Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #1

WDH bars intechangeable?

I have the round spring bars but think i may need stronger ones. Are all the round spring bars the same? Im looking to find a used pair to try. thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep13 View Post
I have the round spring bars but think i may need stronger ones. Are all the round spring bars the same? Im looking to find a used pair to try. thanks
No; they are sized by weight capacity. The correctly-sized bars are required for the corresponding tongue weight. Bars that are too heavy will cause problems.
Is your hitch properly set-up? Here are the instructions for setting up a trailer hitch.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
No; they are sized by weight capacity. The correctly-sized bars are required for the corresponding tongue weight. Bars that are too heavy will cause problems.
Is your hitch properly set-up? Here are the instructions for setting up a trailer hitch.
Thanks Ray, I guess its ok then. My front raise returned to normal, but the rear dropped about an inch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130726_152853.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	43084  
Old 07-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #4

Looks good.

How well does it tow.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
Looks good.

How well does it tow.

thanks. It could use some more power but other than that it does everything else very well. Much better tv than my pervious 1999 ford explorer was. Trailer weight is around 4200lbs loaded and I needed to add a reinforced hitch, stiffer shocks and engine oil cooler.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #6

Well that's good.

That's a lot of weight on that dodge. Good to know what they can do.

What year is the van. They are are starting to impress me.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #7

its a 2010 and Ive had it since new....so far so good. it gets about 17-18L/100km (12.6 mpg) highway in 5th (1:1) but will downshift to 4th on the steep grades to maintain speed. It feels very stable and smooth when towing compared to some suv's ive used in the past. Its a tough balance trying to find a fuel efficient daily driver that can fit in the garage and still be able to tow heavy trailers... maybe one day dodge will put a diesel in there minivan lol.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #8

Yes a diesel would be nice.

I am using a 06 chevy colorado crew cab xtream edition.

Tows good. Just wish it had the 6 speed vs the 4 speed. I can keep it in 4th most of the time down shift to 3 on big hills.

But I have tuned and modded the truck to make more power than stock. So it all helps out.

But have a fun summer camping.