Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #15

Tank you for your response. I have been so uneasy about this mess I've got myself into. I completely jumped the gun and bought to much trailer. I misunderstood almost everything and believed My Ford dealer, the owners manual, and the RV dealership. My only concern is for the safety of my family and everyone else On the highway. I have spent much of today trying to trade up to a better towing vehicle. Lesson learned the hard way.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeJoe View Post
I have spent much of today trying to trade up to a better towing vehicle.
Don't aim too low. There is only one late-model SUV that can tow an 8,500 pound TT without being overload, and that is a GMC Yukon XL 2500 or sister Chevy Suburban 2500. Not the 1500 which is 98% of all Suburbans and Yukon XLs, but only the 2500 model. And forget about the shorty Tahoe and ordinary Yukon without the XL added to the name - they don't come in a 2500 version.

A great tow vehicle is the 2000-2003.25 Ford Excursion with the 7.3L diesel engine, but the newest ones are over 10 years old. And if you find a nice one for sale, my recent research indicates it will probably cost you around $15,000.

Better than an SUV would be a CrewCab pickup, but again, skip the F-150 and GM/FIAT 1500s and go for at least a 250/2500. My F-150 CrewCab 4x2 EcoBoost is overloaded with my TT that grosses less than 5,000 pounds. If you special order a new F-150, you can get one with the HD Payload pkg that will be barely adequate for an 8,500 pound trailer, but dealers don't stock them. And used ones with the HD Payload pkg and trim level better than the hired hand's "work truck" level are rare as hen's teeth.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I'm pretty sure this is wrong. So, I will try again to illustrate. First, you can easily reach GCWR with an empty tow vehicle...happens when towing a very heavy trailer. And...in the '70's Eaz Lift used an Olds Tornado (full sized front wheel drive car) with a WDH to tow a boat and TT...the Tornado needed no rear tires.

Hope this helps.
Best of luck and safe travels
How much weight you think was on the front tires. I bet the Old's WAS over GVWR. GVWR is not just the rear. It's the whole vehicle

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Most TTs have tongue weight of about 12 to 15 percent of trailer weight, with 12.5% being the norm. So for an 8,500 pound trailer, tongue weight should be about 1,020 to 1,275, with 1062 being the norm.

The tongue weight doesn't change. The WDH distributes that tongue weight to three different areas, the front axle, the rear axle, and the trailer axles. About 25% of the tongue weight goes to the front axle, another 25% goes to the trailer axles, and about 50% remains on the rear axle of the TV.

So if your tongue weight is 1,000 pounds, expect around 250 pounds to be added to the front axle of the TV, another 250 pounds to trailer axles, and the remaining 500 pounds to wind up on the rear axle of the TV.

No. The rear GAWR doesn't change. But your actual weight on the rear axle will change. Here's mine:

2840 unloaded weight on rear axle
3880 wet and loaded weight on the rear axle without WDH
3520 wet and loaded weight on the rear axle with WDH
3850 rear GAWR

You don't care what the weight on the rear axle is without the WDH connected and adjusted, because you never tow without the WDH adjusted. But when on the road, weigh the rig on a certified automated truck (CAT) scale while the WDH is hooked up, and compare the weight on the rear axle of the TV to the rear GAWR of the TV. So in my case, 3520 wet and loaded weight on the rear axle with WDH compared to 3850 rear GAWR.

Here's a CAT scale ticket I got on a long towing trip trip last year:

3360 front axle (3750 front GAWR)
3840 rear axle (3850 rear GAWR)
-------
7200 GVW (7100 GVWR)
4220 trailer axles
-----------
11,420 GCW (14,000 GCWR)
================

So no problem with axle weights, but slightly overloaded over the GVWR of my TV.

The tow rating does not indicate the weight of a trailer you can tow without being overloaded. It tells you only the weight you can pull without being a rolling roadblock on hills or mountain passes, and without burning up something in the drivetrain.

Your GCWR is 15,000 pounds, so with a tow rating of 9,000 pounds that means your wet and loaded SUV cannot weigh more than 6,000 pounds if you want to tow a trailer that weighs close to 9,000 pounds. But any trip across the scales will show that your wet and loaded SUV ready for the road weighs a lot more than 6,000 pounds. So ignore that 9,000 pound tow rating and compute your realistic tow rating. Here's how:

Load the SUV with driver, family, pet(s), tools, other stuff, including the shank and ball mount from your WD hitch. Go to a truckstop that has a truck scale and fill up with gas. Then weigh the wet and loaded SUV (without a trailer). Subtract the weight of the SUV from the GVWR of the SUV and the answer is the max hitch weight you can have without being overloaded. Divide that max hitch weight by 15% (0.15) and the answer is the max weight of any TT you want to tow.

My guess? The max weight of any TT you want to tow is a lot less than the 8,500 pounds in your post.
There you go. Right answere.

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Tank you for your response. I have been so uneasy about this mess I've got myself into. I completely jumped the gun and bought to much trailer. I misunderstood almost everything and believed My Ford dealer, the owners manual, and the RV dealership. My only concern is for the safety of my family and everyone else On the highway. I have spent much of today trying to trade up to a better towing vehicle. Lesson learned the hard way.
Probably a good decision. You will be much happier with the way a larger truck tows. The down side is the loss of the SUV interior space.

