the chain attaches to the trunnion bar and shorten or lengthen the amount of u-bolt that sticks up through the trunnion bar only the amount you need to get a perfect adjustment. Using that tecnhnique, the Blue Ox is also infinitely adjustable while costing a lot less than a ProPride.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #5

I'd go with the 1000 ld bars. My tongue wt is 650 and it doesn't ride rough and if I want to load it down I don't need to get stiffer bars.
lcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:32 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've got to get it weighed but I am pretty sure it's close to 1200 or so. Would that put me at 1000 or 1500 bars?
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:32 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Weigh it. If you just can't/won't, go up instead of down (my opinion only).
Old 08-18-2016, 10:18 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I've got to get it weighed but I am pretty sure it's close to 1200 or so. Would that put me at 1000 or 1500 bars?
1,500. You want the spring bars rated for at least as much tongue weight (TW) as you will ever have on that trailer. If you think you will never exceed 1,200 TW, then the one rated for 1200 TW is the one you want. But I you might have more than 1,200 TW, then you want the one rated for 1,500 TW.

Most good WD hitches have one model rated for 1,200 pounds TW. For example. Reese Strait-Line Trunnion Bar is available with TW of 600, 800, 1,200, 1,500 and 1,700. Strait-Line is not offered with 1,000-pound spring bars, and that's what I'd like to have. My TW rating is 800 pounds, but it's right up against the limit when my cargo trailer is loaded close to the 7,000-pound GVWR.

Here is the Reese sales pitch for the Strait-Line. Note they can be either round bar or trunnion bar, and with or without the adjustable shank. You must pay attention to details when ordering a Strait-Line, because the ones without an adjustable shank do not proclaim that fact in bold text. But you must have an adjustable shank to use the hitch, so if you don't already have an adjustable shank that will fit the Strait-Line ball mount, be sure you order the one with the shank. One hint is that the ones with shank cost about $100 more than the ones without at eTrailer.com or Amazon.com.

Reese - Strait-Line

And here is the description of the Strait-Line Trunnion Bar with spring bars rated for 1,200 pounds TW:
Reese - Strait-Line Trunnion Bar
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I kind of like the looks and simplicity of the Blue ox sway pro hitch and they go 1000 to 1500, no 1200. I guess the 1500 to be safe. Still not exactly sure how the anti-sway works on it over any other bar type WD hitch but never herd anything bad about them or that they don't work.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light