SO NOW, all you have to decide is 1/2, 3/4 or 1 Ton model, 2 door or extended cab, gas or Diesel, manual or auto transmission, 2 or 4 wheel drive...Ford, Dodge or Chevy

Best of luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #20

OK First I want to thank everyone for turning me in the right direction. Today I said goodbye to one of the nicest vehicles I've ever owned, and it was hard to do, but I purchased a new 2012 F350 Lariat with all the bells and whistles. I was very surprised with the way it handles and rides. I expected a much worse than it actually is. The big thing though is I just got rid of all the stress and anxiety that I was dealing with. Now I feel like I'm ready for the road. I pick up our trailer on the 12th and all should be good.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
OK First I want to thank everyone for turning me in the right direction. Today I said goodbye to one of the nicest vehicles I've ever owned, and it was hard to do, but I purchased a new 2012 F350 Lariat with all the bells and whistles. I was very surprised with the way it handles and rides. I expected a much worse than it actually is. The big thing though is I just got rid of all the stress and anxiety that I was dealing with. Now I feel like I'm ready for the road. I pick up our trailer on the 12th and all should be good.
WOW! That's a great truck...gas or Diesel?

Best of luck and safe travels!
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryallan View Post
How much weight you think was on the front tires. I bet the Old's WAS over GVWR. GVWR is not just the rear. It's the whole vehicle
Probably, but it was done only to demonstrate the weight distributing hitch properties, not for real world use.
Even with a normal WDH it is completely possible to life the rear wheels off the ground, my dad did it with an Airstream Excell 500 and a IH "crummy". It wasn't really hard to do either.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #23
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Probably, but it was done only to demonstrate the weight distributing hitch properties, not for real world use.
Even with a normal WDH it is completely possible to life the rear wheels off the ground, my dad did it with an Airstream Excell 500 and a IH "crummy". It wasn't really hard to do either.
No, wait, what, Really...?

No rear wheels on a '70's Olds towing a TT was for demonstration purposes only?

And hold-on...from reading many of the previous posts, there MUST be at least 50% of the tongue weight on the rear axle with a WDH...the scale said so.

Only kidding...I know it's all in how the WDH is adjusted. Thanks for the post...but what is a IH "Crummy"? I had a Scout, Travelall, and Pick-up, but never heard of a crummy
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-04-2013, 05:19 AM   #24

Gas, Crew Cab, 4 Wheel Drive,
Old 04-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... I purchased a new 2012 F350 Lariat with all the bells and whistles...Gas, Crew Cab, 4 Wheel Drive,
Nice! You'll love everything about it but the MPG. MPG should be comparable to what the Expedition gets with similar load, so it's not bad. But it's not as good as what other pickups with other powertrains get.

With a 3.73 axle ratio, the GCWR is 19,000 and tow rating is 12,100 pounds. That doesn't mean you can tow a TT that weighs 12,000 pounds with your normal family and other stuff in the truck, but up to around 10,000 pounds should work great.

With single rear wheels (SRW) and 6.5' bed, the GVWR is 11,300. So if that's your truck, then when loaded for bear for a big RV outing, you shouldn't have any problem with the almost 1,300 pounds hitch weight of your TT overloading you tow vehicle.

Your standard receiver hitch is probably rated for up to 1,250 pounds hitch weight with a weight-distributing hitch. So pay attention to hitch weight when loading the TT and try not to exceed 1,250 pounds tongue weight. That should be no problem if your hitch weight is the normal 12.5% of gross trailer weight and you keep the trailer weight to less than 8,500 pounds. But it might be a problem if your TT is like mine with 15% hitch weight.

I hope "all the bells and whistles" includes the integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC). The order guide is not clear if it's standard or optional on a Lariat SRW. It's definitely standard on a DRW. But I suspect you didn't buy a "one ton Dooley". If it doesn't have the ITBC, you need to have a Ford dealer install it. That's a much better trailer brake controller than any of the available aftermarket controllers at anywhere near the same price.

Your new tow vehicle has "Powerscope" trailer tow mirrors. That's great! Much better than trying to add towing mirrors to an SUV.

Enjoy!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #26

Just picked up our new trailer today. I am so glad that we purchased the F350. It does have the integrated towing system. And it pulls at 1500 to 2300 rpm with lots of power to spare. gas mileage at 12.7 with trailer in tow, and 14.7 with out. Thanks again, for the great advice.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Just picked up our new trailer today. I am so glad that we purchased the F350. It does have the integrated towing system. And it pulls at 1500 to 2300 rpm with lots of power to spare. gas mileage at 12.7 with trailer in tow, and 14.7 with out. Thanks again, for the great advice.
Congrats again! That's a nice truck. The truck will not be working as hard as a smaller truck with the same load, so it will get good mileage and last longer too.

Are you going to use the WDH with this new truck? You could because the WDH does sway control as well as the weight shifting, but your big truck will ride better with the right amount of weight on those stiff rear springs. My Dodge 3500 DWR loves having about 500-750lb in the back for a soft ride...anything less and it is a bit of a buckboard on segmented roads.

So, if you do use the WDH, it will just not need to be adjusted up as tight or as high as it was for your old truck.

Best of luck and safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
No, wait, what, Really...?

No rear wheels on a '70's Olds towing a TT was for demonstration purposes only?

And hold-on...from reading many of the previous posts, there MUST be at least 50% of the tongue weight on the rear axle with a WDH...the scale said so.

Only kidding...I know it's all in how the WDH is adjusted. Thanks for the post...but what is a IH "Crummy"? I had a Scout, Travelall, and Pick-up, but never heard of a crummy
Travall.
We always called the crummies when the WA Dot used them.

PS, I see a misspelling in my post, it was an Airstream Excella 500 that they had.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote